“Amazing newer hotel - modern and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing newer hotel - modern and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in the end of March. It was truly fantastic. The service from start to finish was exemplary, and the room was spacious and comfortable.

Service: Excellent. The front desk was friendly and accommodating when I checked in and when I needed a taxi to the airport the next morning. They were prompt in bringing up room service and made sure to ask if there was anything else they could do for me. I was impressed at their ability to be friendly and attentive, but not overly intrusive.

Food: I got room service from BLT Steak. It's expensive, but was probably one of the best filet mignons I've ever had. If you're only here for a short time, as I was, get the steak! You'll appreciate it and it's worth it if you only do it once. It came on a nice platter and was well-presented. Breakfast the next morning was tasty, delivered promptly to my table in the lobby, and reasonably priced.

Room: The room was very nice. It was their standard Deluxe room, but it's larger than you'd expect. You enter and there is a rather long hallway that leads you to the main room, where there is soft lighting and mood music playing. On the left is the gigantic bathroom, complete with standalone tub, shower, and separate partitioned room for the toilet. There are double sinks with a television built into the mirror. The main room is twice the size of what one would expect. The bed is huge and ridiculously comfortable, and there is a desk and sitting area. There is lots of space for storing clothes (closets, dressers, etc.) and everything seems to be thought of. There are plugs for various phones and electronics, a white noise machine, slippers and robes, extra pillows, blankets, magazines, a large television, a well-stocked mini bar, and even a little box for the remote control. The room, mine on the 11th floor, looks out over the Charlotte skyline and a contemporary office building. The blackout curtains were very effective, and the iPod dock had quality sound.

Ambience/Amenities: The entire hotel is elegant and modern. It is classy, but has convenient and modern touches throughout. The lobby is stunning, and the breakfast area is comfortable and enjoyable. At night there are people enjoying cocktails in the lobby, and there is an amazing chocolate bar that had the most delicious looking treats. Upstairs, on the 18th floor, there is the wonderful indoor pool. It is cold, but there are lots of plush towels to use, and there is a hot tub to warm up in, followed by towels covered in eucalyptus for refreshment and bottled water. One can also sit on comfortable lounge chairs and look out over the uptown area of Charlotte.

Location: I was there for a short time, so I didn't explore much beyond the hotel, but it seems to be in a hopping, well-established and populated area with arenas, shops, restaurants, bars and convention-type places all within walking distance.

The airport is located about 15 minutes away, and will be $25 to or from the hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel. It is the place to stay in Charlotte for a luxury excursion. Enjoy it!

Room Tip: The rooms are all on high floors, I believe, but the higher the better! My room was large and sunny...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel with superb service, but nothing can make up for the noise coming from the club across the street. All you can hear is loud music and traffic from 11 pm - 2 am. They have sound machines in every room but it didnt really mask the vibrating and thumping of the bass from dance music!

The room was to die for, we had an executive suite. Just gorgeous, clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly, professional and efficient but what is the point if you can not sleep!

Last time we stayed here we had a room on the other side of the hotel which was less noisy but still not quiet. I have lived in NYC so I am used to city noise but this was crazy. It is really a shame because this may be one of my favorite hotels if I could actually sleep when there!

Apopka, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Stayed here for a night heading back home from college touring. Really disappointed no Club level here. Never had stayed at a RC with no Club level. Front desk upgraded us to a 2 queen executive suite. Beautiful room! Beautiful views of the city. Very spacious. Pretty expensive to park ($30) but breakfast was a bargain....$10 bankers breakfast, coffee, eggs, choice of meat, potaoes and toast.
The pool is located on the 18th floor I think and is enclosed but looks out over the city, very nice.
They also have a bar for just guests located on the 15th floor but we didn't have a drink there. The valet told us about a sushi place directly across the street, great sushi, but pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade!
charlotte
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I live in Charlotte and my husband surprised me with a weekend Birthday stay at the Ritz. The staff became aware it was my Birthday and graciously sent up some sweets for us to enjoy however we were on our way out to dinner so planned to enjoy them later We returned to our room about 3 hours later to find that turn down service had been provided and noted that housekeeping must have been hungry because one of the cookies was missing from the plate.We had placed the plate right by the coffee bar before leaving so it was the first thing we saw upon reentering the room and as soon as it registered we both just looked at each other . We could not believe that a hotel of this kind would have staff of this caliber.So of course after this incident I went straight to where my jewelery was to make sure that it was still there. I never would have expected this to happen at 5 star hote. I let management know through phone call and they offered to replace the cookies but no thanks . On another note my husband and I also had Sunday breakfast in the restaurant and the waitress took 10 minutes to acknowledge us and take our drink order- and it was NOT busy by any means. She them proceeded to bring us our breakfast but not as ordered and just actually laughed it off saying that waht she brought us probably actually tasted better than what we had ordered.We left two small children at home in Charlotte with a babysitter and were actually looking forward to having a nice relaxing breakfast before going back home but such was not the case. This weekend is Food and Wine weekend in Charlotte and my husband just let me know that he had booked a night at the Ritz this Friday so that we would be able to enjoy the festivities. Thanks heavens he let me know before hand. I just cancelled the reservation. lI would much rather stay at the Ballantyne Hotel and pay the $45.00 car service fee. Their service is always impeccable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is our second time at this Ritz and just like the first time, it is wonderful, we love everything about this hotel, they sent an amazing cake,with a card from management when we told them it was my birthday... Very comfortable bed,shower/ bath is great,wife got a facial they,gave us late check out and I got a complimentary pass to the spa.

• Stayed April 2012
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I used some Marriott points to stay for a wkend in early December. Weather was still great and you are in walking distance to super restaurants in all price ranges, shopping and Discovery Science Kids Museum. (reason for our visit) We arrived early and they let us check in, upgraded our room to a suite and everyone was friendly and very helpful. It was AMAZING. We had the best weekend, staff was great and offered my son toys every trip to the Lobby. Also it was decorated for Christmas was very nice. The location is perfect and it was a Perfect Stay..and if you have a three year old that is not always easy to come by!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We spent the night at the Ritz enroute back to DC. The night before we were at the St. Regis in Atlanta. The room in St. Regis is pretty ( with crown-modling, marble floor, etc), and I expected the Ritz will be the same as well; after all, the Ritz is the top line of the Marriott group, so my expectation is it will be at least on par with St. Regis, four seasons, park hyatt, and more.

The service was great. The gentleman at the front desk, Mark, was super nice, upon our arrival, they presented my 4-year-old with a wheel barrow fulled of little cars and toys. Then I told them it will be my son's first Easter that he is not spending at home, asked them if it was possible to set up something special since my toddler still believes in Easter bunny. The next morning my son received a basket with chocolate and fruit, and a little card wrote by " peter the rabbit." I have to say the overall service was great, at least everyone in the family was happy.

Although I have to say when I entered the room, I was disappointed. The room had outdated green carpet through out, no crown-molding, no details. It's a very standard room, like any regular room you can find in Grand Hyatt, or Westin, just more space. However, the space without appropriate furnishing made the room look outdated and empty. The bathroom was standard, a soak tub with seperate shower, double sink with a toilet that madr loud nosies when I flushed. The gym and pool were fantastic, water was warm, not too crowded, with state of the art equipment.

The location was good too, access to everything. Too bad we didn't have time to hang around.

Well, I got the room for free by using my miles with airline company. I would go back for the service, but hopefully the room are updated next time when I visit.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for room not facing to the epicenter. It could be loud otherwise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte? Share your experiences!