“average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
San Antonio, Texas
“average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Convenient location to freeway and access to downtown. "Deluxe" breakfast was not- standard fare with waffles, cereals, breads, yogurt, coffee (bad), juices, and apples. Rooms were clean with kitchenette providing utensils, microwave, dishwasher, frig, cook top, coffee maker, etc. We weren't able to use the pool as it was raining most days of the stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I would like to Thank You for taking your time to comment on your stay. We consider our Hotel to be a friendly, hospitable home away from home. Our rooms are very spacious and we offer a great value. Since you did not get to use the pool, please come back on your next visit to Charlotte. We are excited about renovations that we are getting completed by March 1st, 2014. Not only will we have spacious rooms but also relaxing with a new look. Come back and see us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tabor City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We almost didn't stay here, because of a horrid experience with another hotel in this chain. This hotel restored our faith in the chain. The staff bend over backwards to be sure you have a great stay, and the hotel is very clean. The room we stayed in wasn't new, but it was throughly cleaned and very spacious. In addition, it is close enough to Carowinds to see the fireworks show. If we return to Charlotte, we will certainly stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely comments on your stay back in June. We so appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We try to make our guest feel like they are at home while staying at our property. We hope that you will come back and stay with us when you are traveling back through Charlotte. We are starting renovations with a newer, fresher look and hope to see you again soon. Thank you again.
Eden, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my first time ever staying at a Mainstay Suite. I was only there one night but I would definitely stay again. It was nice and spacious. I was impressed. The size of the kitchenette was really nice. Dishwasher, full size fridge, etc. A very nice place to relax.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I would like to Thank you for your comments about our hotel- we like to hear that people enjoy what we have to offer. A nice,clean and spacious room at a good value. We look forward to seeing you in your future visits to Charlotte.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We really had a nice time! Our kids enjoyed it. It was clean and everyone was so nice to us. Very happy with our experience. Our kitten was very pleased as well. The breakfast was yummy and our space was perfect. The kids enjoyed tv time and relaxing.

• Stayed December 2012
MainStayCLT, General Manager at MainStay Suites Charlotte, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent compliments about your stay at Mainstay Suites. We appreciate you taking your time to give us your feedback. Our goal is to make our guest feel the comfort of home and to give you a good experience. We hope that in the future trips to Charlotte, you will make a return visit to our hotel.
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I didn't want to drive back to Greensboro late after a work shop...knowing I would have to turn around and drive back for the next two days....It was late and very dark in a place I had never been before...I found my way to the exit and stopped at several popular hotels only to find the rates were too high for my budget. I pulled in to Main Stay looking for another hotel that I had just passed one street down....I decided to inquire since I was already in the parking lot to turn around to go back to the hotel I had just passed...The young man at the desk was very pleasant as he asked me if I understood that these were suites with cooking and larger rooms. I replied "yes", but was just asking "how much"....Thinking it would be much higher than the other places, I was losing hope of finding a place I felt safe in and could afford....the price he gave me...beat the others on the same street and only blocks apart by 30.00 to 70.00 for a single person, no-smoking suite.....I enjoyed the room and the bar at the kitchen was great for additional work, the room was clean and I was grateful to find the suite for less than a room price....would stay again....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
We are so glad that we were able to accommodate you while you were traveling through Charlotte. We are so happy that you felt safe and that we could help you with your budget .We look forward to your next visit to Charlotte and the MainStay Suites. Thank you for your feed back, it is most helpful.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This property is for the budget conscious, not the business commuter.

I was working in Ballantyne at late notice and all of the area hotels were fully booked.
Based on reviews here, this was the closest and highest rated.
I booked a room labelled "newer", but walking through the corridor in the morning, where housekeeping had other doors propped open, I couldn't see that there was any difference and suspect my room wasn't newer at all.

I specifically asked at check-in if there were any rooms that dogs were not permitted (as my last experience in Charlotte involved urine stains and barking at the homewood suites), well, I had dogs on either side of me and my room didn't smell fresh at all, so I suspect it was just a generic room and that I'd paid a little more for nothing.

The room smelled musty and kinda sweaty, like the carpet was past due changing. Basically, it smelled like a poor person's house.
It took two days before hotels in Ballantyne became available and I checked out as soon as I could after two nights.

In addition to the "l'eau de plebian" smell, noise was also a big issue, the building is cheaply constructed with wooden floors and the person in the room above me seemed to be pacing up and down walking on the ball of their feet and throwing things around until around midnight, then back up at 6am.

On a positive note, the staff were great, friendly and helpful and if I were more concerned with the bottom line, as many are, then this would have been a good deal, with its spacious feel and kitchenette, but as has been stated by others, this is not really for the business traveler and this may have been my mistake (in not simply commuting further).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am so glad that you were able to find availability at our hotel during a busy time in Charlotte. I do so apologize that your stay was not what you had hoped for. We do strive to give excellent service and provide a clean and fresh hotel at a good value. We do have nicely upgraded rooms and would like very much for you to give us another try. You can call me personally to discuss your stay, so that I can reseach it further. Thank you for your comments.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

October 2012
This hotel had the best reviews. It seems primarily geared toward families with kids though. At least this appeared to be the the demographic when I stayed there. In other words I'm saying it was kind of noisy. Other than that the room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Breakfast, not so hot. Wi-fi signal spotty and weak. All in all though this is a great value if you are in the area for a while and want a cheap, decent place to cook your own food and set up camp. That is if you don't mind little kids being little kids next door. If you're a business traveler, like me, maybe it's not the best choice. I'm going to keep looking for the "perfect" Choice Hotel in this area.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments about your stay, we do have a lot of business travelers that stay with us and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to serve you. At the time of your stay we were having some issues with our internet service, due to the feedback from our guest we were able to remedy the problem. We would appreciate you giving us another try, we feel that we are the right Choice.

Been to MainStay Suites Charlotte? Share your experiences!