“Quirky” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night, Dessert
STANLEY
“Quirky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

A lot of fun and with very eclectic people. Someone might get up and read a poem. Games on shelves for the whole family. Pastries are to die for. Try the sea salt caramel brownies. Rooms go on and on to sit in. Sofas comfy chairs and funky tables. It is located in NODA one of the fastest growing art districts in the country. Wi-fi and great chandeliers. I take everyone here!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Barrie, Ontario
“Great Parisian Cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I feel in love with this little café/bakery. The service was fantastic, the lattes were lovely and the almond tea cake was delicious! A must visit for an eclectic atmosphere and Parisian flair.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Clyde, North Carolina
“I really wanted to LOVE this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

To be completely honest, I've never been quite satisfied with items from Amelie's. The pastry and tart counter looks so scrumptious, but then the taste falls flat. Sandwiches are okay, but not worth a special trip.

I will say this, if you do go, they make a killer Russian tea during the Holiday season.

Cute atmosphere, laptops de rigueur!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Amelie's Petite Tryon Street Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I visited Amelie's Tryon Street location near the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art. My blueberry muffin had a cream cheese filling and was so yummy. Plus they had Sprecher gourmet cream sodas. I was a very happy patron!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Not all it's cracked up to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Everyone - EVERYONE....raves about Amelie's. I've been here several times over the years so feel like I've given it a fair chance. My most recent visit was today. Let's break this down because my rating needs to be explained.
First what's great. The ambience and decor and the best things about Amelie's. There is nothing like it in Charlotte that I've ever heard about. It's decorated in "early and mid eclectic" and I do mean eclectic. Nothing matches, everything looks salvaged or made as an experiment, and it all works. It's great. THere are several rooms where you can sit and eat or work or whatever, and you can eat "outside" in the mall (which is nicer than it sounds) or outside by the parking lot (also nicer than it sounds). Decor and ambience get 5 stars.
That said, the food is truly, really, just average. Sorry, it is. The pastries look better than they taste. Yes I said that. Not that I haven't tried my fair share of them! Today we had both lunch AND pastries. My soup was very good and my open-face sandwich was also good, but neither were to die for. My friend, who knows her pastry, pronounced hers just "average" and commented several times how disappointed she was in it since everyone had told her what great food Amelie's has. Frankly I must agree. I am a good cook but I'm not too picky, and when I rate restaurants I tend to be relatively generous. So food gets 3 stars. And for a restaurant, since food trumps atmosphere in my mind, Amelie's gets 3 stars.
Let's also talk price. Since everyone spends so much time raving about Amelie's they can charge a bit more and they do that. I'm not complaining too much since I understand the economics of running a food establishment, but as an example $1.99 for one small filled cookie seems a bit steep to me. So does 6+ dollars for a bowl of vegetarian soup. So that too gets 3 stars.
All in all, a 3-star place.

• 3 of 5 stars Food