“Great place, location not central” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge

Save Saved
You added The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge to your Saves list
The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10000 Ballantyne Commons Parkway, Charlotte, NC 28277 (Ballantyne East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Carolina
“Great place, location not central”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

We just spent a nice pre-Christmas weekend at the Ballantyne. It is 17 miles from downtown in congested Charlotte traffic. Location is probably good for businessmen visiting the area.

Staff: courteous, helpful

Room: nicely furnished, though no coffee maker; coffee and rolls were for sale at the downstairs bar, in addition to full dining room meal. Wireless internet service was $10 a day; computer use in the business center was free. Only small room glitch was a hair dryer that didn't work and wasn't replaced.

Workout room: weight machines plus 8 cardio machines--treadmill, glider and bike with traditional seat. I would have liked a recumbent bike (easier to sit on) and elliptical (easier on legs).
Water, towels and individual tv's were on hand.

Spa: Relaxing waiting lounge, complete amenities, good massage therapist. Wall between massage rooms is very thin; the other therapist knocked on the wall as we were talking, so I was asked to talk in a whisper.

Restaurant: We tried breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast buffet was adequate, with lots of fruit plus the scrambled eggs, meats, smoked salmon, pastries, cereal. I wanted toast, but it was $2 extra, so I had a (fattening) croisssant. Lunch menu was tasty---salads, sandwiches, entrees. Dinner was very good (except for salty vegetables), menu not very innovative, probably because of the visiting businessmen. Dinner rolls were fantastic gougeres, gruyere popovers. Portions were too big (for those visiting businessmen).

Bar: The pianist/singer was excellent (sorry I didn't get his name), one of the best hotel lounge musicians I've heard in a long time.

I would definitely return to the Ballantyne, except for its location. We usually go to Charlotte for a play or museum, and the Ballantyne is a bit far.

• Liked — Upscale ambience, spa
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

The resort was everything a top-of-the-line property should be. The staff was well-trained to be very courteous & there were plenty of them available throughout the hotel to answer questions - practically before they were asked. The spa was excellent - very clean with a good variety of treatments, refreshments, &, again, a very good staff. There was a choice of 3 safe, wide walking/jogging trails (altho' as a woman I wouldn't go alone after dark due to so many beautiful shrubs making good hiding places for the bad guys). And, there has never been such good duck as what was prepared in the dining room of the Ballantyne Resort! The portion size was just right & the deliciousness was beyond description.

To go to this resort is definitely worth it when you need to be spoiled!

• Liked — The staff is so attentive that every need is met as soon as it arises.
  • Disliked — There was little choice at the continental b'fast for one who doesn't eat sugar, wheat, or dairy.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

The hotel is a small resort. Not one of the mega resorts. So take that with a grain of salt. The arrival experience was nice. Pleasant and professional. The cold towels were a nice touch. Although the Inn at Blitmore rocked. Every employee used my name. Tough act to follow.

So the room was huge with a balcony. The bath was large and properly equiped. Food service was good. But the gym was nice. Had a great deal of equipment for a great all around workout.

Would stay there again. Not the Inn at Biltmore, Four Seasons or Ritz but close at much more reasonable pricing. Better service than your mid 200 a night hotel.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

My wife and I stayed there for the third time. As usual the service was great. Very friendly people. The place is beautiful and clean. The afternoon tea was great. Only two issues. On our second day the room was not made up at 4:30pm. I had to go to the front counter and tell the folks that my room was not serviced at all (beds not made, towels on floor, nothing) even though the maid left a card saying they serviced the room.

I came back two hours later and the room still had not been made at 6:30pm. Then the front desk person purchased a drink "on the house" and it showed up on my bill.

Look, we really like this place and will go back again. We really like the people and they really try hard. It is just that I did not expect this to happen at a 4 star establishment. Again, we will continue to go to this wonderful resort but we expected a bit more attention to detail with the housekeeping.

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — Houskeeping fell down on the job
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

I just stayed at Ballantyne for a week and have only glowing praise for the property. I would describe Ballantyne at 5-star service in a 4-star property. From the warm greeting with cool towels to the impeccibly friendly staff resort over, the Ballantyne has the best service of any property I've stayed this year -- from Buenos Aires to Mexico City and NYC to Chicago.

Every person who works at Ballantyne is smiling and more than willing to help. The service rivals the best in NYC. My room was beautiful, in perfect condition, overlooking its green, manicured golf course.

I would/will recommend Ballantyne to everyone visitng Charlotte.

Stayed July 2007
sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I always stay at four star resorts and was extremely unhappy with Ballantyne's "4 Star Service" - basically it was 2 and a half stars. In our hotel room there was a panel off the side of the bathroom tub, exposing the plumbing and when I opened a drawer the knob fell off in my hand! Went I went outside on the patio that overlooks the golf course I was horrified to find 15 to 20 something dirty, white towels on the chairs and ground accompanied by leftover meals sitting on the tables. I immediately told the front desk and when the individual came to clean it up I overheard the attendant saying getting upset at some person stating they were supposed to clean it up and it had been like that for hours. This is the most expensive hotel in Charlotte and I extremely sad to say I will never stay there again nor recommend it to out of town guests, friends, or family.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

We wanted to take a quick trip outside the city to relax, golf, and relax a bit more-- the Ballantyne was perfect. Even though our flights were a nightmare, the fantastic experience at the Ballantyne more than made up for it!

We arrived at about 2am on Saturday, and the staff got us checked in quickly, although the lobby was dead. We had a basic, city view room-- we didn't notice any noise from outside, but we were on the top floor. The room was on the small side (it would have been normal size for a NYC hotel) for NC, but the bathroom was heavenly. There is a good size (deep and wide, but not too long) tub, marble detailing and a powerful shower. In addition, the toiletries by Gilchrist & Soames, were refilled regularly, and included a fantastic vitamin E body lotion, an aromatherapy bath gel, and bath salts.

My fiance and I travel extensively, typically to Starwood category 5s and up. We felt that the service at Ballantyne was exceptional, and I commented that I felt the resort was closer to a St. Regis than a Westin. There is no outdoor pool, but there are a few loungers on a patio outside the doors leading to the pool area (which overlook the golf course). The hotel has one main restaurant, the gallery, where we enjoyed an excellent dinner (everything well executed, good service, but not especially romantic) and in the lobby we had a delightful afternoon tea with a bit of a southern kick (apple butter).

We also played the golf course which was fun. Not as gorgeous as the courses in hawaii, but generally well maintained and a good mix of challenging holes. Also, the proshop staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

We would recommend the Ballantyne to anyone looking for a low-key high quality resort.

• Liked — The bath-- it's heavenly
  • Disliked — No outdoor pool area.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge? Share your experiences!