“Bait & Switch!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre

You added Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre to your Saves list
Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 East Trade Street, Charlotte, NC 28202 (Second Ward)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #90 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Bait & Switch!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have stayed at the ALOFT before and had a pleasant experience. I was more than excited to see it available at a good rate for a date we were visiting next month. Went through the online booking process and when I arrived at the end it said the reservation system was being updated and it could not take my reservation to call or try again. When I re-entered the dates of stay - the price jumped by $90 higher!!! I called and spoke to a representative who told me that there were only 2 rooms available for that date and I needed 2 rooms so the price jumped. WHAT?! She put me on hold to check to see if there were any other discounts she could give me and ended up disconnecting me after being on hold for 3 minutes. I called back and spoke with Tonya - who was also of no help and while she understood that I was upset - there was nothing she could do. BAIT and SWITCH!!! BOO ALOFT CHARLOTTE UPTOWN!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
LindseyVDK, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Hi Tiffani0409,

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We're sorry to hear about the pricing issue you experienced when making your reservation. We do extend certain rates in limited quantities, and depending on the timing of when someone is booking, there's a slight chance someone else may beat them to the last rooms available at that price. While this is a rare occurrence, it sounds like that may have been what happened in your case and would like to apologize as we understand that this would have been very frustrating to you.

Please know it was not our intention to be misleading, and again we apologize for the issue and frustration it caused.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had A great stat at Aloft at the Epicentre with our great 15TH Floor view of the city and the EPICENTRE. The staff were NICE and the plkace was very cool. i would recomend this for ANY COUPLES OR SINGLE PEOPLE THAT PLAN ON PARTYING AND CRASHING. WE had a BlasT.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LindseyVDK, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hi Dollboy,

Thanks for choosing Aloft on your recent trip to Charlotte. We're happy you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff welcoming and location convenient. Come see us again soon!
okc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Staff is incompetent. Messed up reservations from the beginning! Disappointing hotel, and starwoods points program is a joke. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else! You will be sorry you stayed here!

Room Tip: Don't stay at any starwoods.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello rvollmann,

We're sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your recent stay including the trouble with your reservation and our preferred guest program.

As a Starwood property we value our guests and reward their loyalty through our Starwood Preferred Guest program. Service is a priority for us, so once again we are sorry you were dissatisfied with your stay and our loyalty program.
Chrismartin76
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had a very comfortable stay here. As others mentioned, the only drawback is that the elevators can be a bit slow. Moreover there are two elevators. One gets you from the street level to the hotel lobby, and the next gets you from the lobby to your room. However, this is a minor nuisance.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have a good view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

If i was by myself the room should have been ok, but i was with my husband.
I reserved a King room. Thru Expedia.
When we got to the Hotel, the front desk confirmed my reservation, so what a surprise we got, no king bed. 2 queen beds, and a handicapped room.
My husband very disappointed with the room, wanted to change rooms but the guy in the front desk wasn't very helpful at all, he said that pretty much first come served. So what is the point of making a room selection reservation?
Ah we didn't arrive late just around 6 pm. So this kid said ah the check in is at 3pm. My point on this is they didnt care abouth the customer.
Besides that they wanted to charge me $25.00 instead of $20.00 for valet parking.
And on my reservation said $20.00 and also on the phone message.
If they have show me more interest on us, i would have paid the $25. But not i complaint on that.
So dont ever expect to get your room of choice in this Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I visited Charlotte for a wedding over the weekend. The location was great, with the hotel sitting literally by everything in the Epicenter. Bars and restaurants galore. Even a movie theatre and bowling alley! Not much shopping though. Walking, you can pretty get to any restaurant downtown or museum in a matter of minutes. You can not beat the location.

The hotel lobby sits on the 5th floor which is weird to take an elevator from the street and then another elevator to your room. Oh well they can't help that. Other complaint if any would be the valet are pretty useless. They are affiliated with the Epicenter so I felt they could care less about hotel guests. I understand the Aloft brand normally doesn't have valet but maybe they should recommend a better parking option than these valets.

Last but not least, I wanted to speak on my favorite experience I got from Aloft Epicenter. That is the fabulous desk agent Yvonne! She was great. From the check in experience, she welcomed me instantly and she never missed a chance to welcome me back during my stay. She was able to get me into a room early and give me 2 beds since I had friends with me for the wedding. I knew she didn't have to, but she made me feel like family. Yvonne also knew alot about the area and fun things to do and gave me passes for me and my friends for some of the bars.

Aloft is a limited service brand with no bellman, concierge, room service, etc. So I think it speaks volumes when a staff member goes far above and beyond. I cant say thank you enough to Yvonne who made my stay truly memorable!

• Stayed June 2013
LindseyVDK, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hi 214bz,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this detailed feedback with us, and our future guests. We're glad you enjoyed our stay and our convenient EpiCentre location.

We're so happy to hear that Yvonne exceeded your expectations and made your stay so memorable! We'll be sure to congratulate her on a job well done - thanks for letting us know!
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Made reservation to stay at Aloft Uptown. Worked late and arrived at hotel and was told we oversold the property and do not have a room for you. Why do you overbook a hotel? Poor business practice. You have my profile, do you think to call/email me before I arrive at hotel? Maybe direct me to another hotel you have chosen to save time.

Room Tip: Call to make sure you have a room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi N M,

We are very sorry about the situation you experienced and imagine how frustrating this must have been. Overbooking is not our standard practice and we will look into this further to insure this is avoided in the future. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this caused you.

Been to Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre? Share your experiences!