“perfect if booked in advance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   895 W Trade St, Charlotte, NC 28202-1122 (Third Ward)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Breakfast Package!
Ranked #41 of 170 hotels in Charlotte
Newark, Delaware
“perfect if booked in advance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here just for a day before moving to days inn. it was very expensive for me because I booked very late. Doubletree is the perfect place for people who have come temporarily and work at trade street. Very clean and highly courteous staff. only demerit I would say is expensiveness.please book in advance to clear that.

• Stayed October 2012
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). We look forward to welcoming you back.

383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Having been a long time Hilton Honors member, I am increasingly bummed out by the diminished quality of alot of the brand's properties. This one is one of the nicer ones I've been to in quite a while. Haven't really explored around, but seems pretty convenient to downtown biz district and the staff is super friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay with us. So glad you were able to experience our authentic DoubleTree hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I have just arrived back in the UK from visiting Charlotte for a joint fire service training week with the CFD. A large group of us stayed at the hotel. From the moment we walked in we were made to feel welcome by the friendly staff. Lovely comfortable clean and spacious rooms. Food was great. This is only a short walk from the city centre which was useful for the evenings. Enjoyed every minute of my stay there.

• Stayed October 2012
Your comments about your stay with us made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable (along with our great location). We look forward to seeing you next year.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you want to walk off the inevitably big southern meal you will have with business colleagues uptown, this is a great choice. It is about five blocks away from the Trade and Tryon crossroads, and much, much quieter and cheaper.

It's an easy walk or the hotel will run you into the heart of uptown, or you can take the Gold Rush shuttle bus that comes every 15 minutes or so.

The rooms are quiet and comfy and I had a good look around for any issues flagged in some reviews, I have no complaints other than a sink stopper set to low and therefore slow to drain (room 521, Mr. Mgr).

There's a room safe (yay) and the beds are comfy. The sofa lounge thing in the corner is nice but not all that comfy to sit on. If you have Old Guy Back, avoid.

There's a Starbucks right across the street. I didn't try the bar or restaurant.

Room Tip: An easy walk into uptown ... looks far, but 10 minutes tops to get to heart of bank district
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Please know that our property engineer has taken care of the sink stopper, again thank you for bringing that to our attention. We hope to see you soon.
Santa Rosa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

NOISY!! No sleep due to loud cooling unit and all night street construction noise. Why pay $200 for a cookie? Staff was very unconcerned when I reported the sleepless night (almost like they are very used to hearing this complaint). Also, a hotel of this caliber should at least have complimentary coffee in the lobby. The pool was taped off with yellow construction tape, felt like I was in the ghetto. Im hoping this was just the Charlotte area Doubletree and that we can count on the better service and rooms we have experienced at other Doubletree properties.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
We’re very sorry for the noise issue you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Your comfort and safety is our number one concern, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention. Your review will help us correct similar issues in the future. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you endured, and we want you to know that we have addressed your comments with both front desk staff, and our maintenance team. We hope that the next time you’re in the area; you’ll consider staying with us again.
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The room was clean, the decor was great, the front desk was very friendly. I asked upon check-in "where do i park?"... I got to the parking garage and there was a sign that said "Enter hotel room key" We did that, and nothing happened. So we pressed the button to get a parking ticket, and went in. We had a brief but nice stay, we took a cab to a concert, and didn't drive again until after check out. We woke up, there was a note for instructions on quick check out, but just calling a number when we were ready to leave. I knew from the website that it was going to be $13 to park. I assumed we would pay that on the way out. I saw on my fast checkout slip that they went ahead and charged it to my card, without telling me. Then when we tried to leave, the ticket we had originally taken...registered as a $30 parking stay. SO, we called the front desk, they said "Oh, you need your key to get out." That would of been nice to know ahead of time. Not all hotels have parking garages, and not all work this way...(I know because I work in a hotel, where the parking is free, and every detail of parking is given to the guests at check in.) It would be nice to have a heads up on how it works, especially at such an expensive hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I were staying in this hotel after checking my daughter into her residence hall at Johnson and Wales University. Upon entering the lobby, everything was clean and staff was very friendly. Same with our 3rd floor room, everything was nice and clean. We planned to stay two nights, but decided a week earlier to only stay one night. When we woke up the next morning, and got out of bed, there was a HUGE cockroach crawling around. When I say huge, i'm guessing it was about 4 inches long. The antennae on it was probably as long as my index finger. My husband grew up in the country, and had never seen a cockroach or any bug that big before. We were completely freaked out, he as much as I, and Nothing fazes him. I tried to get the housekeeping girl to come in and look, but she was completely uninterested in what I was trying to tell her. Thank goodness we only stayed one night, because I would not have been able to sleep there that second night. I was hesitant about writing this because as I stated, everything in the hotel was really clean and we had no other complaints, other than no fan in the bathroom and the ac kicking on was very loud, enough to jar you awake through the night (inconveniences, but not bad enough to complain about). I also tried to contact the front desk manager and the general manager, since no manager was available when we checked out, and have not gotten responses from either of them. And since I depend on tripadvisor to guide me when I have to stay at hotels, I felt someone else may find this useful. It's right on the campus of my daughter's college, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay there again. Small bugs I can handle. Gi-normous cockroaches, not so much.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for the opportunity to communicate via email regarding your recent stay with us. As discussed, I regret your unpleasant experience and that our front office manager did not respond to you in a timely manner due to her absence. I have personally followed up on the issues you sited in your review and assure you that they have been thoroughly addressed. As discussed, when we experience heavy rain as we did the week leading up to your arrival, insects tend to try and find dryer conditions and apparently one found its way into your guestroom. Our pest control technician has inspected and treated the room and there was no evidence of current of previous infestation. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I look forward to meeting you during your next trip to Charlotte to visit your daughter. Thank you again for your understanding and for your patronage.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village? Share your experiences!