“Great Location - Comfy Bed” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 N Tryon St, Charlotte, NC 28202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #18 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
North Carolina
“Great Location - Comfy Bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was in Charlotte for a wedding, and spent one night at the Dunhill. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Charlotte. Easy to walk to many venues. They provide a free English style cab to shuttle you around. The room was on the small side, but very clean, with a very comfortable bed. The staff was pleasant. The resturant was more like a snack bar, but just fine for breakfast. Parking garage right behind the hotel - $12.00 for self parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Boone, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I always stay at the Dunhill for our Opera's. This last stay October 13, 2012 is our last.

In the past we have never experienced any problems with our room, except for the headboard broken upon arrival into our room. We thought the breakfast that is included in the price was nice since the following morning all we had to do was go downstairs rather than search for a restaurant. Each time we have eaten in the hotel restaurant it looked as though the staff was confused and had no idea what to do. I ordered my eggs over medium. Apparently the chef's definition of over medium is to put the egg on the fryer and put it on the plate. My eggs were barely cooked. They were so raw that I am certain it would not meet restaurant food safety standards. I sent them back only to have completely hard eggs that were rubber. Needless to say I didn't eat them since I don't care to eat rubber.

Another stay we had breakfast once again, giving the restaurant another chance. My order was completely wrong. Ordered French toast, got eggs and bacon! When the correct order finally came out there was a long hair in the food! Yet another meal that was not eaten but paid for.

Foolishly my husband and I continued to stay at the hotel because we liked the location in relation to the Blumenthal theatre and we found that hotel to be less noisy than others. We had just decided that we would not bother with the breakfast even though we pay for it in the price.

This past stay upon our arrival we were told the hotel was overbooked. We were given the option to move to another of their properties and would have a complimentary shuttle. My husband and I declined. Once we got to our room we realized the person who checked us in neglected to tell us the room is a downgrade from what we booked. However, we paid the price of the room we actually booked. The bathroom was extremely small, not like what we're used to when staying there.

We have been disappointed in the past with this hotel. Mainly the restaurant, but this last stay was the straw that broke the camels back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
summerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Dunhill for just one night - we just wanted to have a short trip out of town - and I am very thankful we decided to go with the Dunhill. It was clean, staff was friendly, bed was comfy, and it was a great quiet retreat away from busyness even though it was in a great location in downtown charlotte.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We traveled to Charlotte last weekend for wedding, and stayed at the charming Dunhill. Within walking distance of shopping, parks, music, museums, and nightlife, it is well- appointed and warm. The staff is courteous and efficient. The room itself was just the right size for both of us; a very comfortable bed and fluffy pillows, flat screen TV, writing desk, ample storage , modern bathroom, and lovely view of uptown Charlotte from our window. Soda and water in the room refrigerator are complementary. There is no ice machine, but ice is readily and quickly available upon request. I needed a scissors and had one in hand in under 5 minutes.
We stayed for $109/night, which was the group wedding rate, and would stay again if our travels bring us back to Charlotte!

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Dunhill is one of our favorite hotels. My husband and I book it for every panthers game.
We love the people that work there, the rooms, the little lobby bar. The service is impeccable
and the staff really does make it feel like home. The cookies that are in the lobby are yummy and the restaurant is fresh and wonderful. We always look forward to staying at the Dunhill.

Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed in a Premiere Queen room. A hallway end room with view of Tryon from two sides. Fantastic room! It is a 10 story hotel (historic) with all the charm of the history and date, but with many modern conveniences and services. I enjoyed both the dining in their restaurant (breakfast complimentary), and the bar for cocktails. The bartender, Pete, deserves every bit of praise and generosity sent his way. That guy is on point and knows what customer service is all about!!! He is a crowd pleaser for sure.
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages are provided in the room refrigerator. The bathroom is updated and modern feel, and shower only. The bed was comfortable. Plenty of space-not crampy at all.
I walked to the Panthers game - but they would have provided me a complimentary ride in a "London style" taxi to it - (but not from). The taxi may seat 4-5 is what I understand. I felt safe walking alone to and from. Stay here, understand the history of the place, and enjoy the modern conveniences as well. The staff do try very hard to anticipate all your needs and work to make you feel at home!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Mentor, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at the Dunhill and would go back in a heartbeat. It's not the least expensive place in Charlotte, but their prices are in line with our experiences in similar hotels elsewhere.

Only quibble: no ice machines. But our bellman voluntarily brought some after delivering our bags.

Valet parking and bellman service were prompt, and the front desk staff were always available and helpful. We enjoyed our complimentary (and delicious) full breakfasts in the independently owned farm-to-table Harvest Moon Grille. The housekeeping staff were attentive and thorough — the housekeeper even brought extra soft drinks for the in-room refrigerator (in which I also refroze the gelpacks from our road-food cooler). Service throughout our stay unfailingly made us feel welcome and appreciated.

Although navigating to the garage through Uptown's one-way streets was a challenge (especially at 4 p.m. on Friday), the location was ideal for this urban walker's Saturday-morning stroll. If we'd had more time (we were in town for a wedding and our stay was brief), I'd have explored the nearby main library, and we'd have taken much advantage of their Uptown shuttle service and what looks like a great public transit system.

One wonderful feature: this historic hotel has the sturdy construction that keeps room noises in the rooms and most of the other sounds out. Great sleeping!

Our original plans called for a stay at another hotel, one of a large chain that we've always been happy with, but my poor planning left us without that option. When local residents attending the wedding heard where we were staying, they confirmed that we'd made a much better choice, that we'd enjoy our experience at the Dunhill — as we definitely did!

Room Tip: Our corner suite was quiet, even though we were one room away from the elevator.