“Wonderful beds, horrible service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Charlotte Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Charlotte Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Charlotte Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   555 South McDowell Street, Charlotte, NC 28204 (Formerly Adams Mark Hotel) (Second Ward)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #110 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
Syracuse, New York
“Wonderful beds, horrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Arriving at the Shereton was awesome, my friend and I were greeted by the front desk Wayne. He was smiling and gave us some great places to go. Apparently they are under some construciton so there is a lot of noise and busy elevators. The pool was closed one day and no one actually knew when is was going to be opened again. Room service took over an hour to get a salad and cheese platter. One day I sat at the bar, it was around 1pm but there was only one server. After giving me water she left for 15 minutes and I never saw her again so I left.
The worst part was the shuttle service. I am here for medical reasons and I need to be at my appointments in the morning. I was aware of the free shuttle from 6am-9pm and made sure my appointments were around the time of the shuttle. I guess the shuttle only works on weekdays so they offered me the town car, after driving the whole 1.2 miles away he charged me $15. So the next day I made sure to get the shuttle. The driver drove me and was very kind. My next appointment was at the same time and at the same place. I go to the same driver and he informs me that he can't take me because he only goes "uptown" and he did me a favor. He would "lose business because of traffic."
I go to the front desk and she was very nice and called me a cab (after offering me the over priced town car) I informed her what was going on and she said she would have the manager call me. I never recived that phone call.

Overall the staff was very friendly and some what helpful but I wouldn't reccomend staying here. The food and beverages are over priced, they charge $10 a day for wifi and there is a lot of construstion going on.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the city are beautiful
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Candler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The staff was ALL about customer service. They are some of the nicest people I have encountered. This goes from maintenance and housekeeping to management.
The hotel is in the process of renovations but they are heading in the right direction.
The location is a little off the beaten path but you can still walk to downtown without too much trouble. I logged a few miles during my stay and was able to enjoy the Panthers stadium and some museums.
I would stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Yvette B, Director of Front Office Operations at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago

Warm regards,

Greenville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Room 11119 Note: My husband would've given this hotel a lower review rating, he thinks I'm generous. Two Elevators were out of order but being worked on. Hallways are not AC so hot. King size room (preferred customer) was small and bathroom was small. No refrigerator in rooms, but they did have a hairdryer in the bathroom. Ice, drinks, snack room available. Outlets on desk are hard to find, but are on the edge of desk. Television worked fine. Air Temp was adjustable and good until around midnight, but it got hot after that until around 6am (woke up sweating at night). Beds are comfy and rooms clean though. Heard sirens all night (not hotel fault) but we were on the 11th floor, Our room was not finished (mirror against wall, unmounted), Shower has 1/2 plexiglass so the floor gets wet and had quite a step up to get into, slippery. Pool area nice, Exercise room OK and in progress. Note in room says "Don't have room service 1 day for your stay and get $5.00 off food" Damn, the one great thing about this place was the staff, very friendly, helpful and wanting you to have the best of everything that they can offer. The owners should capitalize on the service, it's the one thing about this hotel that makes it worth while. Food is expensive, $20.00 for breakfast in dining room (they did not have a buffet, just a menu) with tax and tip, but par for the course with a hotel with a restaurant. Most hotels in the area have a complimentary breakfast, but not this one. Did give water and lemonade in lobby. Rooms could use updating (pictures old and worn in rooms, new lobby drab grey and could use some color). Conference rooms were extremely cold. May be worth it to look around. My husband's conference was at this hotel and we didn't stay inside the room too much. Went out with our kids in the evenings. Charlotte is a great city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not look over the road I guess because you will be up all night with the so...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. I would love to have an opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. Can you please contact me at 704.626.3649 or through email at yvette.bullock@sheratoncharlottehotel.com. I look forward to connecting with you soon. Have an awesome day!

Best regards,

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel itself is (or soon will be) two hotels. The Sheraton and the Le Meridian both of which were once the Brooke.

I stayed in what will be the LeMeridian tower and the rooms have all been completely redone and are very nice.

Check in was flawless with attentive front desk staff and a beautifully inviting lobby.

My only complaint was breakfast. Seating was fast, but the attention from the staff after taking your order was lax.

There seemed to be no "zones" and servers were working the entire room. I ran out of coffee three times with long waits before anyone came by to ask if I wanted a refill.

My tipping starts at 20% but it is difficult to justify this when the service is lacking. On the flip side if that, I cannot take it out in the server if the F and B manager has decided this is the way it should work.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is my first review on Trip Advisor because I often write detailed reviews and send them directly to the place that I stayed or ate. After spending more time on the site it seems like more people hopefully will benefit if I post here. So here you go....

Was traveling for work and booked a room due to a conference being held (3 nights 4 days). When you first walk into the lobby they decor is VERY modern. While modern does not always have to be cold this decor did seem cold. The lobby is spacious but it can be confusing at times because it there does not seem like much natural flow based on the lay out. The front desk can be confused with the computer stations so you have to pay attention. That being said when the front desk staff are not with customers they are standing out in front greeting guest and making themselves available.

