“great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

nice hotel, very good customer service with great amentities! the receptant, Anthony, did a very excellent job helping us with everything that we needed, we really appreciated his help and his hard work.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Steve C, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Sam,
Thank you very much for the kind words about my staff and especially Antony. I will be sure and share this with him.
I hope the next time your in town stop by and say hello.
Steve Cotton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Dunn, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I am always treated like one of the family at Charlotte-University Hampton Inn. From the General Manager, to the front desk and kitchen staff, and all other personnel all know me by name. I had not found this to be the case at other hotels I have stayed in the past. This speaks highly of the entire operation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mark,
Thank you very much for your kind words about everyone at my hotel. We do feel your apart of our family and thank you for staying with us.
I hope you have a great day.
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel was in an okay location - close enough to Panera and other restaurants where you can grab a bite to eat while on travel for business. The rooms felt incredibly dated and just did not feel clean to me. I didn't even want to use the shower. I hope this place gets an update soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Steve C, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Vbmegs,
I am sorry you did not have a great experience at our hotel. We are starting a full renovation at the end of the year. I would love to invite you back to the hotel and experience our new look next year.
Thank you very much for taking the time for your response.
If you have any questions please give me a call at 704-548-0905.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

All of the staff were very friendly and professional throughout our entire stay. The breakfast was a lot better than some other hotels. Bed was comfortable, room was clean and tidy (including the bathroom). The one issue I did have was it took a few tries to get the room key to work, but once I got the hang of it, it worked perfectly every time. We will definitely stay in this hotel again for our next trip to Charlotte.

Dear Rebecca W.
Thank you very much for the kind words about our hotel and staff. Your words mean so much to all of us at the hotel. The next time your at the hotel please stop by and say hello.
I hope you have a great week.
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Other than difficulty in getting to know how to use the room keys, the hotel was very good to excellent in a variety of ways. Perhaps the most important factor that made for a high rating of this hotel was the quality and friendliness of the staff from the time of arrival throughout the stay. This includes the staff at the registration desk, the manager on duty, the breakfast staff, security personnel, those who attend to the cleaning, and others. The hotel is about 20 years old, but very comfortable.

Room Tip: Book early and check on whether or not Hampton Inn recognizes the new "5th-night-free" pac...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear 5thnighter,
Thank you very much for the kind words about my hotel and staff. As you noted we are a older hotel and so we strive to excel in customer service.
i hope the next time your in town you will stop by and say hello.
Maricopa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel the weekend of the CIAA. The place was packed. The front desk was quickly and easily checking everyone in. All staff was friendly and helpful. We are both constant travellers for business and personal and very picky. The room was fresh and clean. The beds were comfortable. The heating unit was quite and with a full hotel (quite a few young people partying) we experienced a quite peaceful nights sleep.

Enjoyed there complimentary breakfast with a good selection. They even had sandwiches for vegetarians.

As far as negative reviews on key cards, this seems to be a common annoyance at many hotels. After a couple tries, we were able get the swipe right the first time.

Finally, centrally located, 13 mins from downtown Charlotte, many restaurants and a Waffle House with security a few minutes away if you venture in after 1 am.

I will be staying here again in the near future.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor, room 603.
Dear Linda W.,
Thank you very much for the kind words about the staff and hotel. That is our busiest weekend and I am glad we met your expectations.I apologize about the key situation and we are working on this issue.
Next year please stop by and say hello.
Clemson, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Poor service. The room keys did not work despite having them replaced numerous times. It would typically take 20-25 swipes for the room to unlock.

My friends vehicle broken into while parked at the hotel less 40 ft from the hotel lobby and had numerous personal items stolen.

The internet connection was horrible and would kick the user off of the connection every 5-7 minutes, consistently.

The bathroom venilation didn't work at all the first four days I was at the hotel. Instead of pulling odors out of the bathroom, it let cigarette smoke and other odors into the room. The room reaked of stale cigarette smoke.

The bathroom didn't have any towels or washcloths upon my arrival.

Several of my coworkers stayed at this hotel during the same week and had the same issues I did, so it wasn't relegated to just my experience.

I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Steve C, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Anonymous54178,
I am very sorry for your experience at my hotel.
I understand how frustrating it can be to struggle with your keys, we have corrected this issue. The internet I have called our internet provider to have them test our hotel for the connections. I will discuss the towel issue with my staff and make sure it doesn't happen again.
Thank you very much for your feedback and we will learn from your review.
I would like too remedy this situation with you, so please give me a call to discuss what I can do to make this up to you.
704-548-0905

Been to Hampton Inn University Place? Share your experiences!