“OH MY Gosh!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Charlotte Express Inn

Charlotte Express Inn
You added Charlotte Express Inn to your Saves list
Charlotte Express Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1240 Lucky Penny Street, Charlotte, NC 28208 (Formerly Real Value Inn)   |
Ranked #150 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
North Carolina
“OH MY Gosh!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

I took my son to wrestling at Charlotte Bobcat Areana and booked this room for two nights.
Let me list some of the things wrong
Lost my reservations so two people came knocking on the motel door wanting to know why I did not leave at check out time to kick me out. (Found reservations and made apology)
1 am girl knocking on door hollaring out some guys name to come out.
Beds you could feel springs and one bed had no flat sheet on it and the other had small holes in it.
Hair in the bathtub
breakfast - toast,coffee and hard brownies
pool closed and not in service
If I was in better $ shape would have took my son and found another motel. I very scary two nights but on the bright side my son loved the wrestling show. :o)
The motel does not even deserve a rating

• Liked — close to Bobcat Arena
  • Disliked — motel condition,enviroment and disorganization
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

I agree with all the other reviews. This was the slimiest, most horrible place I have ever attempted to stay in. I actually walked away and found another hotel, even though I had paid in advance and it is supposedly non-refundable. (I'm working on that.) When I arrived at this motel, I was absolutely dismayed by the condition of the facility. I felt extremely unsafe and felt completely misled by the motel's website. The door to the room was flimsy, with light showing through around the entire door frame. It looked like it could be broken down quite easily. The carpets were extremely stained, the two beds sagged significantly in the middle and the bedspreads were thin and shabby. The bathroom was dirty and the towels were threadbare and tiny. The premises reminded me of something that would be used on an hourly basis rather than nightly. The men wandering around the premises looked shady and made me nervous. I was worried whether my car would still be intact in the morning, and I definitely would not have left any of my possessions in that room if I needed to go out.

Stayed April 2008
Louisville, KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

I booked my $50/night 2-night reservation with Real Value Inn in Charlotte, NC through Expedia.com for a business trip. I try to book cheap on business trips because, while I will be reimbursed, I still must pay upfront costs on my debit card. Next time, after my Real Value Inn Charlotte experience, I will spring for an expensive hotel.

The night I checked in, I was treated as though I were bothering the staff at the counter. One woman, who appeared to be a manager, talked on her cell phone the whole time. Another, working on the computer, told someone in the back to "hold on while I deal with this guy." The woman on the cell phone WALKED me to my room, gave me what she must have considered a grand tour, but already I knew I was in for a poor experience. She quickly left the room, saying, "I'll let you get undressed now."

The neighborhood in which this hotel is located seems dangerous. Cars pulled up for a few minutes, guys came out to the cars, and then the cars quickly drove away. My chain latch barely fit. The hairdryer was falling off its wall plate (and did not work in the outlet to which it was connected). The bathroom was dirty, with stained and gritty tile. The refrigerator froze items as opposed to keeping them simply cold. There was no iron or ironing board. There were no clothes hangers. The heat barely worked when turned up to 80. The connecting door was blocked off using the room's furniture. The bed was falling apart, with springs dragging the ground. The phone was rigged up and cut in and out, making it impossible to make calls.

One of the odd things about this hotel was they claimed to prohibit visitors after 8pm (I found this little note on the reservation form I signed, but 10pm was the cutoff in the 'house rules' posted in my room). The carpet was stained and lumpy. Some of the lights didn't work and I would feel a slight electric shock when turning on some of the lights. When I woke up to brush my teeth on the final night, I turned on the faucet, and a roach scattered from the sink. If that had happened any sooner, I would have canceled my stay. Luckily, it was time to leave that awful place.

Don't stay at Real Value Inn Charlotte. There are reputable hotels in that city. As a cheapskate, I know how important it is to save money. But, from now on, I'm not skimping when it comes to hotels. I have truly learned my lesson.

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

living in those rooms. Plus it was a really bad neighbor hood. Alot This place was so nasty that I wouldn't let my pets stay there. First of all the lock did not work on the door. The carpet was so dirty and smelled like mildew. The outlets didn't work so you couldn't plug in the hair dryer that was provided. The cracks between the tiles on the bathroom floor and in the shower were black and moldy. The towels were way over used and were yellow instead of white. There was no sheets on the bed! A fitted sheet and a comforter that was black on the back side. The side that would be touching your body! There was a gap under the door that you could see right outside. The gap was about 2in big. Anything could be of people loitering around the building. The pics on the internet do not even come close to what it looks like. We were checked in for 1hr until I found another place to stay. Do not stay here. Trust me, pay the extra money for a nicer place.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Painesville, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

My stay at the Real Value Inn was not quite as I had expected. I will say that the clerks "reduced" cost of 30.00 per night should had been a real warning for me. They stated they had 90 rooms but could only let me have either the old managers room (where the manager lived) or the room I took. At that time the room looked clean with no signs of odors.
The hotel stated it has refrigderators in every room, they had to find one for me that worked. They also stated they had microwaves in every room, again they had to locate one for me. When I got to the room after working all day, the room felt cool. However, by 1000pm the air stopped working. By 1am I was miserable. I finally fell asleep as I had to be up by 5am. When I turned the lights on, I found roaches on my bed!! I ran to the shower only to have cold water..and left. This was a very bad experience for a hotel.

• Liked — the distance to my place of business
  • Disliked — the overall experience
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Charlotte Express Inn? Share your experiences!