“Brunch Treat - Love IT” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Monte is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 1,940 restaurants in Charlotte
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Allen Tate Building at Phillips Place
Description: Cafe Monte is known for offering affordable, high quality French fare exquisitely prepared to order.Our classic French-country favorites, served all day, include fresh pastries, salads, sandwiches, quiches, and crepes. We also have a full breakfast menu.In addition, please enjoy our bistro service that features mussels, steak and pommes frites, rotisserie chicken, and other specialties served in a casual and comfortable European setting.Daily chef specials include fresh seafood and regional specialties from around the world. Cafe Monte is committed to using only the highest quality ingredients served fresh at an exceptional value for our customers. We make quality French food accessible to all. Bon Apetit!
NC
“Brunch Treat - Love IT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Cafe Monte was great for lunch/brunch. I had an omelet. My "peeps" had quiche. A perfect Sunday brunch place.

Visited September 2012
Monte S, Owner at Cafe Monte, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for coming to see us for a delicious brunch! I'm happy to hear that everyone enjoyed their meals. We'd be happy to see you back again any time you want a lovely afternoon out together.

80% Recommend
north carolina
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Went for lunch with my husband, hoping for a romantic little brunch spot. It was ok. He got an egg dish that was ok and certainly better than the cakes gooey sauce covered dessert...Eric...I meant breakfast that i got. It was so sweet I just couldn't face it so early in the days and just left it. The coffee was good tho, so that was a plus. I'm sort of sad, I was hoping to find a cute little brunch spot close to home, but I guess I need to just keep searching.

Visited September 2012
Monte S, Owner at Cafe Monte, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that we didn't impress you on your visit. Any time you order something here that you feel isn't top notch, please be sure to bring it to our attention and we'll gladly fix it for you. I never want our customers to leave still searching for a great spot to eat. I urge you to give us another opportunity to show you that we can be that nearby, romantic brunch spot for you and your husband. Thanks for your review, and I truly hope we'll hear from you again soon.

“Monte Fail Me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have been to Monte's a dozen times. This was the first time the dining experience was terrible. We had an outside table-waited a while for my $13 glass of wine. Ordered our entrees, Hamburger Royale (in name only) temperature medium and one Florentine quiche. We waited a long time for our food and this was after 1 pm. No one approached us during our wait. Quiche was OK, burger, was well accompanied with garnishes, was well done, not medium. The roasted tomatoes were ice cold and the Gruyere cheese was barely melted. The waiter did ask if I wanted it redone, but I said no given how long we had to wait the first time. Our first disappointment at Monte's.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Monte S, Owner at Cafe Monte, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
I'd like to personally apologize that we gave you the first disappointing experience with us. It's understandable that you didn't want to wait for us to bring you another burger, given your initial wait. I hope you'll keep your previous experiences with us in mind and give us the opportunity to prove to you that this instance is not what you can expect from us. Thank you for bringing your visit to my attention and I'm going to make sure we don't disappoint you again.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Last time to Cafe Monte”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

As a frequent diner for lunch, I purchased a groupon for dinner. My husband I went last night for dinner: outside seating was full and a few tables in the restaurant we taken, nothing over whelming. We decided to sit at the bar. The waiter was friendly but all of the other servers acted like they were just so overwhelmed - venting, huffing, etc. It was not that busy. No hostess at the front even though sign says, see hostess for patio seating.

Even though the special was all you can eat mussels, I opted for the half order. My husband ordered the beef and asparagus crepes and we split a house salad. The bread was good but really not sure if they really make it daily on site- as the waiter stated. First with the crepes, the demi-glaze was so salty, you could barely enjoy the beef and dont think about tasting the actual crepe - totally lost in the sea of sodium. Anyway, I was quite surprised when I tried to fork my first mussel -it was so very small, maybe just a fluke - nope, they were all so tiny (size of 2 peas at most), I did not even know mussels were cultivated that small. I have eaten mussels for years and never in my life seen 10 mussels so small - you couldnt even use the tiny seafood fork provided. For the same price as the half order at Cafe Monte, there are SEVERAL other restaurants in Charlotte who offer more mussels than you can eat at one sitting and some by sharing with a friend! I wish the server would have asked how my dinner was...but he didn't so "no depth to the "broth" for the mussels, a few chunks of tomatoes and shriveled up teeny mussels are not worth it!"

Hind site for the last 2 lunches, they have gotten my order wrong (by they time they came back to see if everything okay with the order, it had been 10 minutes....too long to wait on a lunch break! Service is VERY slow at lunch so dont expect to be in and out in an hour.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Monte S, Owner at Cafe Monte, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I'm very sorry to hear that we disappointed you. This is not what I like to hear. I'll certainly be addressing the staff on proper decorum in front of customers. You should never see them huffing or hear them venting. I'm also disappointed to hear that your server didn't check up on you so that you could report your displeasure with the mussels. That's unacceptable and will be addressed. I truly hope you won't give up on us, as I'm going to see to it that we provide a better future experiences for you. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and please accept my apologies.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very good, but, and they did the right thing.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Went there for the first time. Great atmosphere, nice amount of room at the table and just the right amount of noise to make conversation possible without straining or shouting. The food tasted very good with good flavor profiles. I had the mussels and frits and my wife had the trout amandine. The one problem was with the mussels. They were very small and small in number. I have had appetizers with more mussels and their small size made them easy to overcook (rubbery). The cream sauce they came in was very good. The number of them really was a little ridiculous. At the end of the meal the waitperson asked how everything was and I told her my thoughts on the mussel dish. She was polite thanked me for my input and when she came back with the bill the manager had taken the mussel meal off our check.

We will definitely be back to this restaurant but it will be awhile before I wade into their mussels again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Monte S, Owner at Cafe Monte, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for coming to see us, and I truly appreciate you sharing your experience. This is the kind of service that I expect from my staff, and I'm happy to hear that you were pleased with the way this situation was handled. Your feedback on the mussels is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you back again soon. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review for us!