“For 'grown-ups'” 4 of 5 stars

Asheville, North Carolina
30 attraction reviews
“For 'grown-ups'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I REALLY enjoyed our visit to the Mint Museum ... but we visited because I wanted to see their limited-time fashion exhibit (Chanel ... it was awesome!). My kids were bored within minutes so our visit was quick. The Uptown Mint Museum is better suited to families and has more of what we like to see (i.e.: modern art exhibits) and less artifacts/history. This location has 3-4 rooms of fashion history, which I enjoyed.

Visited April 2012

Naperville, Illinois
166 attraction reviews
“Cool building, neat shows, okay permanent collection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Came to the museum to see the both the Thorton Dial show and Madeline Albright pin collection. Both of those, combined with the architecturally significant building, made the trip worthwhile. We went on a Sunday (half price admission) and they had all kinds of activities for kids and families going on. We got to listen to a live bluegrass band that was really great.

I'd say the permanent collections were alright, but didn't take a long time to go through. Not much in the way of significant contemporary art, especially since we aren't into crafts and design. If you are, you will find this museum much more up your alley.

Visited July 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“Great spot in Uptown Charlotte”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Recently visited the Picasso exhibit, it was small but well done and the facility is beautiful too. Restaurant is a little pricey, food was very good.

Maryland
34 attraction reviews
“A Gem of a Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Unfortunately, my wife and I had only a little time to visit the Mint Museum because we tickets for a production at the Knight Theatre right across the street, but I saw enough that I really want to return for a longer visit. We were very pleased that the Madelyn Allbright pin collection was on display the day we were there. This is an extensive and fascinating collection of brooches and unique pins that the former Secretary of State has collected throughout her lifetime. There were also many other permanent and limited engagement displays in the beautifully organized rooms. The Mint is certainly worth a trip to Charlotte if you're anywhere within the general area.

Queen Creek, Arizona
34 attraction reviews
“not what I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I went to the Mint Museum thinking it was about money but it was an art museum. The Gilhouly chandelier in the lobby was fabulous and so was a lot of the displays and art work and the silver set on the 4th floor - all fabulous. I was disappointed n the Fairy Tale Section - it was maccabre and I didn't like it at all - all in the "dark" vein. But it was an interesting museum with an excellent gift shop.