“Beware of Wedding Parties” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne

Save Saved
You added Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne to your Saves list
Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13139 Ballantyne Corporate Place, Charlotte, NC 28277 (Ballantyne East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #26 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Beware of Wedding Parties”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had been anticipating staying in this hotel and attending a very special event for three months. By the time I checked out this morning I was absolutely livid and my great time was not so great any longer. I am hoping this was either a very rare occurrence or those reviews are not making the sites.

It appears that I was one of several lucky folks that were placed on the third floor with a wedding party. All the drama started at 11 pm and then started again a little after 2 am and went until about 4:30. Security was outside from what I saw with my own eyes four times and one of those times I called to ask for security to be sent back up. The two rooms directly across from me and one beside me were the worst. The guy across from me kept standing in his doorway and yelling out on and off for over two hours. In additional to his drunken yelling he also kept going from door to door trying to get into other rooms and yelling for them to open up. I think he kept confusing my room with his friends room.

I will be honest I was not feeling very safe at all at this point in the night with all this going on. Security finally threatened to call the police on him if he disrupted anyone again. Never say him again but within 10 min a huge group of people came down the hall and were congregating in the hall and going from room to room yet again laughing and yelling. Security came back yet again and told them to break it up and go to their rooms which they did with more cursing and yelling on the way out.

Needless to say I did not get any sleep last night and left the hotel over an hour later than I was supposed to because I was so tired and had and still have a major headache. Not the best way I wanted to start my long drive in the pouring rain.

At checkout I expressed that I did not have a good stay when asked how my stay was. As soon as they saw which room I was in the cheery atmosphere changed instantly. They absolutely knew what happened over the night and not willing to get into it. I honestly feel like it was an uncomfortable situation for the front desk staff. It was a real shame because the same agent that checked me in also checked me out and even helped me the next day when my key stopped working because it was to close to my cell while I was out for the day. The lady was so friendly and nice.

Unfortunately I was only told so sorry your stay was not so great and offered some free breakfast. I declined because I already had a coupon for additional points or $5 for the market for choosing to go green and I was really running late. Then I was offered some additional points to be added to my rewards card. I have no idea what was added if anything and I did take a Coke from the market café to keep me awake on my drive. Honestly I did not have the time to pursue the issue any further and I am sure the staff was just offering solutions that they have been trained to offer. I honestly expected a lot more from the W brand and Starwood hotels.

This was all very unfortunate because this hotel has a great atmosphere the grounds are well kept and the room was very clean and in great shape. I paid for a great view and got a great view. The rooms themselves are very sound proof in that you cannot hear the people next door but you can definitely hear everything in the halls when people are being loud.

I would suggest to avoid some very unhappy guest in the future to keep wedding parties all on the same floor as much as possible. I know that can be difficult but placing people throughout the middle of that block of rooms was not a good experience for those of us not with there for the wedding.

I have mixed feelings about staying here again. This was by far the worst experience I have had in a hotel and I have stayed in places all over the world. But I did leave a nice note and some cash for the person that cleaned my room. Hopefully they had a better day than I did.

Room Tip: Rooms are acutally pretty sound proof the hallways are very loud which caused poor sleep. Golf Co...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Littlebean23,

Thank you for staying with us at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne and for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize that our hotel fell short of your expectations and for the inconveniences experienced due to noisy guests. At Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, we take all feedback very seriously, and our guests’ comfort and safety are our top priorities. Our team is committed to providing our guests with comfortable accommodations and exceptional service in an inviting environment, and again we are sorry that we did not deliver an enjoyable experience. We have added 7,000 courtesy points to your Starwood Preferred Guest account. Thanks again for sharing your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve the guest experience.

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This brand of Starwood is definitely more college, dorm style casual and not a typical Hotel experience which may be a real breath of fresh air for some travelers. Lobby is casual, had a bar, comfy group seating and a pool table. The free pool table is a nice amenity and not what u normally get in a hotel stay. The rooms are odd. Not sure I would share with a business associate based on bathroom not having much privacy. Trendy low bed, big screen TV, not much of a view but ok work station with a window. If you prefer an upscale hotel, this is not it. If you are young and want casual and trendy new look on a hotel stay, this may be right up your alley!