The first day I checked in I got off to a bit of a rough start. I was placed on a SPG "floor" but of course got two queen beds instead of a King. But hey those are the breaks sometimes. The part that was annoying was that I was not told there was two towers nor was I told that the Starwood Club was in the other tower. So after I got settled I took off for some refreshments and could not find the club. I should have look online but I headed to the lobby, thats when I was told there was another tower where the club is on the 14th floor. While this is not a big deal it would have been nice to have had all this explained at check-in. Also for me I like to through on some sweats and head to the club for coffee in the morning before getting ready if time permits. Having to travel down the tower cross the lobby and go up the tower is not ideal. You can also cross on the second floor but to avoid the lobby if you wish.

Made it over to the club and had a very nice experience. Food in clubs is always a crap shoot but I jut wanted a snack and something to drink and that was provided. The butler Wade was very personable and began talking and making everyone feel at home. Some people may not like that and want to be left alone and I am sure he would if that was the desire of customer but it was refreshing to have someone be engaging. I would stop by the each night and Wade was always a joy and knew how to make you feel like a valued customer.

My time at the bar was mixed. Again the decor with the layout made it seem very cold and awkward. It was not a cozy place at all. I was not a huge fan of the food I tried the Salmon, Steak salad, Shrimp w/grits and Trout. The menu in my opinion is overly complicated and I notice other people struggling with it and asking a lot of questions. The service was mixed. I always sat at the bar so never got the restaurant staff but it was clear some of the bar tenders where pretty green and most not super familiar with the menu. Also it didn't take much for them to be overwhelmed. They were not helped by the system often there was two bartenders covering the bar plus all the bar tables. You were not really sure if you should go up to the bar and order or wait for someone. The restaurant staff never waited on tables in the bar even though they did not seem as busy at times. That being said I found all of them friendly and courteous. Taylor was the best bartender and the only one who looked like she had command of things even when not getting much help.

Overall the stay was uneventful and nice, pretty much what you expect when away on business. What makes this hotel is that the staff are very friendly and courteous. No matter where where you engage them they always inquire about how you are doing, how is your stay and is there anything they can do for you. I suspect many if not all the issues I had on this trip were as a result of this being a new Sheraton which use to be The Blake a boutique hotel. According to some of the staff they are going to split the hotel into two one tower being a Sheraton and one being a Le Meridien. So that tells me things are still in flux. Hopefully my list below helps you if you choose to stay.

Strengths

Staff Staff Staff (Love that they get from behind desk) Friendly Courteous Warm.
Coffee Bar location (Every morning it was waiting for me and said hello)
Beds are comfortable
Club experience / (Food and service was excellent even if location is a bit inconvenient if staying in higher tower.

Weaknesses

Decor, bad modern cold
Bathroom small and hard to navigate with door placement
Food was average
Bar Staff

Issues

Sink is terrible won't drain properly
No convenient outlets in room
Room service not prompt order wrong but staff was friendly
I had a dirty vent in my shower
Construction - Gym pool etc. (minor)
False Fire Alarms
Rough start with service bar/restaurant first night but they handled it well and turned it into a strength
Driver approached me outside and was quite pushy was not sure if he was with hotel or not. Found out later they contract with a car service. Could be more clear.
Room service was average and screwed up my order one night.
Cleaning staff was inconstant on leaving soap etc. Each day was different and the last day I got nothing.
Modern light switches in rooms barely move and are a pain. No idea why those were chosen.

Food I Tasted
Steak salad - Steak nice, lettuce and dressing terrible
Salmon - OK
Shrimp n grits tasty shrimp was great very large, grits terrible. Presentation bad.
Trout (was best overall but the trout lobster ham orange sauce was a combination you don't expect. Took a few bites to get use to but I have to say it worked.

Notable Staff (The people who really made my stay)
Front Desk Director - Arthur
Club Butler - Wade
Services Director - Chris
Bartender - Taylor

Room Tip: If you are a Starwood Preferred member stay in the smaller towner if possible for more convenient ac...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback and your awesome comments in reference to the staff. Your feedback is such a valuable part of our success and we are so appreciative that you've shared it with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to make our hotel your very first review. have an awesome day!

Best regards,

Director of Front Office Operations
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First time in Charlotte and decided to stay at this hotel because of the low corporate rate as compared to other Starwood properties. The hotel is old however nicely renovated. The renovations in the lobby look good and my room was nicely decorated as well. The doors on my floor however do not sit flush to the ground so at times it was annoying hearing the elevator and people walking by. My room was right off the elevators. Furthermore, only two elevators service the hotel so you may be waiting several minutes to go up or down.

Didn't eat at the restaurant but bought a glass of wine. The bar scene seems active which is nice and the hotel offers seats in the front of the hotel. You can drink and sit outside which is a nice feature. Hotel staff were courteous.

Overall a nice hotel but a bit of a walk to the city center.

Warm regards,

Director of Front Office Operations
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First let me say the hotel was clean and decorated nice. Did not like the shower. Small bathroom . Desk clerk did not let me know they did not give discount for AARP only found out when I was checking out. This hotel is average. They do not offer any thing such as free continental breakfast or free coffee. I realize this is business but I will not stay at a Sheraton again. Cost to much for no more than they offer.

Doris J.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Charlotte Hotel? Share your experiences!