“Wonderful Hotel in Uptown Charlotte” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #24 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Greensboro, NC USA
“Wonderful Hotel in Uptown Charlotte”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel is a little gem. The guest rooms are extremely clean and comfortable. The lobby and public areas are very welcoming and attractive. However, the staff is what really makes this hotel standout. Everyone was friendly, courteous and extremely good at going the extra mile to make you feel comfortable and welcome. They also offer free transportation to and from the Amtrak station.

The restaurant is also excellent. We ended up having an early dinner there the first night and our rate included breakfast the next morning. Both meals were outstanding.

We go to Charlotte several times a year for cultural events and the Dunhill Hotel will now be our preferred hotel for all of our trips!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We went to Charlotte to see the show Celtic Nights at Spirit Square. The show was at 8:00p.m. and we arrived at 11:00a.m., obviously too early to check in at the hotel. We were able to have the concierge store our bags and the valet parked our vehicle. All of this accomplished in about 3 minutes, by the friendliest and most pleasant staff as anyone could ask for.

My wife wanted us to go do some shopping and to have lunch at Ri-Ra's Irish pub, so off we went. We met our son at the Pub around 2:00pm, had a great lunch and visited for a while. Got back to the Dunhill around 5:00pm. We were handed our room key and when I asked for our bags, we were told that they were already in our room.

We went to our room and it was virtually perfect! Light, CLEAN with a great bathroom that was larger than our master bath at home. The beds and pillows were very comfortable, and even with the street noise, I was able to enjoy a nap before the show without any problems whatsoever.

I forgot to mention that this hotel is located directly between RiRa's and the theater and you can almost spit from the hotel and hit each. An absolutely perfect location!

After the show we enjoyed a couple of libations at the cozy, lobby bar where the drinks were excellent and the bartender (wish I could remember his name) was again - as professional and friendly as you could hope for.

The complimentary full American breakfast was served in the light, pleasant dining room by attentive, but not overbearing, servers and was delicious! Later in the day our son, daughter and son-in-law met us for brunch and they were just as impressed with the meals and the service as we were and this is saying something because they have "done their time" as servers and bartenders and manger in the Charlotte restaurant trade. It takes quite a bit to impress them. As an aside - the prices were so reasonable as to be almost ludicrous. (As was the room rate!)

All in all - if you are visiting Charlotte and want true value and service in an ideal location in the uptown, give the Dunhill as try. You'll be glad you did!

All in all,

Room Tip: If you want a room on the "street side", you'll be better off on a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Indian Trail, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed here on my first trip to Charlotte a few years back. I was in town for a interview. Stayed two nights. I enjoyed staying here. The price was reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. Plus, you get a bit more here. The hotel is historic and has lots of character. The service at the front desk was great. They were very helpful considering I had never been to Charlotte. The room itself was elegant and comfortable. It was clean. No issues to speak of. I now live in the Charlotte area and walk past this hotel everyday. I would stay here if I was visiting. It is right in the middle of Uptown Charlotte. Steps away from restaurants, museums, wine shops, etc. This is a great option if you are looking for something different than your run of the mill chain hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Southeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

First, this is an old hotel, totally renovated, nice and staff is great. It would have been better if I had not found a 3" cockroach in the bathroom. I thought he was going to beat me up, as he looked me straight in the eye, but I stomped and flushed him...I know this can be an issue in older locations, downtown locations, etc., and I saw not evidence of any of his "little friends" but it was disconcerting.

Our room was very small but nicely appointed. The price was high, with paid parking, all things considered.

Room Tip: The rooms across from the elevators are TINY. Ask to be moved.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Sag Harbor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

ended up in charlotte very last minute, found the dunhill thru trip advisor... great location..close to museums, galleries, great restaurants..didn't have a lot of time to fully explore area, but plenty nearby to keep busy.. while room was a bit small, the hotel was clean, quiet..service was excellent.. great breakfast included in price.. probably the best oatmeal ever!! good value...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Newburyport, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Although this was not my first choice (my usual hotel was booked), I was so pleased to have made the switch. The location is excellent in uptown Charlotte. Its close to great restaurants, coffee and other venues such as museums and theater. The rooms are small but well appointed. There is a mini fridge and some complementary sodas/water/and coffee maker. The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. Although I did not use it, there is also there is a hotel shuttle that will make local trips downtown. They honored my request for no feather bedding and no perfumed cleaning fluids. Probably the only "real" downside is the complementary soaps, which have a very unpleasant pine smell. I definitely plan on staying next time I'm in Charlotte!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Middletown, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed here for business. Very nice hotel, close to where I needed to be. The week I was there, they were renovating the kitchen and/or dining area, so service for breakfast was a little slow. Food was very good. Friendly bartenders.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Dunhill Hotel? Share your experiences!