“Nice Hotel...Just Don't Try To Send A FedEx Package!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #59 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
New Jersey, USA
“Nice Hotel...Just Don't Try To Send A FedEx Package!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

Well, I was waiting to write this review before I even got back home!

I stayed at the Westin for 4 nights as part of a big convention at the Charlotte Convention Center. The hotel's location couldn't be any more convenient - it's right across the street.

Location-wise for restaurants is just OK - there's nothing really that close other than a pizza joint and some other non-interesting type places.

The room I had was fine -- internet was $9.95/day and since i was there on business and got back to my room late most nights, it was room service for me. Ching ching - a basic ceasar salad or burger and a bowl of soup came to $35 for dinner!! No joke. So much for Charlotte being an inexpensive city.

Well, things were going OK - - until my last night when i was getting things ready to check out. I had to ship out a FedEx package and the lovely hotel desk clerk was of NO help to me and said that I couldn't ship out my package. Great business services. The Westin gets a F for that and I had a little talk with the hotel manager.

All in all, if you want a great location to the Convention Center, you can't beat it....unless maybe the Hilton down the street can actually send your FedEx package for you !

• Liked — Location to convention center and car service always available.
  • Disliked — Horrible business services and front desk help.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2007

This is a very modern and comfortable hotel and if you are just traveling to Charlotte is probably the nicest place you can stay until they build a Four Seasons (we were told it is under construction). However if you need any sort of business services this hotel is not equipped for business travelers.

I stayed at the Westin for 3 nights and the desk staff was generally clueless. The business center computers broke, the copier in the business center broke and even when I asked the front desk to make copies they were not able to make 2 copies without accidently shrinking the document, mixing up the pages and generally making a mess of things. They did not respond to the problems with the business center promptly and in fact I was forwarded by the hotel staff to the outside computer tech support group to find out what was wrong. When I informed the staff about the quick fix tech support gave me, they told me it could not be done but made no effort to try.

They also delivered a fax to me in my room and included in it a highly confidential document FROM ANOTHER GUEST.

The staff was always pleasant but really not very responsive.

The room itself was large and comfortable with a view of the highway. The bedding was "heavenly" as promised.

The hotel bar offers some fun cocktails and was hopping. The hotel restaurant was actually very good and not busy at all.

Stayed February 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

What a wonderful weekend I spent at the Westin in Charlotte! The valet was helpful and polite, he even offered to give us information about local eateries which I took him up on the next day. Check in was immediate even though the hotel was very crowded on that weekend. My room was very clean, the beds are 'heavenly'! I even had a great view.
My favorite part was the bar and lounge area. After spending the day at the convention center (right next door), it was a great spot to unwind. There were a couple of large plasma tvs to watch the games on and nice comfortable couches as well as tables and chairs. Our waitress, Ruby, was attentive, friendly and prompt, even though she had a big group of us to attend to.
I would love to have this exact hotel in every city I travel to!

• Liked — Lounge
  • Disliked — Restaurant
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbia SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

One of the things I like best about this hotel is walking into the lobby during check-in -- it just feels like the way an upscale, big city hotel should. It's usually abuzz with activity, and there is a mix of well-dressed business and leisure travelers there. Each time I've been in the cocktail lounge, there have been folks in formal dress, relaxing and having fun, mixed in with people in blue jeans and business dress. The area is just alive with activity.

We booked a corner superior room, which is considered an upgrade over the usual room. We had gorgeous views of uptown, even though we were only on the 7th floor. The room was spacious and well decorated.
The only negative about the room was a huge spot on the carpet that appeared to be the remnants of spilled coffee (that has not been successfuly removed from the carpet). I loved the Heavenly shower -- which features two shower heads -- and I enjoyed wearing the hotel robe around in my room. The luxurious bed and linens are a nice treat.

We ate the Sunday breakbast buffet at the hotel restaurant, Embers. Service was attentive, and the food was very good -- better than the average hotel restaurant. Around 11 a.m. the food fare turns from all-breakfast to more of a brunch setting, and on this day it included generous portions of tuna steak with wasabi ginger aioli (which was delcious).

We just stayed there one night this time, but I wished we could have stayed there longer.

• Liked — The hotel's overall vibe, the hotel decor, hotel location, Heavenly shower, Heavenly bed, hotel restaurant breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — The seating area immediately at the hotel bar is very small for the size of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

New construction, right across the street from the convention center. Sleek, cool design and very nice rooms and common areas. Great beds. Excellent fitness facility. The Omni and Marriott are a bit closer to the center of downtown, but the Westin is still within walking distance.

• Liked — Fitness facility
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

I stayed at the Westin for work for 2 nights and thought it was okay.

We were greeted quickly as we exited our taxi and check in was a breeze. My room was nice and clean. As other posters have said, the bathroom is small and the number of TV channels is not great. The internet, which does cost money, works quite well. I also enjoyed the hotel gym. As an avid runner, I was happy to find a number of treadmills with TV screens and an early opening time of 5AM- there was plenty of room for stretching, etc as well.

We had dinner out of the hotel- once at MImosa Grill which was just OK, once at Zink (a few blocks walk) which was really good! My entire group enjoyed it. We did try out the hotel bar one evening and the service was mediocre at best- our waitress took a long time and was certainly not the most pleasant person I met.

As for the meeting rooms and their services, it was just okay. We ordered breakfast for the right amount of people but both mornings it was just barely enough. The lunches were much better as were the snacks. We had trouble getting other materials that we needed (such as extra flip charts, garbage removed, etc) in a timely manner.

All in all, I would stay at the Westin again but would not hold my meetings there.

• Liked — very clean rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

While the rooms were clean, fresh-smelling, featured Starbuck's Coffee, and the beds were just as heavenly as advertised, I would not stay at this hotel again.

Even with the lower corporate rate, the numerous small fees can quickly eliminate the savings. Internet fees, parking, per use gym and pool fees can quickly add up. A local call will cost you $1.50 per call and there is a time limit before an even higher per-minute rate kicks in.

The Westin lobby features a clumsy collection of furniture and an annoying lack of signage. Staff availability was spotty at best. Sometimes there was a doorman, sometimes several, sometimes none. The same went for front desk/concierge service. Skip the hotel restaurant. Service is slow, the food is forgettable, and the prices are high.

We stayed on the fifth floor where we could hear the building’s service motors drone endlessly. Our room was small and the bathroom had no fan. Even though our room was obviously meant for two guests, there was only one robe and one set of toiletries that was not always replaced daily. The bathroom tissue was allowed to become dangerously low before it was replaced. The hotel television featured a disappointingly slim selection of channels.

Competitors within walking distance of the Convention Center offer free wireless internet, fuller cable TV selections, free airport shuttles, no-charge amenities, better service, and better rates. I'd suggest you spend your money with them.

• Liked — "Heavenly" Beds (TM) were indeed heavenly!
  • Disliked — No fan in bathroom
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Westin Charlotte? Share your experiences!