“Ambiance wonderful, food great, proprietoress very accomadating” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #40 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
A TripAdvisor Member
“Ambiance wonderful, food great, proprietoress very accomadating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2006

We have been visiting with Beverly for many years now and have always felt at home at the Inn. She has been great in scheduling our breakfasts to our days activities etc. This July she had several vegetarians there when we were visiting...no problem! We always recommend the Banner Elk Inn to our friends because we can be certain that they will be treated to an "at home" time or "privacy only" time, all you need do is ask. Certainly the Banner Elk Inn will always be our "home" whenever we attend the Highland Games in the mountains of North Carolina!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

I chose this hotel because it was advertised as "NEW" and "CLEAN". It was really neither. The pool had a green algae growth in it and the water surface had a greasy film floating on top; needless to say I didnt use it. I mentioned it to the young guy working the desk in the evening and he was totally disinterested in my report and only replied "Well, I aint the one who cleans it". He was never at the desk but always lounged across two chairs in the visitors TV area with his head buried in the TV and the sound blasting away. I have never met a more slack and rude host at any hotel in my life as this young man was. I inquired about area restaurants and he said he didnt really know because he lived in Concord and "only worked here". NOT friendly, NOT helpful and NOT interested in customers at all. The room was ok but needed dusting badly. The shelves were dusty and the light fixtures had cobwebs hanging from them. The TV remote did not work and neither did the hair dryer. The carpet was damp and musty. I would not recommend this hotel as you can get a better deal with more amenities for less money a short drive away. There are no good restaurants nearby and the staff doesnt know where any are either. I was very disappointed. It was misrepresented for sure. I am a building inspector and if the place were in my control area I would have closed the pool for unsanitary conditions. It looked unhealthy to me and people were still using it. Overall it was not worth $63.00 per night and was a bad experience.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
Niagara Falls
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2005

We stayed at the Sleep Inn in December 2004 on our way to Florida and on the way back. I chose this hotel because it had an INDOOR POOL. I thought it would be good for my kids to have an activity to do in the hotel as a break from our long drive south. When we got there we found that the heater in the pool was broken. My son decided he would go in anyway and was blue in the face by the time the water was up to his knees. They told us that the heater would be fixed when we returned a week later {I had already booked for the return trip}. Upon our return the pool was still 74F and we were told the heater is always broken!! So DONT stay here if you are wanting a pool. Even if it was warm, it was the smallest pool I have ever seen in a horrible little concrete room.
On a side note: We had a non smoking room but they allow smoking on the non smoking floors so you could smell it, even in our room.

• Stayed December 2004
White Lake, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2004

Stayed 1 night passing through in September 2003...if you are passing through and need a place to rest this is as good a place as any and cheap (40-45 w/ advance booking).... comfortable and clean but the pool is indoors and tiny....

• Stayed September 2003, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn North Lake? Share your experiences!