“The Best Dim Sum south of NYC” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Dim Sum
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
New York City
“The Best Dim Sum south of NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Dim Sum Chinese Restaurant is a frequent dining place for my family and friends. It is the best dim sum experience I've had outside of NYC. The food is fresh, the wait staff is friendly and often greets us by name even in the midst of the very busy dim sum service time (weekends until 3 pm only). You can get dim sum items everyday, but to have the authentic dim sum experience where food is pushed around on carts for you to choose, you have to go on weekends. You must try the duck -- which is always fresh. They also have a regular Chinese food menu which offers delicious typical and creative meals. Always a nice, family oriented dining experience at a reasonable price.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
Greenville, South Carolina
“A Great Dim Sum Experience in the Carolinas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I took my wife and five kids to Dim Sum Chinese Restaurant in Charlotte for brunch on Sunday and had a wonderful time! Having lived in Los Angeles for many years, we had gotten used to the unique and fun experience of dim sum on the weekends. Then we moved back home to the Carolinas and thought we would have to give up this treat for good. It took me a few years to find it, but after asking around and doing some research, I found a couple of dim sum restaurants listed in Charlotte, which is about an hour and a half drive from our home. It was well worth the three hour round trip to once again have the delightful and delicious dim sum experience!

As with all the best, most authentic dim sum restaurants in L.A., the exterior of the restaurant is relatively simple and nondescript. Some Chinese writing on the building and a sign that advertised the name of the restaurant are about the only clues you get that the place isn't a laundromat. As I said, with my experience I knew that this was a good thing. We stepped into the building and saw a couple of tanks of fish and lobsters. Again, this is typical for the places I'd been to - so far, so good. Then lo and behold in front of me is a picture menu of some of the many dim sum items that are served... siu mei, bao, shrimp balls, sticky rice, turnip cakes, sesame balls, and so on. Yes! Legitimate dim sum is being served in Charlotte! A nice hostess took us to our table and we were on our way.

We opted to go to Dim Sum Chinese Restaurant on Sunday between 11 AM and 3 PM, which is when they use the steam carts. As far as I'm concerned, this is the real way to have dim sum and ordering off a menu would pale in comparison. The best and most authentic places in L.A. have tables that are set with plates, chopsticks, an order card, and a pot of hot tea. No forks in sight, you have to ask for them - and the absolute best places don't even have them to give you! Here in Charlotte, the tables were set with plates, chopsticks, and forks, which was fine and what I expected. One of the servers came over to take our drink order, and the first thing she said was hot tea, which I asked for. But they also had soft drinks and lemonade for my kids. Then the first of the carts came around.

A quick primer on having dim sum served from carts: You are seated at a table and on your table - among other things - is a card that has a grid on it broken up into 4 or 5 sections. As the carts come around, the servers will show you what they have and ask if you would like some. The items are typically served on a plate, or in a stackable container with holes in the bottom. (They stack a bunch of them in the steam cart with a lid on the top one. If you agree to an item, they will take off the lid, remove one container to give you, and put the lid on the next container down.) Don't be afraid to say no if you don't want an item, but don't be afraid to say yes and try something new! Each plate or container tends to have somewhere between 2 and 4 items on it. That allows several people at the table to try one. If you like it, they'll come around with more soon enough! Once you agree to an item, the cart server will pick up your card and either make a mark with a stamp in the section for that dish's price, or will use a pen to write the number of dishes you received from the cart. In that way, when you are finished with the meal the cashier will ring up your card according to how many marks you have in each price section. Typically, each dish averages $2 or $3, with a couple of things possibly going a dollar or two more.

So the carts came around very quickly at first, as the servers wanted to make sure you got something you wanted right away. I have to admit I was a little giddy and ordered a lot right off the bat. They had pork dumplings, shrimp dumplings in glutinous rice, fried shrimp balls, leek dumplings, pot stickers, Chinese broccoli, pork buns, sesame balls, turnip cakes, spare ribs, sticky rice, and an assortment of other items. I loved each and every bite. I have to admit that my young children were a little harder to please, but they at least each found something that they liked. The carts then slowed down a bit and just swung by every once in a while to make sure we didn't need something else. We did get additional plates of the most popular dishes with my kids. As for me - it was all bliss!

The atmosphere of the place was fairly simple, but with all the cart activity to watch it didn't matter. The majority of the clientele is Asian, and some of them seemed amused by my large Caucasian family having dim sum with them - but in a cute way. Except for the big cities in the U.S., I guess dim sum is still relatively unknown outside of the Asian community. The servers were very friendly and doted on my kids. They explained the items as best they could when we had questions.

The bill ended up being $62 including drinks and tax - outstanding for seven people enjoying such a unique dining experience. Since I was paying cash, I asked about the tip and they said to go ahead and leave it on the table since it would be split among all the servers. With that, we were on our way - after a visit to the fish and lobster tanks with the kids of course - completely full, happy, and with every intention of returning to Dim Sum Chinese Restaurant soon!

• Visited April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chapel Hill
“Solid Dim Sum, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I eat dim sum all over the country and honestly find this place as good or better than most of the places I have been to in Chinatowns of NYC, Philly.... Definitely much cleaner than you find in NYC (was just there for two bad dim sum meals).

I cant speak to the authenticity because I have never been to China, however the selection, consistentcy and quality of the ingredients here rival most of my better dim sum experiences. Great Har Dow (shrimp dumpling) and excellent/unique taro shrimp, good fried pork dumpling..... not a fan of their shu mai (sp?). Pork noodle crepe solid too.

crudville
“very good NON americanized chinese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

what took us so long to check this place out?Very good food....great menu choices and to those that are so inclined,,,beer,wine and mixed drinks
Not super cheap...but not pricey for what you get either
Service was above excellent
Loved it

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“1 of only 2 Dim Sum in Charlotte. This one takes the cake.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

1 of only 2 Dim Sum in Charlotte. This one takes the cake.