“A Mix of Good and Bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Charlotte Center City

Save Saved
You added HYATT house Charlotte Center City to your Saves list
HYATT house Charlotte Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   435 E Trade St, Charlotte, NC 28202 (Formerly Hotel Sierra Charlotte Center City)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #5 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
Alexandria, Virginia
“A Mix of Good and Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Long drive, and I was tired. Just wanted to settle down in my room for the concert that evening. Great location for those going to the Time Warner Arena!

My bed linens/sheets were dirty. Seed-like things on the bedspread. Some sort of black stuff and other matter in the sheets and on the mattress.

I got another room. It was nice. Very clean. It put me off schedule though.

The Mac & Cheese I got had meat in it and was spicy. It was the worst mac and cheese I've ever eaten--also got it without a tray and without silverware. Had to wait for that. Put me further off schedule.

Other than that, the stay was very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, I do apologize for the state of the first room you were placed in. Although I am glad to hear that we were able to rectify the situation, it is an issue that never should have happened to begin with. We have discussed the issue with our housekeeping department to make sure it does not happen again.
I also am sorry you did not like our Tasso Ham Mac & Cheese, we typically get very good reviews on it. We do make that item fresh, and can make adjustments at the time of order if you would like. We have also spoken to room service about making sure they have all of their correct items before delivering, and an oversight such as forgetting the silverware will hopefully not be forgotten again.
It is easy to see how a few small problems can escalate into a larger one, we are happy that the rest of your stay went well, and if there is anything else that you will need, please do not hesitate to contact us.

408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Staff was more than helpful and kind. Everyone from the valet to the front desk, to the omelette chef at breakfast made it a point to make us feel comfortable. The breakfast area is great, very cozy, as well as the lobby which is conjoined. The location couldn't be much better, right beside the TWC Arena, a block from EpiCentre, and just a short walk from the heart of downtown. The only negative would be the price is almost a little much, especially after the required valet charge of $22 per day they don't tell you abundantly about before-hand. Although the valet service is great, it's just a little unfortunate that there is no alternative. But other than that, absolutely great stay. Even the receptionist at 4 in the morning was more than helpful when my wife needed some medicine from the mini-shop in the lobby.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel, we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I am very sorry you feel our parking rates are too high, with our location, and the way our garage is built, we have opted to have a third party company do all of our valet for safety, and ease of use. I do hope you come back to see us again, and if you do, book your room on Hyatt.com. We have a parking package that will help to save you some money on your next stay.
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Me and my wife took a weekend trip to Charlotte and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We checked in around 3:30 and were checked in about 3 minutes. The lady at the front desk explained the breakfast hours and hotel bar/restaurant hours. When I booked, I requested a higher room with a city view, and we were granted that with room 1701, which is on the top floor and overlooks the Time Warner Cable stadium and the downtown skyline.

The rooms was huge, with a seating area and a kitchen. The windows had curtains and rolling shades and the kitchen was stocked with utensils, plates, cups and cooking items. The shower was very big as well and the bed was very comfortable.

The hotel was located within steps of the Time Warner Cable Arena and about a 5 minute walk to the Epicenter, central bus station and Charlotte's, light rail system.

Food at the hotel was great. The omelets for breakfast was a nice touch and the hotel restaurant had great food too. We order room service (1) night and had it within 20 minutes.

The only thing I wish they had was an ice bucket, I had to use one of the bowls to carry ice back up to our room.

Room Tip: Room 1701 has a great view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for leaving such a great review of our hotel! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel, and hope that you will be back soon.
Our studio and one bedroom suites do not have ice buckets as they have ice makers in the freezer. However, the next time you are here, if you need an ice bucket, or anything else, just ask and we will have it brought to your room.
Thanks again, and we will see you the next time you are in Charlotte!
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I came to Charlotte for a conference and needed a place to stay downtown (or, Uptown, as it's called). Hyatt House's location was ideal, the price was good, as were the reviews. I booked a King studio suite which came with a mini kitchen that had a full size fridge, a microwave, and a small stove and dishwasher. The cupboards are stocked with dishes, pots, and pans. This alone makes it a great choice for anyone wanting to cook in the room or who is staying for an extended period of time.

In the room, the decor is somewhat modern, with lots of gray and white accented by purple. The bed was very comfortable, but the pillows were not - they would 'deflate' overnight, meaning they were too flat by morning but too puffy to stack up at night. The bathroom is nice, with a huge and functional shower - the only complaint here is that there are no drawers in the sink vanity, just two open little cubbies, so you can't really put anything 'away'. In addition to the usual soaps, etc., they stocked the bathroom with a small tube of toothpaste. The living room has a couch and a coffee table/ottoman, plus a writing desk. There is no safe in the room.

