“Nothing special” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre

You added Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre to your Saves list
Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 East Trade Street, Charlotte, NC 28202 (Second Ward)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #89 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

I stayed here Valentine's day weekend and I could have found something better such as the Westin more appealing. The walls of this hotel are pretty thin, so you can here people in the next room or hallway. There were lots of couples there during valentine's weekend and the elevator situation is pathetic. You have to get on two elevators before you can get to the lobby. Parking was another issue. Valet parking was not complementary but rather $20/night. The only thing I liked was the bar and the lobby area, pretty trendy. The bar does fix a good Mohito!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

The location was great and the staff were pleasant but as everyone else mentioned, the heating/cooling system was deafening. If you can sleep with white noise, I finally figured out turning the switch to "on" rather than "auto" at least made the noise constant instead of having it suddenly switching on and off. It is designed to be "industrial chic"- concrete floors in lobby, sparce decor in the rooms, just a piece of cloth over a shelf instead of a closet or dresser, etc. If Ikea made a hotel, it would probably look just like this. It had it's own kind of charm I guess but personally, I prefer something a little cozier.

I left something behind in the room when I checked out and of course, this was my own fault but I did call them immediately to alert them and ask if someone could go check the room. It took me calling and speaking to 4 people to get someone to go check. By the time someone got back to me it was gone as someone else had checked into the room already. Overall it wasn't terrible but I wouldn't return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
champ5656
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Despite reading earlier reviews entitled "awake at aloft" and "exhausted", I booked a reservation at Aloft for Presidents Day weekend. I can sleep though a lot of noise so I thought for sure, this won't be an issue for me. I should have listened! Sleep would be hard to achieve for even the soundest sleeper at Aloft!!!

They really need to figure out a sound proofing solution. You can hear all the noise from the nightclub below and every little detail from the rooms next door. The heating/cooling system is just as other reviewers have described. It runs with a very loud fan that blasts on intermittently even though you set it to Off. On top of all that, we listened to a screeching alarm and PA announcement at midnight telling us to evacuate the hotel using the stairs. According to the front desk, a sprinkler went off in the basement and the entire EpiCentre was asked to evacuate. By the time we got back to our rooms it was almost 1am and at that point, I was so annoyed that sleeping over the noise was the last thing on my mind!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

This interesting hotel is part of a new commercial complex in an excellent downtown location. It would probably be a cool place to stay for a concert or basketball game at the new arena. There are some excellent features and amenities at the hotel, too.
However, I do NOT recommend this hotel for business travel. If you want a good night's sleep, look elsewhere. I stayed two nights, and spent both nights fighting with the climate control. There was nothing loose or broken, it was simply the loudest hotel AC unit I have ever heard. It was in the 30s outside, but the room was comfortable, so all I wanted was to be able to turn the unit off. Even if you set the control to 'off,' it would still turn on intermittently - so perfectly ill-timed that every time you manage to relax and almost get to sleep, VRROOMM!...you feel like you are in the garbage compactor from Star Wars and about have a heart attack.
Also, there is very little space for hanging clothes and, other than the bed or an awful desk chair, there is nowhere to just sit and watch TV (with closed captioning, of course).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

This hotel is brand new opening around January 9th.

The location is great and is right across from the Bobcats arena. There is an up and coming bar scene right outside the hotel that was very busy and very fun. It is very close to the older strip of bars as well.

The staff was extremely pleasant and always willing to help out. They even called our room just to see how things were and make sure the ARF package (dog bed, treats, etc) was delivered!

The rooms were very spacious and had a beautiful large flat panel LG TV. There was also a refrigerator in the room. The bathroom and shower were fine although the bathroom door doesn't quite close like a normal door which could be an issue for some people (didn't bother me!). The bed was a little hard but that is just a preference thing!

The hotel offers free Wi-Fi, although it was not working properly while we were there.

There is a bar, pool table, and lounge in the lobby of the hotel and was actually quite a popular hang out at night!

There is also a food area where you can purchase snacks, drinks, sandwiches, salads, and more 24 hours a day! There is a microwave in this area as well which we utilized very much (we brought frozen meals with us since we were traveling on a budget!).

The pool is pretty small and there aren't many chairs around it but it seems good for a quick dip or just a relaxing swim.

The gym is gorgeous and spacious for a hotel gym! The machines are all brand new and there are 2 or 3 treadmills, 2 elipticals, 2 bikes, freeweights, ab balls, and plenty of mats.

I have nothing but positive things to say about my stay here. The price was right as was everything else! Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Rock Hill, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

My husband and I were going to a play at Ovens and we decided to make the night a special occasion. So we got a hotel room and had dinner at the Mez. We liked the decor but we thought they went too far with the minimalist idea. My husband is the type of traveler that likes to unpack at a hotel. Well he went to do that and found there wasn't a dresser. There were plenty of "cubbies" to put your clothes in but everything was still out in the open. We were only there for one night and it wasn't a big problem. But if we were there for a couple of days my husband's unmentionables would have been exposed. I agree with the other two reviewers that the air conditioner was a nightmare. We tried turning off the unit from the control panel on the wall and on the unit itself and it didn't work. I'm wondering if the wall panel worked at all. I was very close to unplugging the thing but eventually fell asleep. Our phone beeped at us a couple of times in the middle of the night. We couldn't figure out what the deal was with that. Also, we didn't like that one light switch controlled the sink area and the bedroom. If we were with a family I could imagine that would be a problem either waking up someone sleeping or trying to take your contacts out in the dark. Also, my husband and I are use to having things like ice machines in the hotel. We had to ask someone at the desk for ice and she had to get it for us. The employees were friendly but they were unfamiliar with the hotels current promotions. When we booked our room on their website we were to get a $20 credit to use towards their snack counter and a free in room movie. It took a little while to get checked out for them to figure out how to process everything. Overall the issues were more of an annoyance than anything but there were so many of them that we won't be going back.

• Liked — The Shampoo and Body Wash Dispensers in the shower and the bowl sink.
  • Disliked — Too much to list
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

My family and I stayed at the new "aloft" hotel Jan 16th-17 and I am delusional from lack of sleep. The previous reviewer is correct. The heat/air system sounds like a passenger jet accelerating down the runway when it kicks on. Additionally, the walls must be completely uninsulated and you can hear the conversations of people walking down the hall, even when they are talking in normal voices, not to mention the inebriated patrons after 10pm! Some of this may relate to a large gap at the bottom of the door(see pic). I would also add that street noise was clearly audible and we were 14 floors up.

Yes, The entrance is on College St, not Trade. Realize the lobby is 5 floors up. Also the hotel does not have its own valet. You must use the epicenter valet service and its $20 per day

However I want to mention that the staff were absolutely awesome. I like the overall concept. The rooms had a very interesting layout. The beds were comfortable. The new epicenter is truly the "new epicenter" which includes multiple restaurants and a fabulous movie theater. This should have been a great experience and I want to like this hotel but I'm just too exhausted!

• Liked — Location, hotel concept and staff
  • Disliked — THE NOISE!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre? Share your experiences!