“Nice place, good food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice place, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I visited mid-week - not many customers in the early evening. It's a small place in an old house on a street on which you aren't going to find other restaurants of this character. I'd describe the decor as very nice casual. We shared a fried calamari appetizer to start - the Movie Star - $10. The flavors were great, but the calamari tough, which I take it means it was over cooked. For our main courses, my wife had a summer salad with grilled shrimp ($15.50), which she thought very good. I had the stuffed cabbage -- actually one layer of cabbage leaves wrapped around ground beef and pork, in a smoked tomato sauce ($18) - excellent. So, although the fried calamari left something to be desired, overall the food was very good to excellent. The wine list is small, but includes good, reasonably priced choices. No complaint there. Service was prompt and earnest, but amateurish - not up to what you'd expect at this sort of venue. It's all about the training - here, apparently little, if any.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Charlotte, Nc
“A Must Try in Charlotte”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Lulu, a French-style restaurant on Central Avenue in Charlotte is one of those fun places, where the food is creative and beautifully prepared, and the service matches perfectly. I recently had the salmon over risotto and it was just about the best piece of salmon that I have had in years. It's a great location if you want to attend a show downtown. I would highly recommend the smoked fish appetizer which could easily be a light entree. Add a glass of wine, and you're set!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, NC
“Nice Cozy Restaurant....Mediocre Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Had a discount coupon to use at this restaurant. A little out of my way to go to. Restaurant has about 15 tables in an old house setting. Was seated at a table for two next to a light switch which the waitress had to adjust two times. Place was very busy and two servers were hopping around.
They were out of leg of lamb and my wife opted for chicken which she said was very good. Scallops for appetizer were very good. I had paella ( a little too spicy for me) but it was good.
Server did not give a lot of info about meals. You don't ask and they don't tell. Overall this place is good but I'm very picky and I don't rate too many restaurants as excellent. May or may not visit again. There are too many better restaurants closer to where I live.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Always decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Lulu is always reliable for decent food. Service is fine but neither is outstanding or over the top. Hot in summer and close tables make for steamy conditions inside when the restaurant is crowded. Fans do not make much difference to the temps.
We've had pate's, salmon w/risotto, mussels (always great) and all are just fine and reasonably priced. Decent wine list by the glass and bottle.
I happen to love rice pudding which is on the dessert menu, but this is not "traditional" with custard and rice, but more of a chef's creative version with much sweeter flavors almost as an ice cream sundae with the cooked rice being the ice cream and a caramel syrup topping. All liked the taste but I was hoping for "traditional"... Well worth a visit... but do so on a cooler evening for a more comfortable evening.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Wonderful dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

My cousin, his two children and I just had a delightful dinner here this past weekend. Ages ranged from 12 to 72 and we were all delighted with our appetizers, entrees & desserts. Well worth the visit. And a very nice wine list

• Visited June 2014