You added Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr. to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr.
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 East McCullough Dr., Charlotte, NC 28262 (Formerly Studio Plus Charlotte/University Place)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #102 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Gainesville, Georgia
“UNBELIEVABLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

It's impossible to rate this hotel because I was denied access to it. I attempted to check in at 9:45PM on Saturday 8/24/13 with a prepaid reservation booked with Priceline and the lobby door was locked. An attendant stationed at the desk motioned for me to pick up the phone by the door to speak to her. She advised me to use my key to get inside. I told her that I was just now checking in. She then told me that she was doing an audit and she couldn't let me in. I inquired how long the audit would take and she told me 2 hours. When I told her this was unacceptable, her response was "You should have checked in earlier". I then asked for her supervisor and she stated that she was the only one there and I should go wait in my car until the audit was complete. UNBELIEVABLE! I was 16 hours into my day and all I wanted was my room, a hot shower, and a bed to sleep in. There were no safety issues here because if I had a key, I could have walked right in the door. I contacted both Priceline and Extended Stay corporate offices first thing on Monday morning and four days later I haven't heard back from either one of them. Lawrence, the customer service rep at Extended Stay guest services had a good chuckle when I explained what what had happened. He did offer an apology for the chuckle. Too little, to late! So, travelers beware. If you have a reservation with Extended Stay America, call before checking in to make sure they aren't doing an audit!

Room Tip: Better to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr., responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide us with your feedback about your stay at our hotel. I would like to start by sincerely apologizing for the level of customer service you received. The comments made by our front desk staff member were unacceptable and is not the standard for our hotel. We are a 24/7 business; however, there are close of day items that happen during audit but that typically take 20-30 minutes and unfortunately may disrupt the check-in process. Steps have been taken and coaching has occurred to correct the communication and customer service provided to our guest going forward. Once again I hope you can accept my apology for this unfortunate situation.

I hope you will give our hotel and company a chance to prove that your unsatisfactory experience was an exception. Again, thank you for your feedback. If I can be of assistance to you, please contact me directly at (704) 510-0108.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I did an early check out because i could't stand being there anymore. I was supposed to stay for 12 days but checked out on the 5th day. The manager was very rude at all times and unprofessional. I had to bring my dirty towels to the front desk to get clean towels. I had to go to the front desk to get toilet paper. The A/C had a very loud noice that wouldn't let me sleep. The conforter was itchy and the pillows were really old. The pool was closed for days and when opened there was a dead frog in it. The day I checked out the increased my rate to the regular daily rate and the manager screamed at me because I asked if I was going to get any refund on my pets deposit. By the way I ended up paying $344 for my two little dogs in 5 days. I felt very unconfortable in this place.

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr., responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. I apologize that our housekeeping policy was not explained to you during check-in. While we do offer weekly housekeeping, guests have the opportunity to refresh their linens and towels at the front desk at any time. It is disheartening to know that this did not meet your expectations. As far as our pet policy is concerned, I truly am sorry that we were unable to refund your deposit as it is non-refundable. In addition, we do sometimes have to close the pool because of lightning storm. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused; unfortunately, we have had a particularly heavy storm season.

Again, thank you for your feedback and if I can be of assistance to you, please contact me directly at (704) 510-0108. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Reno, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Facility is very clean and staff accommodating to the highest degree. We had car trouble and had to stay extra days and we're thankful we were is such a friendly and helpful Hotel. I cannot say enough good words about our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr., responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels and for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. We value your opinion so we can continue to improve the service we offer. It was a great pleasure for me to read the comments you submitted.

One of the greatest rewards of my job is receiving encouraging feedback such as yours. Our staff takes pride in creating a memorable, exceptional “home away from home” for our guests. Hearing that we have accomplished that goal means that we have delivered you the value and experience you expect and deserve.
Thank you again for your positive comments. I have shared them with our entire team as well as our Senior Management. We look forward to hosting you once again at Extended Stay Hotels.
If I can be of further assistance to you, please contact me directly at unp@extendedstay.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've stayed in a few hotels here on North Tryon, this one is better than Microtel!! I liked the kitchenette and the coming and going as I pleased without anyone bothering me. It was convenient to the whatever or wherever I needed to go. This place is for someone needing a week or two, not longer. It serves its purpose. I wasn't prepared for NO housekeeping at all, bringing your dirty linens to the front desk to be swapped out for clean ones, no screens in the window and a big HUGE spider that camped out on its web on my window every night, and no elevator. They have a large population of people living here do to different circumstances, at least they went to work and came back after five. No rowdiness and no real security issues! Everyone I came in contact with was very pleasant and the staff is very pleasant and helpful. I would recommend this place and stay here again. If it had an elevator, screens in the window and maybe housekeeping every 3 days I would give it five stars! This is a place just to sleep and have a convenient pool, nothing else.

