“Classy hotel with character” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 N Tryon St, Charlotte, NC 28202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #22 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Classy hotel with character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I had to stay in downtown Charlotte for business and the Dunhill was reommended. The hotel is quaint with character but has all of the modern conveniences of a brand new hotel. I loved it and would definitely come back.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I booked a room at Dunhill three weeks in advance (prepaid through Hotels.com) for a colleague. When he showed up this morning, he was told the hotel was full and they had no record of the reservation. Since Charlotte was completely booked, he was out of luck. Hotels.com called the hotel and was told the hotel was overbooked, but agreed we had a reservation and they would refund. RIDICULOUS! Of course, if I don't show up, I am charged the room rate, but if the hotel cancels on me, there is no penalty for the hotel. This hotel is unworthy of four stars.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TheDunhillHotel, General Manager at Dunhill Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am extremely disappointed we did not have the opportunity to welcome your colleague. Upon further research with Hotels.com it was found that the reservation did not merge into our reservation system. We confirmed with them that there would be no charge from the Dunhill Hotel for this technical error. We sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your colleague another time.
Craig Spitzer
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was in Charlotte for a wedding, and spent one night at the Dunhill. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Charlotte. Easy to walk to many venues. They provide a free English style cab to shuttle you around. The room was on the small side, but very clean, with a very comfortable bed. The staff was pleasant. The resturant was more like a snack bar, but just fine for breakfast. Parking garage right behind the hotel - $12.00 for self parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Boone, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I always stay at the Dunhill for our Opera's. This last stay October 13, 2012 is our last.

In the past we have never experienced any problems with our room, except for the headboard broken upon arrival into our room. We thought the breakfast that is included in the price was nice since the following morning all we had to do was go downstairs rather than search for a restaurant. Each time we have eaten in the hotel restaurant it looked as though the staff was confused and had no idea what to do. I ordered my eggs over medium. Apparently the chef's definition of over medium is to put the egg on the fryer and put it on the plate. My eggs were barely cooked. They were so raw that I am certain it would not meet restaurant food safety standards. I sent them back only to have completely hard eggs that were rubber. Needless to say I didn't eat them since I don't care to eat rubber.

Another stay we had breakfast once again, giving the restaurant another chance. My order was completely wrong. Ordered French toast, got eggs and bacon! When the correct order finally came out there was a long hair in the food! Yet another meal that was not eaten but paid for.

Foolishly my husband and I continued to stay at the hotel because we liked the location in relation to the Blumenthal theatre and we found that hotel to be less noisy than others. We had just decided that we would not bother with the breakfast even though we pay for it in the price.

This past stay upon our arrival we were told the hotel was overbooked. We were given the option to move to another of their properties and would have a complimentary shuttle. My husband and I declined. Once we got to our room we realized the person who checked us in neglected to tell us the room is a downgrade from what we booked. However, we paid the price of the room we actually booked. The bathroom was extremely small, not like what we're used to when staying there.

We have been disappointed in the past with this hotel. Mainly the restaurant, but this last stay was the straw that broke the camels back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
summerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Dunhill for just one night - we just wanted to have a short trip out of town - and I am very thankful we decided to go with the Dunhill. It was clean, staff was friendly, bed was comfy, and it was a great quiet retreat away from busyness even though it was in a great location in downtown charlotte.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We traveled to Charlotte last weekend for wedding, and stayed at the charming Dunhill. Within walking distance of shopping, parks, music, museums, and nightlife, it is well- appointed and warm. The staff is courteous and efficient. The room itself was just the right size for both of us; a very comfortable bed and fluffy pillows, flat screen TV, writing desk, ample storage , modern bathroom, and lovely view of uptown Charlotte from our window. Soda and water in the room refrigerator are complementary. There is no ice machine, but ice is readily and quickly available upon request. I needed a scissors and had one in hand in under 5 minutes.
We stayed for $109/night, which was the group wedding rate, and would stay again if our travels bring us back to Charlotte!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Dunhill is one of our favorite hotels. My husband and I book it for every panthers game.
We love the people that work there, the rooms, the little lobby bar. The service is impeccable
and the staff really does make it feel like home. The cookies that are in the lobby are yummy and the restaurant is fresh and wonderful. We always look forward to staying at the Dunhill.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dunhill Hotel? Share your experiences!