“Upscale perfect without busting your budget” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Charlotte Hotel

Save Saved
You added Omni Charlotte Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Charlotte Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 East Trade Street, Charlotte, NC 28280 (First Ward)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking!
Ranked #31 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
Vienna, VA
“Upscale perfect without busting your budget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I spent a week at Omni Charlotte for a conference I helped organize. Uptown Charlotte though somewhat small was impressive and modern offering a multitude of dining options within a few blocks and was safe. The elevated, covered walkways between buildings were great when too hot or during a thunderstorm.

All staff encountered from valet parking to registration to housekeeping were all helpful and friendly. Room was the typical, approximately 300 square foot space set up for a business traveler with desk, desk chair, laptop-sized safe, refrigerator, flat-panel TV, and easy chair in addition to the king bed. Bathroom was a bit on the small size (but typical for most downtown 4 star hotels) with upscale toiletries. Robe was provided in the closet. The only aspect that dated the room was the lack of electrical outlets at the desk which was supplemented with a six-outlet extender on a nearby wall receptacle. Bed was great resulting in a good night's sleep each morning. Wifi was fast enough which is good. Some hotels' wifi slow noticeably in the evening when many guests are too much for the available bandwidth.

The way to go with Omni is join their loyalty club for the freebies you get at the base level (bottled water, evening turndown, pressing, shoe shine). The insider tip is to correspond with the Omni Loyalty Ambassador after you reserve to be sure you are set up the way you want when you arrive. You can do this after you arrive, but I like to think ahead and avoid potential issues.

We had one problem when we arrived. The sink stopper would not stop. A phone call to the front desk resulted in a hotel engineer fixing it within 20 minutes. No other problems were encountered.

The conference support before and during the event was timely, friendly, and efficient. Adjustments always occur during a conference. The tech guys were great and there when we needed them, even with two other ongoing events at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for choosing to host your event at The Omni Charlotte. We were thrilled to read how well your stay went and are grateful for all of your kind words. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you and your organization back again soon.

766 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

This hotel is walking distance to everything downtown. The entire staff was very friendly and attentive. Room was very clean, beds were comfortable. Only drawback is that the bathrooms are a bit small. Would definitely stay here again. Parking is $15 / day.

Room Tip: The rooms in the corners are the biggest.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Omni Charlotte on TripAdvisor. We are glad you enjoyed you time with us and we hope you will return soon.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

In booking with the Omni, I thought I was going to be spending the weekend in a luxury hotel full with trappings and amenities lesser star hotels do not offer. I was, unforuntately, proved wrong.

Pros:
-large room
-comfortable bed
-nice view
-friendly staff
-great location

Cons:
-pricey for the value
-tiny bathroom
-unmentioned fees

I checked in and was informed an extra $100 hold would be placed on my checking account for a deposit. Any unused portion would be refunded to be upon checkout. The used portion would be the cost to park and of course, any incidentals. It was $20 to park for the two nights I was there. I wish this fee was mentioned on their website. It would have been nice to know I needed another $100 handy when I checked in.

The room was expansive and far more than necessary. The view and separate sitting room were a nice addition, even though I didn't use it the whole trip. The bed and linens were insanely comfortable. However, the bathroom was ridiculously small, something I did not expect from a luxury hotel. Also, our room was next to the elevator which proved to be noisy when trying to sleep.

The staff was great and available to help should we have any questions. Our room key actually did not work the first time and the front desk attendant came back up with us the second time to make sure it worked.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay, but I will not be staying with the Omni again in the future. I did not feel I received the value I expected for the money and instead will be staying at non-luxury hotels where I know what I'm getting and the room won't empty my checking account.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for all of your feedback both positive and constructive from your recent stay at The Omni Charlotte Hotel. We try to communicate our parking fees and debit card procedures both online and in the reservation process and will review the process to make sure everything is in place. We do apologize if you were caught off guard by these policies and hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011 via mobile

We mixed business and family into a fun week in Charlotte. Our stay at the Omni was great! Everyone was very nice and helpful. All of our needs were met there and we will be back!