Room Tip: The third floor seems to be the nicer floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr., responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time give us a review of your stay. We apologize that our housekeeping services were not thoroughly explained during check-in and that our room was not up to standard. We are currently working to improve and your feedback helps us to better our service for our guest and prevent issues from being repeated in the future. Thank for taking the time to tell us about your stay . We hope that you will give us the opportunity to be a serve to you in the future.
Maysville, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had two rooms - nice size, good beds, kitchen was stocked with cookware, utensils and dinner ware. The rooms were clean and the layout was spacious. The breakfast consists of coffee, packaged muffins, breakfast bars and fruit - the coffee was good and the grab and go breakfast was handy. The laundry room has several washers and dryers that work well and travel sized packs of laundry supplies are available. The pool was clean and refreshing and the staff was diligent about watching the weather for the safety of their guests; if threatening weather was imminent, they closed the pool quickly (and they were just as quick to reopen it when bad weather passed). The staff is absolutely the best we've encountered and we stay in hotels for business A LOT. Friendly, helpful and accommodating in every way. My only complaints were the following: 1) The tenants in the room above us sounded like a football team and the creaking in the floor from their movements were LOUD. 2) The smell in BOTH rooms was unpleasant and that's being nice. I used a bottle of Febreeze, 2 cans of air freshener and a can of Lysol and still couldn't get the smell out of our room. Leaving the window open only made the room hot and the smell worse. The smell in our boys' room across the hall was bad, but not as bad as ours; however, we couldn't get it to go away either. Were it not for the smell, I would gladly give this location 5 out of 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you're able to stay on the top floor, DO SO. We were on the first floor and had a football te...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr., responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels and for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. We value your opinion so we can continue to improve the service we offer! It was a great pleasure for me to read the comments you submitted. One of the greatest rewards of my job is receiving encouraging feedback such as yours. Our staff is committed to providing a 'Home away from Home'. Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of their surroundings and how noise travels. Staying on the first floor, one hears everything in the building - for that we are sorry! With regard to the smell, cooking odors do tend to linger and from time to time they are stubborn. We have taken your comments to heart and will treat them with the urgency they deserve. Again, thank you for staying with us - we will hope to see you again.
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here for almost 2 months on business. The first month wasn't too bad, except for exactly what the previous reviewer said : "excessive creaking in floor from overhead room. Loud. Not just footsteps, but floor that needs repaired with new screws put in subfloor"....this was so annoying!!! The first night I heard it, I could not sleep!!!
Then, month 2 rolls around. Cockroaches. You read right. I did not expect this reading previous reviews. And these are not little ones either. FULL GROWN COCKROACHES. I cannot stand bugs and could barely sleep. I would recommend this place for a week or less stay but no longer than that. Best part was the friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr., responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide us with your feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am very sorry for the level of cleanliness in your room and that you were disturbed by noises throughout the night. In response to your comments, I am working with our housekeeping staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. Still, I am very glad that our staff was so friendly to you during your visit.

Again, thank you for your feedback. If I can be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me directly at (704) 510-0108.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had a good experience after I got moved to a better room. My first room had excessive creaking in floor from overhead room. Loud. Not just footsteps, but floor that needs repaired with new screws put in subfloor. It had no lamp in living room. The overhead lights are new florescents and too white. The phone had no instructions and a voicemail light blinking. It had no hairdryer and no shampoo and that was not made clear on reservation. Furnishings had missing trim. One over head light was burned out. Curtain moving rod was off and leaning against floor. Stove was old. Burn in counter top not repaired.
After asking for a new room I was moved to third floor and found the room much better, newer looking, but still had trim on furniture missing.
There is no elevator.
It was very clean and the bathroom looked remodeled.
It looked like a hotel that had a facelift a few years ago, but that maintenance is not done well.
The staff was always courteous and helpful.
The breakfast is just what is says - coffee, juice, oatmeal, bars, muffins, oranges. This is not a place for those who like to eat breakfast, but for those who usually have coffee and a bar.
The price for the space with a kitchen was excellent, though.
It is like a Day's Inn quality, but if maintenance would be done and a better breakfast it would be like a Comfort Suite.

Room Tip: 3rd floor to avoid noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr.

Address: 123 East McCullough Dr., Charlotte, NC 28262 (Formerly Studio Plus Charlotte/University Place)
Location: United States > North Carolina > Charlotte
Ranked #102 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr. 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Extended Stay, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Charlotte - University Place - E. McCullough Dr., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.