“Great stay for a few nights” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #59 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
“Great stay for a few nights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed here for 3 days for the SDITE annual meeting. The Westin provided great rooms for a 3 night stay. The hotel is located at a light rail station if you need to travel sround the area. In our room, we could see uptown Charlotte. The service is okay: We asked for a luggage cart and it took nearly 30 minutes for it to arrive. The hotel staff was very friendly and kind. There is a small gift shop in the lobby as well as a Starbucks. The parking is considerably expensive, but it is the Westin. I would recommend the hotel for travelers staying a few nights, not necessarily for travelers.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Mansfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had just stayed in the Westin in Boston and compared to that experience, this Westin was not up to that level. The room and bed was fine but the service was lacking. The first two nights at the hotel we were only given one wash cloth for the two of us. At first I thought it was overlooked. When it happened the second time I called to get more. I was told they were short on supplies. It made no sense to me as you know how many rooms you have and what you need. They did bring more up immediately. We were at a convention and the Westin is right beside the the Convention Center. We stayed here because it was the headquarter hotel. We found out most of the restaurants and night life are on the other side of the convention center and most of the other hotels available to us as well. My son stayed in that area and it was more convenient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a conference across the street at the convention center. Took over an hour in line to get checked in. Lots of people were still waiting hours for their room. The rooms are nice, though some of the lamps were unplugged and the extension cords were making me nervous. Somehow my room go skipped for getting tidied up during the day, the full smelly trash didn't add the the ambiance. The layout is a bit odd, lots of congestion around the elevators and getting to and from the parking deck is strange as well. Not sure if I'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
WestinCharlotte, General Manager at Westin Charlotte, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thanks for your review! We’re glad you enjoyed your room and location! We apologize for the lengthy check-in and do hope you will stay with us again in the future. Whether for business or pleasure, we’d love the opportunity to show you a true Westin experience!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I often stay at the Westin Charlotte when in town and by far this is the best hotel uptown....everyone goes out of their way to say hello and it appears they all know my name....additionally when possible, they tend to upgrade me into a suite when asked,( likely because of the Starwood Platinum status)...

Lastly if you want extraordinary service ask for Sheena at the front desk...whenever I need something extra or special, she goes out of her way to try to accomadate.

-AD

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Miami Shores, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is geared to business travelers and offers excellent customer service. There is a FedEx office in the hotel, which is extremely convenient and they offer $5 rental of workout gear for anyone who "packed light" and left out their tennies.

I mailed 5 boxes to the hotel in advance of a convention recruitment event -- all arrived and were stored for me and then were delivered directly to my room on my arrival. Great job by the staff!!

Watch out for high prices on the breakfast buffet ($19.99) and expensive in room movies ($17.99 each). Otherwise the accommodations were well worth the price.