Notes about the hotel in general: the staff were all friendly and helpful, check-in was smooth, and smoking is not allowed. There is a free breakfast each morning which generally consisted of eggs, some kind of meat (ham, bacon, etc), potatoes, grits, an assortment of pastries, fruit, cereal, coffee, tea, etc. and an omelet station. Also free is the wifi available throughout the hotel and the business center where you can use their computers to print your boarding pass, etc. The location is ideal, near the Epicenter and almost across the street from the bus station. There isn't much of a view, since across the street is a parking lot, but I suspect few hotels in Charlotte have anything approaching a view.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and would do so again - especially if I pack my own pillow!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for leaving your review, we are very glad you enjoyed your stay. I was sorry to hear you did not like our pillows, since they are feather pillows, they do have the tendency to "deflate" over night. We do offer foam pillows upon request which may offer a little more support.
Please keep us in mind the next time you are in Charlotte, we would love to have you back!
Starkville, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Hyatt house Charlotte Center City is a small personable boutique style hotel. Their saying says it all… ‘You’re not just a guest. You’re a welcome resident!” From the minute you enter the doors into their chic lobby/reservation area you feel welcomed. The Hyatt house is adjacent to the Time Warner Cable Arena and that’s perfect for you basketball fans! Everything you need is within walking distance. There is an EpiCentre which has a CVS Pharmacy and is known as an entertainment and dining marketplace. The LYNX light rail is right next door to the EpiCentre. You find yourself 3 blocks from the NASCAR Hall of Fame, 5 blocks from the Wells Fargo Center and if you’re in town for a meeting like we were, you are 6 blocks from the Convention Center. The walk to and from the convention center is a nice stroll…either to wake you up in the morning or exercise those legs after a long day in technical sessions. If you don’t feel like walking to the CC, the Hyatt House has a complimentary limo service to the convention center.

The HH has a complimentary breakfast with TO DIE FOR omelets! The HH also has a full bar along with what they call a Sip+Savor Menu…just perfect for that small, hit the spot meal. They also have a little market place where you can buy food of all sorts for you room, since the room is equipped with a full-stocked kitchen and a full-size refrigerator.

If you are one that likes to travel with your pet(s)…yes, pets are allowed!

On more of a personal note, during our stay, my husband got sick. When I went down to get a Sprite from the market place, the person at the front desk asked me if everything was OK. I told her that my husband was sick and she jumped into action! Made sure I had crackers, even got the waiter that was leaving for the night to go to the kitchen and get me assorted crackers. The next morning, I went back down to the market place to get more drinks for the refrigerator and that same person was there and the first thing she wanted to know was “How is your husband this morning!” Plus she was handing me more crackers.

ALSO, and unfortunately you don’t find this too often any more when traveling, but when we leave heading back home…I had this feeling that I had left something or I was missing something. Couldn’t put my finger on it. Anyway as we got closer to Atlanta, it dawned on me what it was…MY WALLET! Yes, we get home; I immediately unpacked my bags to find that in deed I had left my wallet, driver’s licenses, credit cards and cash. We called the HH, the young lady at the desk she would check with Housekeeping and call us back. She did just that! She had good news that Housekeeping did have my wallet and they would Next Day Deliver it to me via FedEx. It’s good to know that there are still some honest people in this world.

I would highly recommend the Hyatt House Charlotte Convention Center if you are in the area!

Room Tip: All of their rooms are either King Studio's or two room suites and some with balconies. Not a b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! I think we are going to need to call you to help out the next time we need write a new description of our hotel.
We hope to see you again the next time you are in Charlotte!
Lowell, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We flew to Charlotte on 11/10/12 for the sole purpose of going to see the Denver Broncos play the Carolina Panthers and stayed in this hotel for two nights. We had a king bed and the room had a little sitting area with a couch and another chair. Mini kitchen had everything you could need for a few night stay, including utensils, a dishwasher, full fridge, and a wine bottle opener. Hotel was great- bed was comfortable (on the firm side, which I love, but not everyone does), bathroom was nice, room was clean, etc. Front desk staff were great and helpful. The business center was right in front of the elevators and we had no trouble printing off our boarding passes for our flights. The hot breakfast was good and the omelet station was fantastic! Staff during breakfast was extremely nice, funny, and friendly. Actually, everyone we made contact with during our stay was friendly- from housekeeping to the maintenance man we talked to in the elevator! We did walk onto the outside patio area that had the very small outdoor pool - it was off of the 7th floor. Good area to take a glass of wine or a cocktail and sit outside and look at the city. For our purposes, the hotel was about a mile from the NFL stadium (Bank of America Stadium). It was an enjoyable walk through the downtown (or uptown as they call it) area. Yes, the hotel is near the bus terminal station but we did not feel unsafe as some of the other reviewers mentioned. There were police/security outside whenever we walked by, no matter the time of day/night. The hotel is within walking distance to most of the restaurants/bars in the uptown area. The hotel is right next to Time Warner if you are traveling for a basketball game or concert. We were able to go to a bar at the Epicenter (about two blocks away) called Howling at the Moon. It was a dueling piano bar and we highly recommend! We didn't use any bus or train services while there. We did take a taxi from the aiport to the hotel and it was $25.00 each way (not including tip). The hotel was less than 10 miles from the airport. This was our first trip to Charlotte and we enjoyed every second!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Wow! Thank you so much for your review! It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much while you were with us. Please come back and see us anytime you are in Charlotte.
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Very nice and clean! Up to date rooms and very clean. Great hot breakfast and the bar is loaded with good beers and spirits! The hotel has a great location and its easy to walk just about anywhere in the up-town area! I'll stay there again!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you so much for your fantastic review, I hope we will see you back again soon!

Been to HYATT house Charlotte Center City? Share your experiences!