“"Worst stay of our Southern vacation"” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   895 W Trade St, Charlotte, NC 28202-1122 (Third Ward)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Spring Rates from $99!
Ranked #46 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Rosa, California
“"Worst stay of our Southern vacation"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

NOISY!! No sleep due to loud cooling unit and all night street construction noise. Why pay $200 for a cookie? Staff was very unconcerned when I reported the sleepless night (almost like they are very used to hearing this complaint). Also, a hotel of this caliber should at least have complimentary coffee in the lobby. The pool was taped off with yellow construction tape, felt like I was in the ghetto. Im hoping this was just the Charlotte area Doubletree and that we can count on the better service and rooms we have experienced at other Doubletree properties.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
We’re very sorry for the noise issue you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Your comfort and safety is our number one concern, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention. Your review will help us correct similar issues in the future. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you endured, and we want you to know that we have addressed your comments with both front desk staff, and our maintenance team. We hope that the next time you’re in the area; you’ll consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The room was clean, the decor was great, the front desk was very friendly. I asked upon check-in "where do i park?"... I got to the parking garage and there was a sign that said "Enter hotel room key" We did that, and nothing happened. So we pressed the button to get a parking ticket, and went in. We had a brief but nice stay, we took a cab to a concert, and didn't drive again until after check out. We woke up, there was a note for instructions on quick check out, but just calling a number when we were ready to leave. I knew from the website that it was going to be $13 to park. I assumed we would pay that on the way out. I saw on my fast checkout slip that they went ahead and charged it to my card, without telling me. Then when we tried to leave, the ticket we had originally taken...registered as a $30 parking stay. SO, we called the front desk, they said "Oh, you need your key to get out." That would of been nice to know ahead of time. Not all hotels have parking garages, and not all work this way...(I know because I work in a hotel, where the parking is free, and every detail of parking is given to the guests at check in.) It would be nice to have a heads up on how it works, especially at such an expensive hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I were staying in this hotel after checking my daughter into her residence hall at Johnson and Wales University. Upon entering the lobby, everything was clean and staff was very friendly. Same with our 3rd floor room, everything was nice and clean. We planned to stay two nights, but decided a week earlier to only stay one night. When we woke up the next morning, and got out of bed, there was a HUGE cockroach crawling around. When I say huge, i'm guessing it was about 4 inches long. The antennae on it was probably as long as my index finger. My husband grew up in the country, and had never seen a cockroach or any bug that big before. We were completely freaked out, he as much as I, and Nothing fazes him. I tried to get the housekeeping girl to come in and look, but she was completely uninterested in what I was trying to tell her. Thank goodness we only stayed one night, because I would not have been able to sleep there that second night. I was hesitant about writing this because as I stated, everything in the hotel was really clean and we had no other complaints, other than no fan in the bathroom and the ac kicking on was very loud, enough to jar you awake through the night (inconveniences, but not bad enough to complain about). I also tried to contact the front desk manager and the general manager, since no manager was available when we checked out, and have not gotten responses from either of them. And since I depend on tripadvisor to guide me when I have to stay at hotels, I felt someone else may find this useful. It's right on the campus of my daughter's college, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay there again. Small bugs I can handle. Gi-normous cockroaches, not so much.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for the opportunity to communicate via email regarding your recent stay with us. As discussed, I regret your unpleasant experience and that our front office manager did not respond to you in a timely manner due to her absence. I have personally followed up on the issues you sited in your review and assure you that they have been thoroughly addressed. As discussed, when we experience heavy rain as we did the week leading up to your arrival, insects tend to try and find dryer conditions and apparently one found its way into your guestroom. Our pest control technician has inspected and treated the room and there was no evidence of current of previous infestation. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I look forward to meeting you during your next trip to Charlotte to visit your daughter. Thank you again for your understanding and for your patronage.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

would stay there again in a heart beat. My wife is a hard person on cleanless of a place and she said that this was the cleaness hotel she ever stayed in . She came right in did her inspection and aked me what movie are we going to watch

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Your comments about your stay with us made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable (along with our great location). Hope to see you again soon,
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Fun and very clean city. We enjoyed our hotel. It was very close to the uptown area that had much to do and see. Everything was very beautiful for picture taking. We ate out and enjoyed the food. We were only there 2 times but enjoyed both times. We would stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you return in the near future. Safe travels.......
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is by far one of the nicest here in Charlotte, it has beautiful decor and the staff is very friendly. The warm cookies are a plus especially with the kids. I have not tried the breakfast buffet yet but I'm seriously hoping it is a plus as well. I would have given a five star rating but the fact that the room did not have a fridge or microwave was not pleasing to me, for this to be a more upscale establishment I would expect grade A aminities.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your wonderful photos and comments about your stay. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service (along with our delicious cookie at check in). We do hope to add refrigerators to all of our guestrooms in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here 5 nights in the beginning of June 2012. I had made a reservation a couple of months in advance, and since I am a Hilton Honors member (diamond), I assume that I received a hotel room according to my preferences (high floor, away from elevator). However, I am trying to work out a little more on my business trips, so I requested the bottom-most floor so as not to disturb anyone below me if I chose to work out to a DVD in my room (I brought my own DVD player since the hotel did not have one to rent). My co-workers were placed in high rooms with refridgerators; my new room did not have one. I know that I was the one who asked to be moved, but I just WISH that the desk employees would have informed me of the amenities available in the reserved room that would not be available in the new room. (Turns out, I didn't have time/make time to exercise anyway). Besides my new room not having a mini fridge, it came with the company of a handful of of spiders. EVERY morning (Mon through Friday) I got cozy with the spider or 2 in my shower. In addition to the spiders in my shower, I noticed a larger fat-bodied spider swoop down on his web about 2 feet from my eyes while I was trying to get to bed. My husband said I should have mentioned the spider issue to the hotel manager, and I agree that I should have. But I didn't. I guess I wasn't in the mood to have an exterminator come in to my room & then I would have to deal with those chemical smells. Plus, I am not a fan of killing spiders, so I just deal with them, but someone else may not be so keen on getting so close to these little guys. The room was nicely appointed but it felt a little "damp"--maybe there is a humidity problem? Also, i had a hard time adjusting the temperature control and at times wondered if it was actually working. The bed, as usual, was comfy, and besides the spider webs in the corners, the busy places of the room seemed clean (sink, counter, desk area). I had breakfast every morning and since I just stick to hard boiled eggs and the cold breakfast items, it was fine. My co-workers had the hot items - the scrambled eggs and sausage -- and they said it was "okay". The front desk employees were very friendly but I felt at times that the breakfast ladies were really concerned about whether or not you had that breakfast coupon before you got up to get your first lick of food. The area is a little sketchy a few blocks away. A co-worker and I walked to a nearby Walgreens/CVS type store and had I been by myself, I may have felt more vulnerable. We took a cab to a nearby Harris Teeter to grab snacks and had the cabbie wait outside for us; I think our total cab fare was about $25 for that short trip including the wait time, which I was OK with. All in all, this was a nice property and I am sure I would have been more comfortable had I kept my original reservation.I would probably stay here again for work -- on a different floor -- but I don't think I would stay here again just for fun.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
billdeloache, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
We apologize for the very unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is extremely important to us and we focus a great deal of our time and attention on them. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and correct any pest situation that might occur. I again apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. We have shared your comments with our team to ensure that the situation has been successfully addressed. Please fee free to contact me in the future should you need anything when in Charlotte.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Charlotte - Gateway Village? Share your experiences!