“Hot summer nights” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
North Carolina
“Hot summer nights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Great place for a spicy bite while walking the streets of NoDa...can't beat the atmosphere, brew and grub...awesome!

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Awesome Guacamole in a Fun, Relaxed atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I saw this restaurant on the food network and have been wanting to try it. I learned that it recently expanded so now has two big dining rooms and space for large parties. They also have a little patio out front which looks like it would be a ton of fun in the summer time!! Unfortunately it was freezing when I was there! The atmosphere inside is super funky and fun. There are blight colors and huge murals all over the walls. It seems like a great place for a fun group dinner, but I also saw a good number of families with small children.
The food was delicious!! I highly recommend the guacamole and the crab dip, they were both amazing!! the bloody mary's were also fantastic- not too spicy and not too strong, but definitely had a kick! I also had a quesadilla and substituted the shrimp for mahi, which was great! very generous portions and very very tasty!!
The service was pretty bad, but we weren't in a rush so it wasn't a big deal to me. Either way, I'd definitely go back for dinner, or just drinks and apps! and cant wait to try it in the summer time!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlote
“Great tacos, very creative, usually a long wait.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I love just about everything on the menu. My wife and I have tried most items and have never had anything bad. They have lots of creative items and specials, so you can be adventurous and try something new everytime. However, I love the shrimp tacos or anything with the BBQ mahi mahi.
This is a very casual restaurant in a trendy area and well priced if you want to eat well and not spend a lot of money.
The downside is they are extremely busy during dinner and the restaurant is very loud. Not really a problem, but just be prepared for an hour wait and a lively atmosphere.

Visited October 2011
Charlotte
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I'm not going to add anything that hasn't been said in the previous reviews. Saw this on DDD and had to try it. We always hear about how cool NoDa is and went there before the Foo Fighters concert this week. We did go around 7 on a Tuesday, so overall we weren't expecting that much of an experience, just some good food.
The Good: I had the TAVARUA (TAV–A-ROO) tuna tacos, they were great. Tuna was overcooked, but still fine and the honey-wasabi sauce was the star.
The Bad: My wife had the blackened Mahi tacos - very bland. The salsa sucked, the rice was cold and sucked, we both had a Margarita, bland and weak. Expensive as well, 4 tacos and 2 margaritas, with tip $42.00
Once again - Charlotte struggles to do anything well besides BBQ and Chains.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wow this place is cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I thought i had died and woke up in San Fransisco in 1969 :) This restaurant is located in the No Da district and around it are many cool shops . OK lets talk about the food, saw this on DDD and thought we wouldtry it .We were pleasently surprised , everything from the the food to the service was excellent . I just couldn't get my head around fish tacos, but i was very surprised on how delicious this was . A dozen differnt fish to choses from. We had there shrimp/crab dip for an appetizer( Wow ,you got to try it ). Also for those that can't get over the fish thing, they have a complete menu of Baja food on the back . Two things you need to know; Parking is tight and we were informed that Friday & Saturday night is packed out the door.Great deal , great food, you won't be disapointed....

• Visited November 2011