“absolutely AMAZING!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge

You added The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge to your Saves list
The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10000 Ballantyne Commons Parkway, Charlotte, NC 28277 (Ballantyne East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami Beach, FL
“absolutely AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

I just stayed at Ballantyne for a week and have only glowing praise for the property. I would describe Ballantyne at 5-star service in a 4-star property. From the warm greeting with cool towels to the impeccibly friendly staff resort over, the Ballantyne has the best service of any property I've stayed this year -- from Buenos Aires to Mexico City and NYC to Chicago.

Every person who works at Ballantyne is smiling and more than willing to help. The service rivals the best in NYC. My room was beautiful, in perfect condition, overlooking its green, manicured golf course.

I would/will recommend Ballantyne to everyone visitng Charlotte.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I always stay at four star resorts and was extremely unhappy with Ballantyne's "4 Star Service" - basically it was 2 and a half stars. In our hotel room there was a panel off the side of the bathroom tub, exposing the plumbing and when I opened a drawer the knob fell off in my hand! Went I went outside on the patio that overlooks the golf course I was horrified to find 15 to 20 something dirty, white towels on the chairs and ground accompanied by leftover meals sitting on the tables. I immediately told the front desk and when the individual came to clean it up I overheard the attendant saying getting upset at some person stating they were supposed to clean it up and it had been like that for hours. This is the most expensive hotel in Charlotte and I extremely sad to say I will never stay there again nor recommend it to out of town guests, friends, or family.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

We wanted to take a quick trip outside the city to relax, golf, and relax a bit more-- the Ballantyne was perfect. Even though our flights were a nightmare, the fantastic experience at the Ballantyne more than made up for it!

We arrived at about 2am on Saturday, and the staff got us checked in quickly, although the lobby was dead. We had a basic, city view room-- we didn't notice any noise from outside, but we were on the top floor. The room was on the small side (it would have been normal size for a NYC hotel) for NC, but the bathroom was heavenly. There is a good size (deep and wide, but not too long) tub, marble detailing and a powerful shower. In addition, the toiletries by Gilchrist & Soames, were refilled regularly, and included a fantastic vitamin E body lotion, an aromatherapy bath gel, and bath salts.

My fiance and I travel extensively, typically to Starwood category 5s and up. We felt that the service at Ballantyne was exceptional, and I commented that I felt the resort was closer to a St. Regis than a Westin. There is no outdoor pool, but there are a few loungers on a patio outside the doors leading to the pool area (which overlook the golf course). The hotel has one main restaurant, the gallery, where we enjoyed an excellent dinner (everything well executed, good service, but not especially romantic) and in the lobby we had a delightful afternoon tea with a bit of a southern kick (apple butter).

We also played the golf course which was fun. Not as gorgeous as the courses in hawaii, but generally well maintained and a good mix of challenging holes. Also, the proshop staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

We would recommend the Ballantyne to anyone looking for a low-key high quality resort.

• Liked — The bath-- it's heavenly
  • Disliked — No outdoor pool area.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

I recently stayed at the Ballantyne Resort while visiting the Dana Rader Golf School. The property is beautiful and the golf school is top notch. I will be returning annually. The rooms are decorated impeccably with lovely bathrooms and views of the golf course. The concierge staff was very helpful. Also, if you are looking for a golf learning vacation, look no further. The instruction at Dana Radar was clear, informative and the focus on fundamentals was exactly what a weekend golfer needed.

• Liked — Room, spa, golf school
  • Disliked — Maid service was late
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Harrisburg, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate his birthday just for one night. The room was beautiful and super clean, I am really picky about that. The bathroom was all marble with a beautiful glass shower and a huge tub big enough for 2 with bath bubbles and crystals. We didn't try the restaurant in the hotel but I heard it was good. We ordered room service breakfast, reasonably priced, big portions. My only complaint was the refreshment center in the room was on a weight system, if you touched it you were charged. Our bill in the morning had a charge for $12.73 from the refreshment center and we never used it. I think my husband accidentally hit something and they just charge you. We called the front desk and they said it would be taken off, no problem. Overall we had a great 1 night getaway at the Ballantyne!

• Liked — Beautiful Room!
  • Disliked — In Room Refreshment Center
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

Spent 2 great nights at the Ballantyne- room was tasteful , a nice size, the bed very comfortable with fabulous sheets. Loved the glass shower enclosure or soaking tub option. Had a wonderful dinner in the Gallery restaurant- the beef was excellent and the service attentive. Pool was smaller than anticipated- wish they had an outdoor pool with chaises. Would return there in a heartbeat- wonderful restaurants/coffee shops across the way in Ballantyne village.

• Liked — great bed
  • Disliked — small pool
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at the Ballantyne.
We traded in 30,000 Starwood points to stay in a "luxury resort". The hotel was fine but hardly a luxury resort.

The room was on the smaller side. The bed, which was supposed to be the selling point, wasn't anything special. Yes there was a down duvet, but I'd hardly get excited by that. In sort, I found the room to be quite average.

We were charged $10/day for Internet access. The courtyard marriott down the street had free internet. Hmmm, aren't we supposed to be getting more amenities.

I did use the spa, which was very nice. However, nothing at the spa was included in my stay, so I can't put that as an added bonus for being at a luxury resort.

Overall, it was fine. Just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge? Share your experiences!