Convention Center is right across the street and many fine restaurants are a few blocks away. NASCAR Hall of Fame is also one block from the hotel. Convenient location, excellent staff, and luxurious hotel accommodations.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed at the Westin Charlotte for one week in April. The service was excellent from the moment we checked in. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and comfortsble with a large desk I could work at. Loved the shower head! It actually had enough pressure to rinse the shampoo out of my hair! Restaurant was pricey . . . . $4 for hot tea :(, but that's the only negative I can think of!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This review will not come as a surprise to anyone there. I stayed at the hotel from Arpil 3-6, 2013 to attend a convention where I was an exhibitor. I arrived on Wednesday, April 3, 2013. Check-in is usually at 3:00PM. I arrived at 11:00AM and truly appreciated the very early check-in. My satisfaction, however, would soon be dashed. The room was attractive but cold. I attempted, unsuccessfully, to adjust the thermostat turning the dial to 90 degrees without any effect. I called the front desk who apologized and stated they would send maintenance to check shortly. An hour later I called again. Again an apology but was told there was only one maintenance person on duty so it might be a while, to be patient. One maintenance person on duty for a full hotel with over twenty five floors and at least 20 rooms on each floor? OK. So I waited. Maintenance came approximately twenty minutes later and fixed the problem. Prominently placed on the bed was a notice titled Make A Green Choice that said,
"Enjoy a $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 SPG Starpoints awarded at checkout for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure). To participate, you must hang this card on your door before 2:00 AM. If you choose not to take part and would like clean linens, please place this card on your bed. Kindly leave towels to be laundered on the floor. Thank you.
I didn't have a need to have the room serviced on Thursday, April 4, 2013, so I placed the card on the door before 2:00 AM. I received, as promised, a $5 voucher under my door the morning of Thursday, April 4, 2013. Thurday was an uneventful day. I did not hang the card on the door Thursday night so I did not expect to receive the $5 voucher under my door Friday morning and, indeed, I did not. Friday morning I arrived at the hotel restaurant for breakfast at 9:45AM. The exhibit hall opened at 11:00AM. I encountered a line of patrons waiting to be seated. I was fourth in line. In clear view were 8 empty tables. After waiting for 15 minutes, I asked the manager, who I noted in the area, how much longer it would be before we would be seated. The manager replied that it had not been busy all morning and all of a sudden everyone came at the same time. I replied, but you know your hotel is full. I then asked why the 8 empty tables were not being utilized.He responded that he did not want to seat people at the tables only to have them wait to be served. I responded, I take it you don't have enough staff to which there was no response. I was seated a few minutes later and, indeed, I waited and waited for my server after being seated. I exhibited at the conference on Friday, April 5, 2013. I returned to my room at 4:30PM, exhausted, expecting to rest only to encounter a room that had not been serviced. I immediately called the front desk and explained what had happened. The associate apologized but explained that by choosing Green Choice this would apply for the entire hotel stay. Aghast, I explained the information on the card did not state this choice would apply for the entire stay and I would not have chosen it had I known and understood. I was told this was irrevocable. After verbalizing how upset I was the associate asked if there was anything that she could do to improve my stay. I responded I wanted to have the bathtub serviced and clean towels. The associate responded someone would come up shortly. I asked in approx how long would it take as I had dinner reservations to which the associate responded approx 15 minutes. I called back after an hour had elapsed and informed the same associate with whom I had spoken earlier that no one had arrived to service the room. At this point I requested to speak with the manager. I explained everything that had transpired. The manager responded that there was only one person on duty and assured me someone would be up shortly. At this point I stated to the manager that this was the second event where I had been told there was only one person on duty to cover a particular area. I stated the Westin is in the hospitality area and that the comfort of their guests shold be their primary concern. I continued that it appeared the Westin, in an attempt to cut costs, did not have the right employee mix to guarantee that the guests concerns could be responed to in a timely manner. When no one had arrived in twenty minutes, I went to the front desk only to encounter a colleague who had just complained about Green Choice. Although we had not spoken about Green Choice, she had made the exact same choice as I with the same results. With both of us at the front desk, yet another administrative person, gave us both a $25.00 voucher toward food and beverages. We left for dinner at 6:00PM with yet more assurances that the rooms would be serviced prior to our return. We returned at 8:30 PM and, to no surprise, both rooms had not been serviced. Just as I opened the door to go to the front desk housekeeping arrived. Housekeeping arrived at my colleagues room at 9:30 PM. She was in bed. Upon checking out on Saturday I stated ato the front desk associate that, as a Starwood Preferred Guest, I preferred to have the points rather than the $5 voucher. The associate asked for the two vouchers. I submitted the one I had received the first day. When he asked for the other one I had to explain that I did not receive a second voucher and neither was my room cleaned. He, quite begrudginly, stated he would apply points for the second night. This was a most unpleasant stay. I usually stay at The Marriott, which I absolutely love, for travel but the Westin Charlotte is directly across from the Charlotte Convention Center so the location was excellent. The only analogy I can make to illustrate what I suspect the Westin in engaging in is the difficulty Walmart is currently having. To maximize their profits they have either laid off or not hired enough employees so their shelves are bare because there is not enough staff to do inventory and restock shelves. Customers, finding the shelves bare, leave and shop elsewhere. Well, I will not repeat this mistake. Additionally, unless you want to make up your bed and service your room during your entire stay DO NOT CHOOSE GREEN CHOICE. This is nothing more than a strategy to not hire staff with the result that guests have no guarantee their needs can be met in a timely fashion, the result being your discomfort. This was a recurring theme during my entire stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Westin Charlotte? Share your experiences!