“Very Good Stay!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charlotte Express Inn

Charlotte Express Inn
You added Charlotte Express Inn to your Saves list
Charlotte Express Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1240 Lucky Penny Street, Charlotte, NC 28208 (Formerly Real Value Inn)   |
Ranked #152 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Maryland
“Very Good Stay!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

I would definitely stay here again. The rooms look like they have been recently renovated and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. After speaking to the onwers, I found out that this hotel has changed management a few months back and it really shows! The rooms are cheap and clean, and it is conveniently located off I-85.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

jeffnewman28208
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I paid for 1 weeks stay. The staff and management is so incompettent that after the first night the maids discarded everything I left in the room. I complained and they said the room I am staying in usually is rented nightly not weekly. For the next 4 days the maids never came to the room and I had no towels. Then when they finally came again they discarded all my things. Eye glasses, toiletties including a box of contact lenses and all my clothes. I complained to they owners and they tries to blame me saying take all your belongings with you and we are not responible for anything.

The room. Very noisy becuase it borders I-85. Overall moldy and musty smell. Sink and shower are clogged. Carpet is all grungy and nasty. A lot of prostitutes and drug dealing in area.

For $10 more dollars get off in Tyvola or University area for better name like Motel 6 or something.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Roanoke, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Just wanted to post that this is a great hotel to stay. The people where generous and very informational when trying to find my hotel room. If I visit Charlotte again rest assure I would come back to the Real Value Inn.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

This was my third stay at Real Value Inn,I frequently go to Charlotte for business. This property has very compassionate staff & provides really a comfortable stay with clean rooms with inroom coffee maker,Refrigerator,Hair Dryer for a very reasonable price tag of $ 40.00 a night with a complimentary HOT BREAKFAST.
Very Close to down town,Airport & Interstate 85.
This Motel is suitable for for Economy looking guests with good clean comfortable rooms.

• Liked — Hot morning Muffins
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

I took my son to wrestling at Charlotte Bobcat Areana and booked this room for two nights.
Let me list some of the things wrong
Lost my reservations so two people came knocking on the motel door wanting to know why I did not leave at check out time to kick me out. (Found reservations and made apology)
1 am girl knocking on door hollaring out some guys name to come out.
Beds you could feel springs and one bed had no flat sheet on it and the other had small holes in it.
Hair in the bathtub
breakfast - toast,coffee and hard brownies
pool closed and not in service
If I was in better $ shape would have took my son and found another motel. I very scary two nights but on the bright side my son loved the wrestling show. :o)
The motel does not even deserve a rating

• Liked — close to Bobcat Arena
  • Disliked — motel condition,enviroment and disorganization
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

I agree with all the other reviews. This was the slimiest, most horrible place I have ever attempted to stay in. I actually walked away and found another hotel, even though I had paid in advance and it is supposedly non-refundable. (I'm working on that.) When I arrived at this motel, I was absolutely dismayed by the condition of the facility. I felt extremely unsafe and felt completely misled by the motel's website. The door to the room was flimsy, with light showing through around the entire door frame. It looked like it could be broken down quite easily. The carpets were extremely stained, the two beds sagged significantly in the middle and the bedspreads were thin and shabby. The bathroom was dirty and the towels were threadbare and tiny. The premises reminded me of something that would be used on an hourly basis rather than nightly. The men wandering around the premises looked shady and made me nervous. I was worried whether my car would still be intact in the morning, and I definitely would not have left any of my possessions in that room if I needed to go out.

Stayed April 2008
Louisville, KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

I booked my $50/night 2-night reservation with Real Value Inn in Charlotte, NC through Expedia.com for a business trip. I try to book cheap on business trips because, while I will be reimbursed, I still must pay upfront costs on my debit card. Next time, after my Real Value Inn Charlotte experience, I will spring for an expensive hotel.

The night I checked in, I was treated as though I were bothering the staff at the counter. One woman, who appeared to be a manager, talked on her cell phone the whole time. Another, working on the computer, told someone in the back to "hold on while I deal with this guy." The woman on the cell phone WALKED me to my room, gave me what she must have considered a grand tour, but already I knew I was in for a poor experience. She quickly left the room, saying, "I'll let you get undressed now."

The neighborhood in which this hotel is located seems dangerous. Cars pulled up for a few minutes, guys came out to the cars, and then the cars quickly drove away. My chain latch barely fit. The hairdryer was falling off its wall plate (and did not work in the outlet to which it was connected). The bathroom was dirty, with stained and gritty tile. The refrigerator froze items as opposed to keeping them simply cold. There was no iron or ironing board. There were no clothes hangers. The heat barely worked when turned up to 80. The connecting door was blocked off using the room's furniture. The bed was falling apart, with springs dragging the ground. The phone was rigged up and cut in and out, making it impossible to make calls.

One of the odd things about this hotel was they claimed to prohibit visitors after 8pm (I found this little note on the reservation form I signed, but 10pm was the cutoff in the 'house rules' posted in my room). The carpet was stained and lumpy. Some of the lights didn't work and I would feel a slight electric shock when turning on some of the lights. When I woke up to brush my teeth on the final night, I turned on the faucet, and a roach scattered from the sink. If that had happened any sooner, I would have canceled my stay. Luckily, it was time to leave that awful place.

Don't stay at Real Value Inn Charlotte. There are reputable hotels in that city. As a cheapskate, I know how important it is to save money. But, from now on, I'm not skimping when it comes to hotels. I have truly learned my lesson.

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Charlotte Express Inn? Share your experiences!