• Stayed June 2011
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and we will look forward to your return!
bethel park pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Only stayed one night and if ever in the area again would choose the OMNI again. The room and bathroom were spotless. The bed was very comfortable especially with 5 pillows. We received coffee and juice waiting at our door in the morning. Grandkids enjoyed the pool in the evening but the BAR was not open. Later we went to the LOUNGE which was a little tight but had a good time 'PEOPLE WATCHING' as there were two weddings going on. The 'long island ice tea' was the BEST. The OMNI is in town, which is very enjoyable to walk around the city. There was a 'bike race' going while we were there which turned out to be pretty exciting.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Omni Charlotte is an immaculate luxury hotel that totally provides the Omni standard of service. I have stayed at this hotel on three separate occasions now, and each time I have been impressed. On my most recent stay, I arrived in Charlotte much earlier than expected; the wonderful front desk agent checked me into my room at 7:00 a.m.!

The rooms are somewhat dated but still nicely appointed. As a Select Guest member, my Wifi internet connection was free (the hotel otherwise charges $9.95) and the connection was decent. I ordered room service - it arrived promptly and the food was great.

Working out/hitting the gym while I travel is very important to me. At this hotel, you have two options: you can use the hotel's gym at no charge or you can go to the Charlotte Athletic Club, located in the same building, via a guest pass issued by the front desk. The pass costs $15. The hotel's gym is not what I have been accustomed to in four and five star hotels. It has a couple cardio machines and some free weights - if you want a full workout, you won't get it there. The Charlotte Athletic Club is a wonderful gym and is just as easily accessed as the hotel's own. It bothered me that I had to pay $15, however, to use the gym. The hotel should either provide its guests with a gym comparable to other hotels of its class OR using the Charlotte Athletic Club should be complimentary.

Other than my frustration with the fitness aspect, the hotel is great, the staff are helpful and polite, and the location is superb.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
We appreciate all of your comments regarding your stays at The Omni Charlotte Hotel but apologize that you were disappointed with the fitness options available at the hotel. In spite of our close proximity to Charlotte Athletic Club it is a separately owned and managed business which is why we are unable to provide complimentary access to our guests. We do hope this won't prevent you from choosing our hotel in the future and thank you again for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I've stayed here twice, the first time wasn't long enough to write a review, but this past stay gave me plenty. The best way I can describe this place is like an older woman, who is wearing a ton of make-up, and a short dress aka trying to be younger than she really is, just like this hotel. This hotel is old, and by the pictures you see, it's better looking than it is. The furniture looks like my grandmother's. Besides the fact that it is old, let me bullet the other problems:
1) you can not use a cart unless you allow a bell-boy to take your stuff. I had a child in a stroller, bags everywhere, and no cash to tip, and I explained that to them, and the response was oh well, you can't use a cart unless we take it, then they proceeded to all disappear beecause I didn't have any cash.
2) Hotel is LOUD LOUD LOUD. There were drunks EVERYWHERE. Yes the hotel is located down stairs, but if you are a "four star" then there is a better hold on the noise level. I finally called at 2:30, which I was responded quickly, and rudely with a "security is already there." So if that was the case, then why did it proceed to carry on?
3) Valet takes FOREVER, we called about 10 mins before we went down, and then we had to wait and wait and wait once we got there.
4) Beds are terrible, hard, and they give you a NASTY down comforter that has dirt all over it to cover up with. Needless to say, we just stayed cold.

Overall, I won't return. I wasn't impressed, and I can't believe an Omni hotel would look this way and be ran this way. If you are looking for 3 star, then you won't be disappointed, but 4 star is too far of a stretch.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We were disappointed to read about your experience at The Omni Charlotte Hotel. Although we regret that we missed the mark in several areas we appreciate the opportunity to understand our opportunities for improvement. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the various departments mentioned in your review. We truly hope that you will reconsider staying with us in the future so we may provide you with a stay that meets your expectations and our own.

Been to Omni Charlotte Hotel? Share your experiences!