“Upscale without being pricey.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Basil Thai Restaurant

Basil Thai Restaurant
210 N. Church St., Charlotte, NC 28202 (Fourth Ward)
704 332 7212
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fourth Ward
Description: Refined Thai Cuisine and an invigorating dining experience in the heart of downtown Charlotte, NC. Basil's infectious atmosphere centers around a prominent glass kitchen as the sound of heat to metal, blade to board and liquid to flame resonate throughout the restaurant. Dine with us and celebrate quality cuisine made with the finest, freshest ingredients.Private rooms and catering available!!
Leland, North Carolina
“Upscale without being pricey.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Since this was our first visit, we asked lots of questions. Our waiter was very helpful with our drink selections & was right on the money with his wine suggestion. Chicken Satay was WONDERFUL! We had 4 different entrees & they were all great. We were seated in the bar area, & the window seats were a little odd - high, padded bench seats against the window with high bar-stool type chairs on the aisle. Not very comfortable for the short-legged people in our party. BUT, we will definitely go back on our next visit to Charlotte.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great food at reasonable prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Front of house staff need to learn to smile! Three people staring one down on arrival was unnerving. Delicious starters, satay chicken and Basil rolls, with prompt arrival. Fabulous cocktails. When the starter plates were removed the waitress took the used cutlery off the plates and left them for us to use for the main! But they were replaced when we asked. Mains were delicious, crispy roast duck and jumbo shrimp with plenty of rice.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Great Food Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Nice upsale Thai restaurant. Some interesting things on the menu (like the crispy spicy duck), very good food, excellent service.
Warm and beautiful atmosphere.

Visited February 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Get the Duck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Had dinner with friends on a Saturday night after a conference at the adjacent Marriott. Helpful and attentive server. Recommended the duck over the whole fish - she did not steer me wrong. Full-bodied aromatic sauce with slight pineapple sweetness, duck prepared medium - very tender. The hot dishes were plenty spicy with "regular" hot - we did not go for the "Thai Hot." The valet service was overwhelmed after dinner around 8pm. Lively atmosphere. Overall very good - we'll be back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Visit at your own risk”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Basil has been my favorite restaurant for a long time now but my last experience makes me wonder how a single incidence of rude,obstinate,i-dont-care attitute and i-can-get away-with-it as Im the owner can make me frightened of ever stepping in that restaurant again.
I went with a group of 9 colleagues from office to celebrate one of the good occasions. Needless to say we were all happy and glad about this break. We love Basil food but when our order started arriving the waiter who had taken our order was not serving the food but someone else. He messed up most of our orders but we adjusted among ourselves. Im a vegetarian with no egg no meat no tofu in my order. When my food arrived, I politely asked "is it no egg no meat" even before i saw the plate. It had egg in it. The waiter was angry and said “the note says no meat so did u say no egg?” His voice was so loud and rude, he was almost screaming. I said yes “No egg no meat and no Tofu was what i had ordered for”. He shouted a few more things like now this is a change of order and literally slammed the door and walked into the kitchen. I had enough and said “please cancel my oder as i was in no mood to eat”. The waiter who had taken my order came back and said –“sorry. I cant help it because he is the owner.”
All my teammates had started the lunch and i used all my will power to not walk out of this place. For 2 reasons i did not want to insult the food that was on the table and the mood of my teammates. (not that it was the same when we had arrived)

I wanted to write a complaint in the register but they did not give me one and said they cannot help it as the owner was always like this when stressed. I wonder if he thinks he can get away with this rude behavior because he thinks because they are nice to certain kind of people and can be rude to ceratin other. I do not want to give another dimension to this by referring to it as racial discrimination because I can never imagine him talking to my clients like that and will give the benefit of doubt as a one in case of arrogance.

Next time you are there be mentally prepared for someone to come and start screaming at you for their mistake. Go at your own risk

Visited February 2013