“Great stay, friendly staff, and comfortable rooms.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #41 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
“Great stay, friendly staff, and comfortable rooms.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed here for Heroes Con 2012. We had a problem with our reservation, but the front desk helped us out and got us into our room. Wonderful bed, flat screen and large bathroom. Very quiet. Had a great time.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed here to visit friends and its updated over last year in the front lounge area with a modern bistro style restaurant with healthy food choices and a gym with free weights. Rooms are atill a bit dated. Small resort style pool area.

• Stayed June 2012
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at this property for 3 nights on a weekend. The property looks maintained, it's in a wonderful area full of high end dining and shopping. The rooms were good size for no more than 3 or 4 comfortably, nice balcony and the food was delicious. The roomservice was wonderful, whenever we needed shampoo, more towels or whatever. Front desk, needs some work. Young people working who just had mediocre communication skills. The ONE thing that really got me, was they dont serve breakfast until 7:30 on the weekend. 7:30! People are up and on the way out before then, so maybe start it sooner and extend the hours. Complimentary newspapers, coffee, internet and printer, fax service, which I personally used. This location is more for overnight or business. Overall, worth the stay, but should be priced better.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Courtyard used to be a brand name you could depend on for quality. However, in recent years, Courtyard has become the brand within Marriot that has received the most neglect.

This Courtyard falls into that category. This hotel has major issues for anyone that would consider this hotel for business or pleasure that wants anything better than low quality for the price.

Biggest issue: Internet / wi-fi speeds. Speeds of this hotel are 0.4 mbps and lower. It regularly took 10-15 seconds per page to load, OFTEN 30-60 seconds per page. This is totally unacceptable. This issue has been reported on Trip Advisor for YEARS and yet there has been no improvement. This shows serious disregard for customers by management.

The layout of courtyard rooms was 'updated' a couple of years ago and the bed was moved off the wall adjoining the next room to the wall adjoining the closet. Problem is now the TV is directly to the left of the bed, forcing you to have to turn you're heard almost at a 90 degree angle to watch TV. This becomes extremely uncomfortable after about 15 minutes.

CONS
TV selection is poor, about 40 channels - mostly news and sports. They don't even have the weather channel, one of the most important channels for those travelling.
As part of the 'update' the bedding was changed - it is now extremely thing bedding. If you like to keep the room cool and use the bedding to keep warm, you are out of lock.
No microwave in room.
Bed is a very unsupportive mattress - like a giant sponge.
No free continental breakfast. Luckily, there is a Starbucks, Panera Bread Company, and Original Pancake House a short drive from the hotel.

PROS
Location: The hotel is close to a small-medium high end shopping mall, restaurants, grocery store, and movie theaters, and is not too far from uptown (downtown) Charlotte. The area around the hotel is office park and residential, so the area is quiet.

Bottom Line:
If you are a business traveler or leisure wanting a modern hotel with good quality internet and TV, do not stay here - this hotel will not meet your needs.
But, if you are simply looking for a basic hotel for a night's sleep, in a good location, and don't expect much from the hotel - this hotel will be fine.

Marriot needs to decide soon, though, what the Courtyard brand will represent in the future. Courtyard has become the brand of neglect within the Marriot family and not deserving of the Marriot name.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Alanna N, Property Coordinator at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte SouthPark, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Paul,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. We always use our guest’s feedback to try to better our hotel to better service our guests. We have been made aware of our internet connectivity issues. We have been in the process of getting this fixed, as we know how important it is for our guests to remain connected & productive while they are away. By early July, our internet connectivity speed will be 10 times faster that it currently is.

Our lobby recently was renovated in April 2011 to include the new Courtyard Bistro, designed with the business traveler in mind. The Courtyard Bistro has been designed to give travelers a space that provides the flexibility to work, relax, eat, drink & socialize all in one spot. The Courtyard brand does not offer a free continental breakfast, but the Bistro gives our guests the options purchase a variety of breakfast items ranging from Starbuck’s Coffee to French toast that is made fresh just for you! In addition to the Bistro, we also have The Market that is available 24/7 for guests to purchase supplies, drinks & food items. The Market is also complete with a microwave that is always available for guest use.

The Courtyard SouthPark will be undergoing another renovation beginning early 2013 to update our guest rooms. This renovation will be complete with all new room furnishings.

Paul, thank you again for your feedback. We do hope you choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Charlotte, as we are in the process of fixing these areas that are critical to our guest’s satisfaction.

Best Regards,

Alanna Nice
Property Coordinator
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel the week of April 23rd. I was there two days and stayed there because of the part of town. A great part of town, however, this Courtyard suffered from a number of problems. First- their wi-fi was not supporting the people staying there. I could not get online to do my work. Also- I could not get a cell signal in my room. So- I literally had to leave the hotel to do my work- after my work day. If you're a traveling business person you know that you spend the day in appointments and meetings. THEN you go to your hotel to do your work (everything else you could not get to during the day). All I ask is a connection, clean room, and a comfortable bed. They had 1 of those.

When I asked the front desk if there was a problem with the wi-fi, she gave me a well-trained Marriott smile and told me that she was sorry, but they are having some issues. Well....I suspect I was not the only one pissed off. And, with the DNC coming to town, I suspect they'll need to get the broadband upgraded. But....the pillows and mattress are still an issue. What is it about Marriott and their pillow troubles? How does Starwood get bed comfort so well, and Marriott cannot seem to figure it out at all? After all- we are there to sleep.

Anyway- I could not do my work. Could not sleep. So, finally, on my last day there I came back to the hotel midday to get lunch. I was between appointments and I figured I could take advantage of the new "Bistro" they kept selling to me while I was there. (full menu- remodeled front area). So I got there at 1pm, only to be told with a Marriott Smile: "I'm sorry, we don't serve lunch at the Bistro. Only breakfast and dinner." OK then.....no food, no sleep, no work. Cannot think of another reason to ever stay there. That's just me, but frankly, I've to too many choices out there and some of them get it. Frankly- I've been a Courtyard fan for years, but they have become a shell of what they were. I know many of them look better since they've been remodeled, but they've been met and passed by a number of other brands now. Shame. Marriott used to have this down.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

The rooms are very nice--comfortable and clean. I stay here frequently and was disappointed on my most recent visit. All of my concerns have to do with the cafe and lobby area. Service at the cafe was ok from a quality perspective, but the counter staff never cracked a smile. They seemed too busy to relate to customers positively. The complimentary coffee was empty when I came for a cup at 9:30 a.m. and it took about 20 minutes to get it refilled. A beer can from the night before (?) was still on a table in the sitting area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Alanna N, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte SouthPark, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Courtyard Charlotte SouthPark. I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience.

On behalf of the Management Team here, I apologize that we fell below our own high level of service standards during your recent stay. We had an associate who had to leave unexpectedly Sunday morning at 9:15 am, 15 minutes prior to peak departure and Bistro times. I know we were not prepared for it and I am very sorry that it affected your stay with us. I even watched the guest actually place that beer can and cup on the communal table and it was at least 10 minutes before I could remove it.

Please know that we are making the appropriate adjustments to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you again for thinking of us when you are in Charlotte. Please contact us directly if you need anything.

Ashley Clemons
Assistant General Manager
Courtyard Charlotte SouthPark
Mission Viejo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This hotel is not the nicest but is sufficient for a few days. It's located in a very nice area near many of the best restaurants in the city plus the lobby staff is very attentive and helpful. The lobby looks like an upscale restaurant and in fact they also serve a limited selection of food items.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks into the center courtyard area otherwise you'll be looking at the park...