“Italian experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maggiano's Little Italy

Maggiano's Little Italy
4400 Sharon Road, Charlotte, NC 28211 (Barclay Downs)
704-916-2300
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 1,968 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Barclay Downs
Transit: CATS transit bus stop within mall property within 100 yards of the restaurant.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Italian experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Spent 5 weeks in North Carolina recently,and ate twice in maggiano's restaurant in Charlotte..it is without doubt the best Italian type eatery that I have eaten in.a chicken soup starter followed by lobster carbonara were both excellent. The place itself is very busy and you may have a short wait to be seated. ,but its well worth the wait.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Matthews, North Carolina
“Sangria super good.... food food... GREAT outside seating area, but watch your to-go items”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love to eat alfresco and when we chose to eat at Maggiano's on a night where rain was expected between the hours of 6-8:30, I cringed, but we remembered the wonderful outside seating. There are two options... one is the section in the front with tables and umbrellas, but the side area is large, and fully covered with options to roll down the plastic sides, as well as turn on heaters when it gets chilly. Well we needed neither this night, and the dining was wonderful.

We ordered a glass of Sangria each and it really was great! Most Sangria's are not as good, but, I was thrilled that this one was so good. I had to make myself NOT get a second glass.

Bread in a basket with olive oil arrived at our table and we wanted to avoid it, but chose to splurge and indulge (and it was good). We asked for some Balsamic Vinegar and our waiter brought us some and poured it right onto the plate of oil. We added some Cayenne and were set!

We chose not to order an appetizer, but instead - to order a salad each (yummy choice).

There were SO many good choices on the menu and it was hard to choose. My husband ordered the Calamari (which he loves from here), and I chose a lighter pasta (one from the "Choose one and take one home" - or whatever they call that option). While I love Eggplant Parmesan, I wanted a lighter meal and we chose the Eggplant for the take home item to split later.

The Bowtie Aglio (Farfalle pasta with broccolini, fresh spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and grated parmesan) was good… light, but the waiter brought over a jar of parmesan that (I am thinking) was probably fresh graded, but it sure did not seem like it. I REALLY like fresh Parmesan and prefer it to truly be fresh (I even do this at home). The only other drawback was that there was hardly any spinach in the dish and the meal fed me more than twice! If I order this again, I will most definitely order it with MORE spinach!

So… for dinner tonight (2 days later) I decided to open the eggplant… I was disappointed to find out it was not eggplant, rather it was lasagna…. So… my advice is to check your to-go food before you leave and don’t make the mistake I did.

I hope that this was helpful… Let me know if it was. THANKS!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Consistent, tasty Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I am always a little skeptical of franchise restaurants, but Maggiano's has been very consistent at all of their locations I have visited across the country. The chicken caprese salad was beautifully dressed and super tasty. The bruschetta was piled high with toppings and the tomatoes were the best I have had in a very long time.

One recommendation is to share all the dishes unless you can eat massive amounts of food. After the two appetizers, we were full and shared a dessert. Sometimes it is fine to take leftovers home but when you are travelling, that is not feasible. It was so good we went to the Atlanta store in Buckhead the next week.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good food and great atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Visited with a friend. We sat in the bar which is beautiful. It is always my first choice to sit there. The service was friendly, fast and efficient. The chocolate Martinis are the best. The food is consistently good. We will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rock Hill
“Good italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Good pasta and wine. Ok - but not great salad. Wonderful selection of mini desserts. Good service. Hard to have a conversation as the place is pretty noisy.

Visited May 2013