“Good to be back home.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place

You added Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place to your Saves list
Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 W WT Harris Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28262 (Mineral Springs)   |
Ranked #20 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Sanford, NC
“Good to be back home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had opportunity to return to the Drury Inn, University Place, Charlotte. The rooms were well kept, clean, smelled nice. Everything worked!. Had some other travelers with us. All of us had good reaction to hotel. Noise level bearable, even though there were a lot of young people in the building, due to track meets, motorcross, etc. Hotel was full. Breakfast was good as always. Manager checked with us several times to insure satisfaction. Will be back again, when traveling to Charlotte for overnighter. Spring special was welcome, as it saved us all some $$.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Hotel has been newly remodeled & is very nice. Bed was really comfortable. Free breakfast was very tasty. Also fabulous appetizers & free drinks during "happy hour"! Exceptionally friendly staff as well. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Taylors
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Whenever there is any issue--small or large--management (Doug, Florence) and the desk workers (Amy, others) bend over backwards to fix it and make me want to come back. I stay here every month for Navy Reserve drill and have never had any issue that was not resolved beyond my expectations.

I am disappointed about recent renovations. I really liked the exposed brick and now it is gone. Nice soft paintings have been replaced with photos of circles and squares. More modern, I guess.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stop at Drury Inns on a regular basis and had not been to this one. We made the stop in a very slow time locally since the hotel is close to the university and the time was between Christmas and New Years when most students are gone. The room was very clean with excellent beds, more than adequate bathroom facilities, and good wifi access. The food served at the 5:30 "kickback" was plentiful but dry, stale, and generally unappetizing. Having stopped at many other Drury Inns, this was certainly uncharacteristic. The breakfast the next morning was a bit better but both of the waffle-making machines were having trouble and had to be continuously serviced by the attendant. We were not able to get a waffle that morning. The furniture in the room was old and quite worn and one of the floor lamps was extremely wobbly and had several loose components.

We spoke with the manager the next morning, mentioning our room number. He indicated that this hotel would be undergoing a major room upgrade just after the turn of the the year. He also said that he had just hired a new assistant manager, in charge of the afternoon and evening hotel functions and would talk to him regarding my food comments.

We would not hesitate to stay at this, or any other Drury Inn, in the future since, in our experience, the hotel chain operates in a very quality way and caters to its customers quite well.

Room Tip: Be careful when reserving a room since another Drury Inn is less than five miles away. The other ho...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I do recall speaking with you regarding your concerns for the food quality and the general condition of the hotel. I apologize again for not exceeding your expectations. I did follow up with the employee team to be extra diligent with our presentation, quality and equipment as or food offerings are a vital amenity that we offer.

Our renovation is underway and the new rooms look wonderful. We anticipate being completed with all the rooms toward the end of March. I do look forward to your return so that you can let us know what you think.

Again, I am very sorry that your stay was not up to our or Drury's standards and we hope to see you soon.

Thank you!
Doug U., General Manager
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Friendly staff, comfortable and clean rooms, good food. What else should I ask for? I stayed there for 6 weeks while I took a course at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and I sure intend to go back there as a tourist.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
minneapolis mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is my first stay at the Drury chain, as I am from the Midwest and the Drury is not there yet. If the Drury Inns are as nice as my first time at this location, I will def consider Drury properties for future travel needs. My flight came in early: 10 am, but thought I would see if my room was ready. I was greeted by the great customer service of Amy, who had a room ready for me and even a top floor request I had made. I was visiting my daughter in Charlotte, and Amy gave her a guest pass to join me for the fabulous 5 pm "KickStarter" event at the hotel every night: great free munchies and two free drinks. So nice of her so I could spend more time with my daughter. The free breakfast was generous, hot, delicious, and staff kept it well-supplied. Free wifi worked fast in the room, too. Very clean hotel, no insects came back with me. Comfy bed. Quiet room. I liked the free lobby popcorn and free sodas to go with in the evening. This property was more home-like and personal touches and I felt like a guest in someone's home. The property pays attention to details, and the counter staff were even washing lobby door windows. The on-duty manager stops by each guest during the great breakfast asking how we are enjoying our stay: see, just like a host at home. I am a Hilton Honors club member, but decided to stay at the Drury in Charlotte and made a wise choice: i really liked the personal touch of the Drury. I needed a car to rent, and I found that at the Hilton across the way. This Drury property is going to all non-smoking in the next few months; I am a non-smoker and was glad to hear. My non-smoking requested room did not smell of smoke at all. I will be returning to this hotel when I visit my daughter. Hard to improve on perfection!

Room Tip: Top floor quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cary, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I decided the Drury after seeing the good reviews it received. What a mistake. Our adventure started when I called the hotel for directions. I knew that we were close to the hotel but could not see it because it was night. The person at the hotel told us to take two left turns to get to the hotel. This didn't sound right to me so I asked her to repeat the directions. After following the directions, my wife and I realized that they were wrong. We backtracked and found the hotel. It was across the street and to the right from where I had called the hotel!

When we arrived at the hotel, the parking lot made us nervous. Security cameras and warning signs everywhere. When we entered the hotel, we complained to the receptionist about the directions given to us. She made a half-hearted apology but then tried to defend the directions given to us, which were totally incorrect. The lobby of he hotel was very small and dark.

We then went to our room through a maze of weird narrow hallways. I had reserved and oversized suite. The living room and bedroom were nice size but the bathroom was ridiculously small. The rooms were cold so i adjusted the temperature on the old-fashioned dial thermostat to 75. The living room never got warm. The free wi-fi was a joke. The signal was so weak that every time I walked with my iPad from the living room to the bedroom I lost the signal. My wife could not even get connected with her computer in the bedroom. When she called the front desk to ask if she was doing something wrong when trying to connect, she was told to take her computer to the lobby to get a connection.

My wife and I went to the lobby to see what was being offered for the nightly free food and wine. The food was slop food. We both got a glass of wine which we threw out before finishing. It was real cheap stuff that gave us both headaches. We then went our to eat elsewhere.

Later in the evening I went down to the lobby for the free soda and popcorn. No soda. The popcorn bags were all gone, so someone went to get more. i took one look at the popcorn, which looked real old, and decided to pass on it.

My wife and I got no sleep at night between the couple below us yelling and cursing at each other all night and the uncomfortable bed. Luckily we were only staying one night.

The next day when i went to shower, I was surprised to see the there were no bottles of shampoo, conditioner or skin lotion, just dispensers of cheap shampoo and conditioner in the shower. My wife thankfully brought skin cream.

We left the hotel as soon as we could. I think that we could have had a better stay at the local prison.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton University Place.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I truly apologize that your recent stay with us was not at all what you expected. We value honest feedback as it allows us to continuously monitor our services. I am sorry that you were not pleased with your stay. You had listed several concerns regarding your stay and we obviously have failed to meet your expectations. We are planning to have all new bedding with our renovation which is slated for the first part of 2014. During this renovation, our guestrooms, hallways and lobby will be receiving a new fresh look. Our WIFI connectivity is also slated to be a part of this property renovation. The islands leading into the parking lot are also scheduled to be removed in the next couple of months as we do not utilize the gates anymore. Thank you for your feedback regarding the evening Kickback as we are always looking for guest comments regarding our food. We will address your complete experience with our team.

Additionally, I am sorry that we were not able to amend your frustrations while you were with us. It is our goal to correct situations while you are present. I would like to speak with you regarding your stay as we strive to be the best at what we do. If you would be so kind as to call the hotel and ask for me, that would be great.

Doug Uzelac

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place? Share your experiences!