“Good food, Awesome service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cajun Queen

Cajun Queen
1800 E 7th St, Charlotte, NC 28204-2416 (Elizabeth)
704-377-9018
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cajun Queen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 1,966 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Elizabeth
Cross street: Lamar
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good food, Awesome service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

My wife and I ate at Cajun Queen for the first time after hearing people rave about this place. The food was very good. I had a cup of the gumbo and it was OK but I have had better gumbo; and I've only had it about 4 times...so I'm not an expert.

I had shrimp and grits they were good. I was surprised that the tail shells were left on the shrimp for this meal, is this typical? It was hard to pull off the shells without getting messy with the grits. My wife had Chicken Diane and I took a few bites, it was Awesome! I will order that next time but with chicken, shrimp, and crawfish.

Our waitress was great, her name is Hannah and she had good suggestions. Her service was Very good and personable. Thanks. Also at the time it seemed most tables had the Groupon to use, which we did also. I felt like we were treated no differently than someone without a deal/coupon; which is how it should be. By the way the patio was nice even in the heat today!

Melbourne, Florida
“Birthday Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Everyone in our party enjoyed their choices. Get there early for the beignets. We just missed them. The eggs benedict with crab cake was a hit. Service excellent pretty restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Mediocre cajun food that will punish your insides”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Don't get me wrong, the food tasted pretty good and came in relatively large portions, but when a restaurant has to use so many spices and butter to enhance the flavor of their dishes, it concerns me a bit. We started with the fried green tomatoes which were the WORST I have ever had. Seriously, the worst. They were coated in a dense cornmeal batter that overpowered any flavor of the tomato. Combine that with the fact that they were severely undercooked and you get an atrocious appetizer. On the bright side, the crawfish scampi was delicious and should be the starter of choice.

The New Orleans platter was OK, but again, the batter used to coat the seafood was terrible. The scallops were rubbery from being cooked for so long (it doesn't take much) and the coating simply overpowered the taste of the actual food. The catfish was OK, but nothing to write home about, and certainly not what I expected from a restaurant touting itself as a southern cuisine specialist. At least the bartender knew how to almost properly make an Old Fashioned (hint: there shouldn't be that much pulp in a drink...use a strainer).

As my title says, the lack of quality ingredients and overuse of butter and spices could make you regret spending $50-$100 on a subpar meal. I know I won't be going back.

Also, I know tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable, but I don't want to be served by waitresses covered in them who are not making even the slightest effort to conceal them. I know, I know, it's an expressive form of art, but that doesn't mean I care to see them. It wasn't like it was a little wrist tat or a heart on an ankle -- I'm talking half sleeves and even some hip tattoos that shouldn't be visible at a decent restaurant. The lack of attentiveness by the staff doesn't help my judgment either.

One more thing: having tables 1 foot away from each other and jammed into every nook and cranny in the place does not create a comfortable or welcoming atmosphere. The owner or manager clearly does not have a ton of restaurant experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great Sunday Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Went for Sunday Brunch with family. Great food and service. The Beignets are great and a must to start Brunch. The Bloody Mary was excellent per my wife. The Crawfish Creole was definitely a New Orleans dish. My wife thought the Shrimp and Grits may have been the best she has had. If you have not found this place, you need to. Remember that there is parking across the street as the parking situation around the restaurant is difficult at best.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Consistent and fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Cajun Queen is one of the best kept secrets on the Charlotte restaurant scene! Consistently great food, service, and fun. Four couples have had a holiday gathering here for twenty four years! My husband and I choose CQ as our first preference in entertaining clients, family, and friends. The food is always excellent. Wine, appetizers, entrees, and desserts...all good. No weak areas. Parking is difficult but valet service is free.

• Visited February 2014