“One of the finest Inns in the South, outstanding reputation, excellent cuisine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Morehead Inn

and 1 more site!
You added The Morehead Inn to your Saves list
The Morehead Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1122 East Morehead Street, Charlotte, NC 28204 (Dilworth)   |
Ranked #45 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I rarely fill out reviews, but I feel compelled to tell you about this charming southern historic gem right in the middle of a metropolitan city. I have traveled extensively and stayed in B&B's several times before, but this one takes the cake. It's like stepping into a real 'old south' romance novel---but with a flat panel tv in the room. It's incredibly clean, great staff, wonderful antiques, and the food is outstanding. I have never slept so well when traveling as I did at the Morehead Inn. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Slidell, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Our stay here was very very nice! This was our first Bed and Breakfast and we loved it. My wife would write more than me on this but we had A great time here. Thank You

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
savannah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

All was going well until the pustules appeared all over my torso!! They were painful and itchy not to mention disgusting!!! To make matters worse, the "manager" said they did not have bedbugs. My doc and the images of my back do not concur.

Business Traveler Beware! Spend your money on a non-infested bed and where but here...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Beautiful rooms, great people, but the rooms in the carriage house have walls of paper. I heard every word the people in the adjoining room said, and they were just having a normal conversation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

English country house meets urban Southern charm in this elegant, early 20th-century mansion on a gracious boulevard in Charlotte's historic Dilworth neighborhood.
Bigger (with eight rooms in the principal building plus four in the carriage house and one additional 'veranda room') and more polished than the average American B and B, the Morehead Inn nevertheless has a warm and relaxed ambience. Though the entire house is furnished in antiques, and the decor is authentic to the style of the house and the period, there's no sense of 'Look, but Don't Touch.' This is the real deal, sensitively appointed and comfortable-- the flowers are genuine, there is no pretentious fakery or froufrou anywhere.

The bedrooms are named after streets in the neighborhood. They vary a fair amount in size and price, from cozy (the Arosa, the Dilworth, the Berkeley) to spectacular (the Euclid, the Cleveland, and the splendid Solarium suite on the first floor.)
The public rooms in the house are lovely, too--- airy, elegant, and big enough for large ceremonial occasions, such as weddings and receptions. Check out my photos for ample evidence of this fact.

The neighborhood itself is a great place to walk in and explore, by the way. I try to do an hour-long power walk during each of my visits to the inn, and I'm always charmed by the turn of the century bungalows and larger houses that comprise the Dilworth area.

On the one hand, my experience with the Morehead Inn is atypical---sad and stressful family matters have taken me to Charlotte often over the past four years. On the other hand, my repeated visits to the Inn means that I know it well. I've stayed in most of the rooms. I've eaten its delicious, gourmet breakfasts, and I've been treated with respectful kindness by everyone on this well-run inn's staff, without exception.

To welcome sincerely, to be attentive without being intrusive, to offer a place of beauty and comfort for guests, this is true hospitality--- and it's what the Morehead Inn is all about.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed at the Morehead Inn for four nights, and my husband and I both agree that despite a few bumps, this inn was completely charming and lovely. We will definitely stay again in the future.

Pros:
1. Lovely, friendly staff who works to please their guests. Due to some unforeseen events, we required some accommodations and Linda made sure that we were able to get what we needed.
2. Breakfast- you choose one of three options every day. There was a larger group which made special requests almost every day and Linda and her staff went out of their way to accommodate them (buying special drinks, condiments, etc.). They never got flustered.
3. Beautiful setting- the house and the surrounding neighborhood is beautiful, safe, and interesting (restaurant recommendations by the Inn were great). Easy to park on the premises. Close to downtown, museums, and other sightseeing areas. Lots of shops/supermarkets in the area, too.
4. Clean bathrooms- though the home is old and historic, the bathrooms were updated and well kept.
5. Free wi-fi- no problems with connection whatsoever.

Cons: nothing that would prevent us from staying again, but just so you know...
1. The rooms could use a bit of updating. Nothing major, but things like slightly dirty vents, worn chairs, slightly dusty furniture, worn pull strings for lamps and fans.
2. The Morehead folder stated that daily turndown service included chocolates and books. Neither of these ever materialized. However, turndown did include closing curtains/blinds, turning on lamps, and a weather card.
3. We happened to visit during a cold spell, and needed to use the space heater every night. The rooms were pretty cold (and we are from the Northeast), and we didn't have any other way to control the temperature.

We stayed in the Mt Vernon which we liked a lot (had a working fireplace). We also stayed in the Solarium for one night (not by our choice, but it was too late to change for the first night), which was less desirable for us. If you like wicker, the Solarium is for you. The tiled floor in the sitting room needed to be cleaned.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

We were completely taken with The Morehead Inn - it is an exceptionally beautiful house. Each guest room is well appointed and comfortable - we stayed in the Romney Room, one of the lower priced, and it was lovely with its own sitting room. Breakfast in the main dining room was wonderful. This is such an elegant house and the staff is exceptional. We would stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Morehead Inn? Share your experiences!