• Stayed March 2013
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hi there Rrmwork

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our Aloft. I am glad you enjoyed our different style of hotel. we hope to see you again in the near future!

Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

this is definitely the most "modern" hotel I've been to. Took me a while to get used to keeping your room card in the door to activate the lights. However, very nice rooms & amenities. Great lobby/bar (with nice pool table) for hanging out after work. Great for a business trip.

Hello Harry T!

Thanks for your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our "modern" style and that you had fun at the wxyz bar and lounge!
We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip!

Boone, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my first stay at an Aloft hotel. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the hotel atmosphere. The common area is fun, with live music on select nights. Our business meeting included a group of 10+ people and we enjoyed being able to hang around the bar area to visit. The rooms are spacious given the European styling. Very functional.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Well hello there Dr_E_Boone!

Thanks for the great review of our Aloft. We appreciate your great comments and it sounds like you liked the vibe of the Aloft!

We hope to see you and your colleagues next time you are in Ballantyne for a business trip!

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very trendy and "European" style. The room was fun and really clean. When you walk in you have to put your key card in a wall-slot to turn on the electricity. It was a decent size room for the price. The only weird thing is the shower as it has the frosty glass that goes into the corner of the bedroom. You can see, but can't see the person in the shower if this makes sense. I would feel awkward If I was Sharing the room with siblings, etc.

As far as the staff goes, the hotel was crowded for a convention so I was never able to use the free van shuttle service for up to 2 miles. Instead I walked about 1/2 mile to the shops and the hotel with the golf course. It is an okay area to walk around by yourself.

No hotel resturant though, just a bar and one of those catering service menus.

• Stayed March 2013
Hi there Candiejo

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in town!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Aloft is an interesting concept. It is sleek and modern with lots of metal, glass and bright colors. One is struck upon entering by the circular area in the center upon entering. It is the reception desk, but at first blush it looks a bit like a sales counter. The staff, however, was outstanding and very accommodating. That was true of every staff member throughout my stay.

The hotel has some very nice features such as a pool open until 1:00 am and a 24 hour gym. It is a green hotel and certified as such. Everything humanly possible to be environmentally responsible has been done. Among other things, one has to insert a key to turn on the lights in the room, and one can opt out of maid service in exchange for a voucher good for credit on a snack or meal or Starwood points.

The snack bar produces decent breakfast options fairly priced, but it is truly more of a snack bar than a restaurant. The bar area seems well equipped, however.

Rooms are adequate in size (two queen beds will get you more room than a king), but certainly "different." When I entered the room, I entered the bath area with sink, etc., though the toilet and shower are in an adjacent space. There is a use of cubby spaces and the like.. I must say it took some getting used to. I found the decor too modernistic for my tastes, though adequate in comfort. The bed was great complete with comforter.

I did miss having a restaurant in the hotel, particularly since there are few restaurants close by.

I should also say that with the space age decor came great AV technology, a large flat screen television, but a retro alarm clock that rings like clocks back in the day. One would have to be comatose to sleep through that clock.

In sum, though I prefer more traditional hotel rooms, the service by the staff, the environmental consciousness, etc. made this a pleasant enough stay.

Room Tip: Get two queen beds rather than a king
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Hi Ken 4401!

Thanks for your thorough and detailed review of our Aloft. I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay even if the design and style of our property were not exactly to your tastes. Thank you for noticing our commitment to the environment and the service of the talent who work here. One thing to note is that we have a complientary shuttle that will take you to over 60 restaurants within a 2 mile radius of the hotel for future stays.
We hope that you will stop by and visit us again in the future!

quaker
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were in Charlotte for five nights last week. The Aloft staff went out of their way to help us. The facility is new, clean, cool, with lots to do for kids. Nice bar and lobby area with games. Pool and fitness center were great. Rooms were large, clean, well designed, with lots of neat little extras. Definitely a green facility as well. Typical awesome Starwood beds too. Highly recommend to business or leisure travelers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hi Pennquaker

I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write a review about our property. We are very pleased to see that you and your family had a great time! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.

Cheers!

Alastair Jones

Been to Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne? Share your experiences!