“Fairly good deal, but too old school” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #41 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
south carolina
“Fairly good deal, but too old school”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I stayed at this motel because I needed somewhere for one night, close to uptown, and inexpensive. It was average but I was hoping for a little more. I have noticed in the past few years that some of the sleep inns I've stayed at in the Charlotte area could use some updating. This one definitely fell in that category. There was no fitness center and the pool was extremely small (indoor). The computer was absolutely archaic and didn't work. They claimed it had been knocked out by a recent storm but it looked like it hadn't been used in quite some months and maybe even a year. There was no info in the room pertaining to TV stations or any area info that would be helpful to visitors unfamiliar with Charlotte. The breakfast was meager but what was there was fresh. The pocket door to the bathroom did not close all the way but since I was traveling alone I did not request any maintenance or to be moved. TV stations were somewhat limited for a motel offering cable. As for points in their favor the room and linens were clean and neat and the staff was polite but not overly helpful or friendly unless they were pushed for assistance. Really needs updating though.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Stayed here with my cousin for CIAA weekend because most hotels were booked and it was reasonably priced. The rooms are small and the bathroom is even smaller. The room doesn't haven't much privacy if there are multiple people staying there. The bathroom has a sliding door and it only has a toilet and a shower, there is no bathtub. The sink is in the room right outside the bathroom which was a inconvience. Another issue was every day we stayed there we had to get our room keys reactivated because they kept being deactivated for some reason which the staff couldn't provide us with. That was one of the biggest inconveniences because everytime you try to get back in your room the key wouldn't work. The continental breakfast could be better and the breakfast area is very small. One of the amenities is free internet but the computer seemed to always be not working when we stayed there. Also we had to constantly request room service to come clean our room due to the fact we were not out early in the am when the cleaning staff worked which is between 8-10am and we used the do not disturb sign and had to ask several times for clean towels, cups, etc. The pros of this hotel is it has easy access to the highway and its located near several restaurants and gas stations and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed at this hotel last month and would definitely stay here again. For the price, it was worth it. The rooms were clean and the service was good. Easily assessible to the highway.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Blacksburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

I stayed here with my toddler for one night. We were given a handicapped room, even though we did not request it. The bathroom was spacious and had the toilet, tub, and sink all in one place. The bed was comfortable, and bedding was clean. Breakfast is simple: bread, muffins, make-your-own oatmeal and grits packets, juice, coffee. There is a Jack-in-the-Box and Waffle House in adjacent parking lots. Room was fairly quiet. We could hear people passing by in the hall but could barely make out a screaming kid in the room next door, who managed to keep it up for an hour. Very good value for $45/night. No complaints for this price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Palm City, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

This place is off I-77 at the Sunset Rd/exit 16 just north of I-85. Days in wanted $49 and looked scummy, even lobby smelled. Both Microtel and Sleep Inn are located behind Jack in Box and Waffle House. Microtel was $54 or $49 w/AAA or $47 w/coupon from green coupon book at rightside entrance into Denny's across the street(Sunset). (Make sure you get the North Carolina book, not the South Carolina one!) Sleep Inn was $59 walk-in, and $54 w/coupon, had indoor cooridors, indoor pool, and the lobby and rooms are nice and new. Sink was outside toilet/shower door which bothered wife when shaving, but ok with me personally. Coffee maker and small fridge in room, free wireless internet with multiple online connections hotspots, free breakfast was typical continental: coffee or decaf or tea, milk, juice, pastries, Frosted flakes, Raisan Bran, oatmeal, grits, hard boiled eggs, apples, oranges (front desk gentleman (about 54 years old) even got me 2 bananas when I mentioned how my wife has one with coffee every morning - and did it without me asking!). Rooms were clean, modern, granite sink area, clean comfortable beds and pillows, good AC. Microtel looked nice too, but pool as outside and cold, hallways outside, helpful staff though. Haven't seen pool yet, no time, but heard others using it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Kolkata
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Good hotel but no food,No means of transpotation near by. Car is a must if you are staying here. Room was good and size also decent.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilmington, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

Myself, my husband and our 2 year old stayed here after a one day business visit to Charlotte. We had planned to drive home, but were tired at the end of the day and decided to stay overnight at the last minute.

We grabbed one of those coupon books and tried a few other places, all over which were booked. We tried this place (called) and found that they had room. We were given the coupon book rate of $59.95 for a Monday night. Funny, when we got there, we saw this huge hotel and realized that we were the ONLY guests- a little spooky! We never saw anyone else other than 2 staff members our entire stay.

They have changed the name now to "Sunset Inn" by the way; maybe it's under new management.

Basically, the place is alright. Definitely nothing to write home about. The front desk man, an Irish man, was very friendly and helpful. He gave us extra pillows, suggested restaurants, and tried to be as accommodating as possible. The room was very basic- there is no door to the bathroom, so make sure you're not sharing it with anyone you aren't comfy with. The sink did not drain well, which kind of grosses me out. The carpet was worn looking but the room seemed clean. I still took precautions and wiped it down with sanitizing wipes, mainly because I have a 2 year old. We ordered pizza and ate it in the bed because there was no table in the room.

The elevator smelt like urine the first night- the next morning it smelled better. The swimming pool was very small and not too appealing (it did kind of look like an oversized bathtub). We decided not to get in, but this was because it smelled strongly of chlorine (that's a good thing), and we had already checked out of our room. It did look clean, though.

The continental breakfast sucked, to be blunt. There was no-name brand frosted flakes and raisin bran and they tasted cheap. My son loves muffins but handed these back to us after taking a few bites! The milk also tasted weird, so I didn't drink it. We ended up going to Waffle House.

They lock the hotel doors at night, the hostess said. I'm not sure if that made me feel better or worse.....Also, there's a sign in the parking lot that says the guest assumes all risk when parking in the parking lot. Hmmmm....we were sure to take out all our valuables and we parked in front of a light close to the entrance.

Finally, I woke up in the night to use the bathroom and after turning on the light, noticed a little spider running across the pillow where my son's head was laying. It wasn't a big spider (it really was teeny-tiny, like a pinhead), but I guess the thought of there being one in the bed is kind of unnerving.

The bed was very comfy, though. The Irish man said they had just ordered in all new mattresses and he said they were Sertas.

To sum it up, I guess for $59.95 it isn't too bad. If you just want a cheap place that is fairly clean to lay your head at night, this will do. It didn't feel too unsafe (I've definitely seen worse), and at least the staff was pleasant. I don't think I would return, though. Actually, I couldn't wait to leave! It was just something kind of depressing about this place!

• Liked — The rate.
  • Disliked — A depressing feeling about the place....
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sleep Inn North Lake? Share your experiences!