“Nice Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel was very nice for the money. The room was very well equipped and nice. The hallways were a little smelly, but the rooms were not. They could have used some vending machines for late night snackers. Overall, very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

saramcmill, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hello and thank you for your response!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us back in August and I apologize in my delay in responding back to you. We appreciate any and all feedback and take it very seriously. We do not have vending machines because we have the Candlewood Cupboard which is our on-site convenient store that is on an Honors System. We would love to have you stay with us in the future! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Sara Gomez
Candlewood Suites-Charlotte University
sara.gomez@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I preface this by saying, the employee on duty was flying solo for the first time, after a month of training. She was handling every challenge being thrown at her with a smile. I also want to say I am a "Road Warrior" - (Holiday Inn Gold Member), and have seen a lot of adversity in hotel management. This was handled as good as anyone could have expected.

8PM - Saturday - 7/28/12 - The start of this employees shift!

I feel the management and ownership of this property should have taken a closer look at the capacity of this hotel and scheduled more than just 1 employee to be on duty. This was not fair to the employee or the guests.

There were rooms which could have been rented that were not cleaned.
There were patrons asking for supplies which weren't available (pillows/ iron/ towels were just coming out of a dryer).
The retail Pantry was wiped out, and 90+% out of stock. (This happens to be the business I am in, so I take notice of the condition of the Pantrys.)
Garbage cans at the entrance were overflowing with garbage.
Guests were saying their carpets were soaked with water runover from their A/C unit.
The 3 computers at one point had to be rebooted which took the employee off-line until she was able to contact the manager via telephone for the passwords.

The location manager handled the situations via phone. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have gone in myself, or called someone to go in and assist. It appeared whomever worked the 1st shift handed off a hotel that was not ready for the night shift person!

As it worked out, after waiting nearly 3 hrs. for a room, it was determined the hotel was oversold. To the credit of the management of this location, they sent us up the street to another IHG property, which was just fine.

I am sorry to be so critical, as I booked this hotel based on all the "Good" comments left by other patrons. I am sure this was just a bad moment which can be overcome with a little more oversight by ownership and management.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
saramcmill, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Hello and thank you very much for your honest feedback! As the Director of Sales for this property, I take all reviews, good or bad, very seriously.

As an extended stay hotel, we do typically staff just one person per shift. We also have majority long term business that stays with us, yet do still publish nightly rates hence the high occupancy for last Saturday. I am extremely pleased to hear how our front desk agent handled all that was thrown at her and will be working much more closely with operations and housekeeping to ensure that on nights similar to this one, we are much more prepared.

I would love to have you come back and give us another shot on us. If you are returning to the area, please give me a call directly to book your room.

Candlewood Suites-Charlotte University
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Honestly, we were amazed that we were able to stay in such a great room, with a great location, at such a low rate. Our room was beautiful, ultra clean, and so quiet.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this review, July 3, 2012

Warfordsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The hotel was easy to find. Staff was super friendly and welcoming. Room was clean and very spacious, lots of storage space and loved being able to cook some meals in the kitchen to save some money. Room was the quietess I have ever stayed in. My only issue was that I did have a reservation in advance that clearly stated 3 people and the bathroom was only stocked with towels and washcloths for 2 people and the sofa bed did not have a pillow or blanket; only a fitted sheet and flat sheet that I found in the closet. Staff was quick about supplying the proper items though. The Candlewood Cupboard left something to be desired, very few items availble so I would suggest bringing your own food and snacks. With that said, I would definately stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review!

We sincerely appreciate your business and if you ever return to the Charlotte area we would love to have you back. In regards to the linen and towel shortage, all of our rooms are running a little low because they are getting ready to upgrade all of our products this month, therefore ordering of the current towels and sheets has not been possible! I apologize for this, but am happy the staff took care of you!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Hotel is nice and newley renivated and is near everything you would need. Prices are very good and staff is kind and accomidating. I highly recomend the hotel to anyone that is staying long periods and wish to cook in the hotel rather than go and eat. The hotel is very clean.

Room Tip: Ask for top floors because we could hear the people upstairs alot of times just moving around.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Like most reviewers mention the hotel is clean. The staff were friendly. The location has it pluses and minuses. It is close to the university if that is where you are trying to go. It is right off Harris Blvd so there are plenty of shops and restaurants around. If you are female traveling alone it can feel a little isolated and dark when you return to the property at night. I always returned before 11pm and the sign says someone will be at the front desk until 11pm but no one ever was there. Also if you return in the evening (I can't say exactly what time this happens) you cannot get in the second entry door (there are two doors before you enter the lobby) without your room key. So it is good to have it handy before you get out of your car. I rated sleep quality lower because the refrigerator in the room was loud and made noises all night. Of course I always had the option to say something or request a new room so I didn't rate it too low.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
saramcmill, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your review! I am glad to hear the staff treated you well. As the Director of Sales of this property, I feel customer service is the most important aspect of a great stay!

Regarding the staffing hours, we actually have someone on property 24/7. If there was no one physically at the front desk, there is a good chance they were assisting another guest. I do want you to know that our guests always will be able to reach the on-site attendant by dialing zero from their room phone or lobby phone. We do lock all doors for security reasons as dark so that no one without a key is able to access the hotel. If you do however get locked out, or need to check in after dark, you are able to access the first part of the lobby and call for the attendant.

We would love to have you come back and stay with us, so please feel free to reach out to me if you are ever back in the Charlotte area!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Great renovation! Lots of electrical outlets for recharging computers/ phones Great shower head and water pressure. And clean.

• Stayed May 2012
saramcmill, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this review, June 4, 2012

sara.mcmillan@ihg.com

Been to Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University? Share your experiences!