“Best Italian in Charlotte” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rudy's Italian Italian Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #573 of 1,849 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pineville - Matthews Rd
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Best Italian in Charlotte”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My grandparents were Sicilian immigrants, and both Gram and Mom were excellent Italian cooks. I find Rudy's dishes to be authentic and a lot like gram's, so I love the place. We've visited many times every since they opened and spend every Valentine's night there for dinner. I especially love the osso buco, the pasta bolognese and the calamari. The salad with pears and walnuts is great.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Wonderful meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My sister and a friend wanted to treat my husband and me to a belated anniversary dinner during their visit to Charlotte earlier this week. We had a fantastic dinner at Rudy's. Everyone enjoyed their appetizers/salads - I particularly enjoyed the stuffed artichoke hearts with goat cheese! I was surprised to see some of the earlier reviews regarding the quality of the food. All of our choices were fresh and delicious. Our entrees were also all wonderful - Veal Francese, Veal Saltimbocca, and Penne in Vodka Sauce with Shrimp. While we were there on an evening that was not particularly busy, the service was impeccable. Our server was incredibly friendly, helpful, and efficient. Altogether, we had a lovely experience!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlotte, NC
“Excellent Itlalian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We used a $25 for $50 Social Living Coupon. The food and service were excellent! We started with goat dressing salad. The waiter, Carl, suggested we split it in half because it was enough for two. The prices are reasonable, contrary to Boeing Chicago's review. I had Frutti Di Mare with white sauce and my wife had veal stuffed canneloni. Both delicious. I'm from Brooklyn and I know good Italian when I get it! For dessert; cheese cake with fruit and peach mango gelato.
DELICIO!!!!!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Worst dining experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Rudy’s Italian Restaurant & Bar is as awful a place as I have ever come across. Rudy’s has really terrible food, really terrible service, very high prices, and to top it all off, they committed credit card fraud. Allow me to give some details about this dreadful restaurant.

TERRIBLE food. We ordered two house salads. The menu describes the “Insalata Rudy’s” as “Field greens tossed w/diced pears, caramelized walnuts, raisins & gorgonzola honey dressing”. What we got was lettuce w/very unripe, hard and flavorless small cubes of pear. Hardly any walnuts and raisins. And no gorgonzola honey dressing. Instead of any actual salad dressing, the lettuce was coated with oil. Not olive oil. The lettuce was oiled up with unflavored cooking oil. I would guess it was either plain Wesson or canola oil.

VERY HIGH prices. When you look at the real cost that you are paying at Rudy’s, you feel like a sucker for paying so much for such lousy food. The real cost includes the menu price, plus tax, plus 15% tip. So for two “Insalata Rudy’s” you are going to pay over $17.

TERRIBLE food. For an appetizer we ordered the “Baked artichokes stuffed with goat cheese and spinach in a roasted pepper garlic white wine sauce”. What we got was a few marinated artichokes right out of the marinated artichoke jar that is found on the store shelf. Instead of garden fresh “Baked artichokes” we were served unpleasant, sour, vinegary, marinated artichokes. And the “roasted pepper garlic white wine sauce” never made it to the plate. No sauce at all. This was a truly terrible, way overpriced dish.

TERRIBLE food. One entrée special was the “Pan seared Tilapia with a garlic sauce”. The fish was not pan seared, it was baked. It was mushy. It was flavorless and was served without the sauce.

TERRIBLE service. Our server, first thing, told us that “tonight was half price martini night”. When our bill came I noticed that we had been charged full price for two unusually expensive martinis. His explanation was that “half price martini night only applies if you are seated in the bar”.

CREDIT CARD FRAUD. I discovered that a week after dining at Rudy’s someone at the restaurant had increased the amount of the credit card charge by 27 %. This was illegally done without my permission and without my knowledge.

The lessons to be learned from Rudy’s is that what you read on the menu or are told by the waiter is not what will be served at the table. Once Rudy’s has your credit card, they may try to swindle you (as they did me). At the end of the meal you will have overpaid for appallingly bad strip-mall-food.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boise, Idaho
“Attack of the Groupon!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I've lived in Charlotte for about nine months and have considered trying Rudy's a couple of times. A Groupon offer finally tempted my husband and I to go, but at 7:30 on a Saturday night the place was packed. It was pretty evident the place usually isn't that busy.

The decor leaves a lot to be desired with uncomfortable wicker chairs, cheap chandeliers, and an orange swirl paint effect on the walls. The circular bar is neat, but makes for a crowded entry-way. They do carry 40 bottles of wine, 30 of which can be had by the glass.

Our server was running behind and was slow to take our order. If he had been nicer and more relaxed it wouldn't have even been a big deal. As it was, he seemed out of breath and acted like it was a bother to tell us the daily specials. The food was just okay and it was slow in coming out. Lots of dishes featured peas! We ordered the Tiramisu to go and it was only average as well. A slice that a table next to us received a dollop of whip cream, but ours did not.

With so many other dining options in Charlotte, my husband and I won't be going back to Rudy's. The food takes too long, the staff isn't friendly, and the dining room needs a make-over.

JeriWB.com Teacher Writer Traveler