“Started our college visit off right!” 4 of 5 stars

Save Up to 15%
Ranked #51 of 171 Hotels in Charlotte
Certificate of Excellence 2014
West Virginia
“Started our college visit off right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Friendly staff, clean room and so much more. The front desk clerk was so helpful, recommending a good restaurant (see my review of the best TGIF I have ever eaten in), The room was clean, as was the bathroom. I am very picky about bathrooms and this was very clean. Quiet, set back from the road, no interior noises even though I learned the next morning there were two church groups staying there. The breakfast was not quite what I have come to expect from Hampton. The hot items were frozen and you heated them in the microwave. I would stay here again. Every staff member we saw was pleasant, friendly and very welcoming.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Steve C, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear WVHighlander,
Thank you very much for the kind words about our hotel and staff. I will make sure and share your review with everyone. Sorry about the breakfast we should be making great breakfast improvements next year with our renovation.
Next time your in our hotel please say hello.
Thanks for staying with us!
Steve Cotton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
tobeor82b
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel is older, but still nice. The room had a nice desk to work from with internet in the room. Parking was free. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included with the room, but didn't care for it much. The cereal, yogurt, nuts, and fruit were very nice. The hot breakfast was a sandwich you take from the small refrigerator and put into a microwave. Just didn't taste that good, but I am sure some really enjoyed them. Being able to make your own hot waffle was very nice and they had different kinds of hot tea which I enjoyed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tobeor82B,
Thank you very much for the compliments on my hotel and staff. These comments make my day. We are sorry about the lack of hot breakfast items next year we will improve our selection in the hot food area.
Thank you very much for staying with us and please say hello on your next visit.
Eatonton, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel is a little older and it seems to be near the edge of a bad area, yet it's conveniently located to highways, shopping, restaurants, the university, speedway etc. The TV reception, and the number and location of outlets, was poor. If you're there on business, there is only a table, not a desk with a work chair. The fitness center, located near the elevator, doesn't open until 6AM, which was too late for my schedule, so I was unable to use it; however, it had 2 treadmills, 1 eliptical, 1 stair climber and a balance ball. A free breakfast buffet is open 6-10, but I didn't eat there. Vending machines are on floors 1, 3 & 6 for snacks and every floor for soda. The pool is open 9AM-10PM. Valet laundry is available M-F - out by 8AM and in by 6PM. I didn't receive a USA Today the first morning. Check-in was very busy. Although there were 2 clerks, one was new and in training. Next time in the area, I would probably try someplace else, although I didn't have a bad experience.

Room Tip: 6 floors. End of hall "00" & "03" and "25" & "26". N...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear DeeDee134,
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor. We will be going through a room renovation starting in March and we are adding outlets and the new features will be business friendly. We do make exception if you need to use our workout facility earlier than 6AM.
I wish the next time your in the area please give me a call and give us another try so we can show you are Hamptonality.
Thanks for staying with us.
704-548-0905
Carrboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I did not care for this Hampton. The food was terrible. The coffee was putrid; I went to Starbucks to drink my coffee which in essence added $5 to my fare. In addition, I asked for a bottle opener at the desk; they did not have one. So, I went shopping for one which added another $4 to my fare!
The hotel advertises that it is into recycling and reusing. Until you get to the breakfast...Meals are served on styrofoam which is a known carcinogen and pollutes the landfills. It does not decompose!
The meal options were mostly white breads and pastries, rubbery eggs and high fat sausage and other options. The only whole grain options were raisin bran and gloppy oatmeal. YUK. I was afraid to eat the melon offered since who knows what preservatives were in them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Newsmediamajor,
Thank you very much for your response on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry for the problems you encountered at my hotel. We are working on improving our food choices at breakfast. I will work on getting better products that are biodegradable.
I wish you would give us another try in the future and see if we can do better.
Powder Springs, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was a little disappointed with my stay at the Hampton Inn. Usually have a great experience anytime I stay at the one in Ohio, but not this time. Our hotel room seemed very humid. So humid that the floor actually felt a little damp. Also true in my mothers room across the hall. Our room was never cleaned...we returned from our trip to Carowinds to find our room had not been touched, towels never replaced, bed was untouched. When I called to get more towels, I had to go down to the front desk to get them and they didn't give us the wash clothes. Breakfast could have been better...also. So, next time I'm in Charlotte, I will be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Steve C, General Manager at Hampton Inn University Place, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Ymontgomery128,
I am so sorry for the problems you had at our hotel. We are a new management team at the Hampton Inn are looking into the humidity issues at the hotel.
Again, I am so sorry for your experience and I hope you can give us another try in the future.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed here on last night in Charlotte. It was very clean and comfortable. Location was easy to find and had a great night sleep. Staff friendly. Only had problem with business center. We were not abe to print out boarding passes and seems like this was ongoing problem for hotel staff. Good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Salem, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here because it was close to the IKEA store. No problems, the room was typically what I would expect from a Hampton Inn. Comfy bed, clean and attractive room. Convenient location for shopping and dining.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king room on the sixth floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn University Place? Share your experiences!