“Completely awful and horrible!!!! DON"T STAY!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #119 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Toronto, Canada
“Completely awful and horrible!!!! DON"T STAY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Let's see. The guy Cody I believe his name is, was great. He took care of me. The 2nd shift girl was great. The night audit girl was alright. The manager, Anita Shaw though is the worst manager I've encountered. She was inept because she didn't seem to know how to do a simple reversal on a charge that should not have been charged to me. Watch this property. They have hidden charges! The room was dated. The bathroom stank of smoke even though it was supposed to be a non-smoking room.

The walls filthy. My socks turned black from walking on the carpet. The breakfast area could be left to desire. I cringed in the stairwell. It appears they sweep the dirt into the corner and ignore it. And the breakfast area was not as nice as other Microtels and I am very familiar with the property. But the final straw was Anita Shaw. My mother was unimpressed as well and she was the reason I selected that property. I chose it for the reason that my Mom had stayed at the property a few years back. Obviously, it was in better shape then.

If you stay at this property... pay cash only so that if they do tack on those mythical charges they have no choice but to suck it up. Do not use a credit or debit. If you can avoid holding the room on the card, do not use it. They have an ATM in their lobby. I've been in customer service for over 20 years.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time. There are better and newer Wyndham properties in Charlotte.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
microtelairport, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
I want to apologize for your experience at our hotel, and let you know that we deeply care about our guest and we want you to have a pleasent stay. All staff and management are currently going through training, for customer service and our computer programs, so we can provide better service to our guest. I understand you had some issues with your room. We try our best to keep up with the housekeeping and maintenence of every room, but sometimes little things may get past us, but we like for our guest to let us know about situations such as yours, unfortunatly we dont walk around in our socks so sometimes we are unaware of how dirty a room is, now we shampoo are carpets once a month and walls are cleaned daily. I wish you would have given us a chance to correct those issues, we would have moved your room right away and made sure the rest of your stay was comfortable, but we were unaware until after the fact. Please consider giving us another try and management will make sure your stay is the best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We did a "park and fly" and found it to be a very positive experience! The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable, and a very helpful shuttle driver. Not having to drive to the airport, and having to deal with all the hassle was so wonderful! We would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate all of your support and we thank you for choosing our hotel to serve your lodging needs. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I staded here for the DNC and i was very impressed. The front dest agent was great ( Cody ) and was very professional. We stayed 4 nights and were really please. the rooms were clean and looked good. i will come back next time i come to Charlotte.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I want to let you know how much we greatly appreciated the patience and support from you during your stay at that time, we know things were really busy that week and we tried our best to make sure everyone had a wonderful stay and it makes us overjoyed to know that you had a great time. Codee is one of our best clerks and we are glad you got to meet her, hopefully you get to see her and the rest of our great staff next time you are in our area.
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My travel agent made a reservation at this hotel for me when I was stuck in Charlotte, NC for the night of September 5, 2012. The desk clerk quoted her $99 plus taxes. I agreed and caught their shuttle over to the property. I signed an agreement for the above price and received a copy of it upon departure.

The hotel manager (Nita Shah) charged my credit card an additional $92.32 a couple of days later claiming that the clerk misquoted the rate and that they had raised their rates because it was during the Democratic National Convention. She refused to reverse the charge in spite of the fact that I had a firm quote from the hotel, a receipt from the hotel and documentation from my travel agent.

In my opinion, this manager demonstrated poor judgment and a profound lack of maturity with this decision. She didn't even have the courtesy of calling me to advise me of the mistake. She arbitrarily charged my credit card and told me there was nothing she would do to reverse it.

I have filed a dispute with my bank, a complaint with Microtel Corporate and a second complaint with Wyndham Corporate (owns Microtel.)

For the record, the clerk who checked me in was delightful and the young man who took my call when I called, was terrific. It's a nice property but this manager has no business accumen.

Room Tip: Don't get hosed by Nita Shah!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
I want to start by saying Im sorry you were not informed about the extra charges on your bill, our goal is to make you understand why and how we charge you and it seems as if you were not aware of some things, let me try and explain it to you. When you had the airport agent call for a quote she was given the rate for distressed passengers at that time, and that rate was only for airport guest, when you arrived you tried to cancel a reservation you previously made at our sister property, the other hotel then called us and let us know the situation and they were going to charge you the room because you were outside of the cancellation time, but we told them we would take the reservation at the rate they had for you, and they would not charge you as a no-show, in doing this we had to charge you extra, Im sorry about the way it was done, but also we saved you money because had we not done it that way you would have been paying for two seperate rooms, instead of the one. I appreciate you for choosing us to serve your lodging needs and our staff will be getting re trained with your situation so we can assure this will not happen again.
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband literally said he wanted to sleep in the car. The location was the reason we stayed here- 5 minutes from airport. The room was clean... But the walls are very thin. The doors do not deal to thr floor. We could literally smell cigarette smoke from the room next to us. We could hear everything going on in the hall and room next to us. The room smelled like Lysol spray and mildew. The other hotel guests were scary and my husband did not want me walking down to get coffee by myself. Not worth the cheap price of $60 we paid on hotels.com. Next time I will pay more and go someplace else!!!

• Stayed September 2012
I want to apologize to you for the bad time you had at our property and let you know that we strive to make each persons stay feel as if they were at a home away from home, and we dont want anyone to feel unsafe, we have police patrol very often in this area and we do not have bad things happen to our guest. Im sorry for the noise in your room, our staff can only handle a problem if we know about it and it bothers us when our guest dont let us know until check out. Please consider giving us another try on your next visit to the area and I will personally make sure your stay is outstanding.
Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I booked at this hotel, and had to cancel at the last minute. Even though I agreed to pay the one night penalty to cancel, they REFUSED, saying that only their customer service could cancel a reservation. They then put me on hold to customer service, I waited 30 minutes and hung up and called the hotel back and asked for a,supervisor, none available, back to customer service, another fifteen minutes and I hung up. Finally I called hotels.com and tried,to cancel through them, they called the hotel and were put on hold an additional fifteen minutes waiting for a manager who turned out not to be there. If it takes them an hour and a half to cancel a,reservation, I can only imagine how awful their hotel must be, I think I dodged a bullet not staying there. I would avoid at all costs.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I want to start by letting you know how sorry I am about the level of customer service you received from our staff, we take complaints such as yours very seriously and we strive to make our staff better, you should know all of our staff participated in our retraining program and we can assure you this wont happen again. Also when you book through hotels.com when it comes through our system we ca not make any changes to it and that includes cancellation, Im sorry you were not told this over the phone.
IAH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I booked park & fly package and it was a great value. The hotel was clean and comfortable.
I parked my car at this hotel for one week and was little worried about safety because of too many people hanging around the parking lot but I didn't have any issue.
Rooms were clean & comfortable, very close to the airport, decent continental breakfast, free shuttle to the airport that runs every 30 mins (it takes 10-15 min to the airport), free WiFi and free parking for up to 15 days with one night stay (park & fly package). Everything is for just about $65, so I have no complaints. Parking would alone cost me $40+ at an airport parking lot.
Charlotte airport is not that big or busy when compare to other major airports so no need to leave very early. Staff friendliness varies depending on whom you talk to.
I would definitely stay here if I have to fly out of Charlotte airport and also recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
microtelairport, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
We are so happy your visit with us was good and we look forward to serving your lodging needs in the near future.

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Charlotte Airport? Share your experiences!