“Rude service - with NO compensation” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama Ricotta's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 1,976 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus #6 from uptown stops directly across the street from the restaurant.
Description: From the Wine Spectator Award to "Best Italian Restaurant" from Zagat, Mama Ricotta's Italian Restaurant brings to life the award-winning vision of owner Frank Scibelli. With a long, proud reputation built on authentic recipes, made from the freshest of ingredients and prepared by the finest culinary minds in the South, Mama Ricotta's restaurant is the premier Italian dining destination in Charlotte. "Upscale homestyle" is our style, and we love to bring it to you, again and again. Begin your adventure with a warm Goat Cheese and Mascarpone Dip served with grilled crostini, and then move into the warm freshness of our Penne Alla Vodka, tossed in a spicy cream tomato sauce. Or, let the subtle flavors of our Pollo Carciofi delight even your most discriminating of tastes. Our commitment to freshness is one of our most valued traditions - we even house-make our mozzarella! With nearly two decades of success, we've made it our goal to bring you only the best, with our best.
Charlotte, NC
“Rude service - with NO compensation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The only reason I gave it a 2 (and not a 1 or 0 star) was because the food was decent - the service, not so much. I went with a group (8 of us) for a colleague's birthday luncheon. We arrived prior to the "lunch rush" (around 11:30) and at first, the staff was attentive and we got our drinks right away. I ordered a salad with my entree, which came out with no problems and fairly quickly.

I cannot say as much for the rest of the meal.It was all downhill from there. We then proceeded to wait for almost 20 minutes for our food, which is no big deal if it is busy, but two things: 1) we arrived and placed our order BEFORE the actual rush started and, 2) we watched as 16 people at various tables around us, who arrived WELL after us, had their food come out and were almost finished eating - and we still hadn't had ours yet. When we inquired about the food - TWICE - the waitresses (there were two - one was clearly a trainee - who is NOT learning good food service techniques for this establishment) kept explaining that it was "really busy" and we were there during the "rush." Finally our food came out, but not before one of us went to speak to the manager. He was apologetic, but then as soon as our colleague walked away, I saw him talk to the two waitresses and all 3 looked at our table and laughed. REALLY?? Is that how you conduct yourself as a manager/owner?? RUDE!! I believe his name is Frank.

While he apologized, he never offered any kind of compensation, as I would expect when you make a huge mistake and treat your customers rudely - at the VERY least. Not even a, "I'm so sorry for your bad experience, we will take care of your _________." Now, I am not a restaurant manager or owner, but I AM a savvy diner and I do frequent several establishments owned by the same people. When I say frequent, I mean EVERY Friday. I am considering not going back to any restaurant owned by them (Bad Daddy's, Cantina 1511, Paco's Tacos...) because of how rudely we were treated and dismissed. Frank needs to go back to business management and learn how to treat his customers, especially if he would like them to return.

I will not be returning here, if I want mediocre Italian food, I'll go elsewhere. Like one reviewer below mentioned, this is just a step above Olive Garden. I have been to Italy and this food is nowhere near "authentic." If you want real Italian food, do yourself a favor and go to Dolce. You can actually hear them speaking Italian in the kitchen. And I have never had anything less than stellar service there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Really good food!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Try the appetizers. This place has excellent bread, the pastas are good and the salad fresh. The goat cheese appetizer is particularly good :)

Visited August 2012
Cornelius, North Carolina
“Best Lunch in Charoltte!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Nutella pie and Brucessta are to DIE FOR!!! It is a great family atmosphere when you'd like it to be, and a great night on the town too!

Visited March 2012
“everybody loves mama's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

yes the wait is 1.5 hours, standing shoulder to shoulder in a packed foyer dodging servers and elbowing for a drink at the bar. And it's worth every minute.
All food is good everytime. Drinks fast. Service is quick and courteous without the "hey I'm Justin, your bud for the night-highfive!" routine. Atmosphere is everyone loving the place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rumney, NH
“Suggested to us by a local.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Talk about good! The food was fantastic. We had a couple of Lasagnas and Veal dish. All of it was prefect cooked. The lasagna had 3 or 4 kinds of meat and while it didn't look like it was a very big portion it was. The homemade bread was great too. Desserts were huge if you get one plan to share.

• Visited November 2012