“Great soul food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mert's Heart & Soul

Mert's Heart & Soul
214 N College St, Charlotte, NC 28202 (First Ward)
(704) 342-4222
Neighborhood: First Ward
Erlanger, Kentucky
“Great soul food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I'm partial to side dishes, and this place was great. The very best macaroni and cheese I ever ate -- three kinds of cheeses and baked in the oven. The cornbread came out in large individual loaves for each guest and it was sweet as cake. My friend raved about the collard greens which contained bits of tomato. They also have an appetizer called Soul Rolls -- egg roll wrappers filled with seasoned rice, black-eyed peas and other veggies. Wonderful.

The atmosphere is fun, too

The only disappointment were the salmon cakes. There was nothing wrong with them, but the server had raved about them, and we didn't think they were worth raving about. But the restaurant is worth trying.

Nice prices, too.

Visited July 2014

Austin, Texas
“Down home cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

At at the downtown location. Food was great and very affordable. I had salmon cakes, okra, cabbage german chocolate cake and beer......all for less than $20

Food was great, staff very friendly. Busy place at dinner, so you will probably have to wait.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My friends & I visited here recently. We ordered the fried catfish, salmon cakes & fried whiting. They also served cornbread with the meals, probably the best I've ever had! The main dishes & sides were very good. Our complaint is with the waitress/service. When we arrived the restaurant was mostly full although not very busy. Our waitress was not friendly & slow to respond. We practically waited 30+mins to receive our check. Hope this is not the norm.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

At the recommendation of the hostess and Lamar, a Walgreens employee, I tried the sweet potato cake and it was delicious. I went back to the restaurant for additional meals and they were all excellent.

Visited July 2014
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This place has some of the best food around. The menu gives you plenty of options and the prices are reasonable. I enjoyed the salmon cake dinner. They were great with a spicy kick. The cornbread that comes with the meal was very good. I also enjoyed the coconut cake that was truly made from scratch with love :). This is a place worth trying if you are looking for a good home cooked soul food meal.

• Visited July 2014