“What you expect from a Residence Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road

You added Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road to your Saves list
Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5816 Westpark Drive, Charlotte, NC 28217 (Montclaire South)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Holiday Shop n' Stay
Ranked #56 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
New York City, New York
“What you expect from a Residence Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here for a friends wedding. Like every other Residence Inn it looks and feels the same. The staff are strong. The accommodations are what they need to be. The location works well with lots of food options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Residence Inn C, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. We were glad to hear that our Residence Inn represents the Brand well and that our Staff are knowledgeable and trained in what they do. We hope you had a great time at the wedding! We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Eastern NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our family of four just came back from a three night stay at this hotel. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath, suite with a working fireplace and full kitchen, inlcuding dishwasher. I would highly recommend this hotel.

First the front desk staff (inlcuding management) were extremely polite, pleasant and helpful Everyone in the hotel was friendly. Every employee that you passed said hello or inquired if you needed anything. Reception was welcoming and warm. While we did not partake, apparently there are manager specials every week night where you are offered beverages and snacks.

Next, the free breakfast was delicious. We were only anticiapting a continental breakfast, such as bagels and danish, and were surprised to see a buffet of sausage, eggs, breakfast burritos (with ample fixings) and the like. There was a waffle station, yogurt, parfaits, danish, muffins and a number of different cereal options. There were at least three different coffee options and many teas available. There was also orange and apple juice and milk.

In addition, the rooms were well appointed and extremely clean. Our room reminded me of a small apartment. There were ample supplies offered in the kitchen including pots, pans, dishes, mugs, etc, dishwashing soap and dishwasher detergent. There was also a coffee maker, microwave, full size fridge and plenty of cabinet space for an extended stay. I cannot stress enough how clean the rooms are - not even a streak on the mirrors in the bathroom! There were three large flat screen tvs,(one in each bedroom and one in the living room area). The beds were comfortable and each bed came with lots of pillows. The rooms came equipped with paul mitchell shampoo and conditioner (which was re-supplied daily), and soaps. There were plenty of towels that were changed daily (or not, if you wished). We found the hotel to be very quiet.

Next, the grounds are well maintained and clean . While it was not open (January), there is a nice in ground pool, with tennis courts and a grill. The area appeared very safe and secure. Parking was ample and close to our entrance.

The location is great. There were a few restaurants within walking distance. There is plenty to do within a short drive. We took the light rail into the city of Charlotte and had a lovely time going to museums and restaurants and shopping.

In sum, this is a wonderful, welcoming hotel, with friendly staff that is close to everything. I would highly recommend this hotel. Thank you to the staff of Residence Inn for making our short getaway, so nice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing such a thorough review. We are very happy your time with us was great and that we met your family's needs. We hope you will visit with us again soon!
Western NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

It is a cold, heavily rainy evening with freezing sleet and snow predicted. My flight was just cancelled, and I am LOVING this old style Res Inn....because the room has a fireplace. Everything else is secondary...but to give a full rounded review -

This is an older chalet style property, but they have added a new, dorm style building. So take your pick when you make your reservation. I don't mind the chalet style, so always take one of these rooms, I like the EZ access. They are slightly, very very slightly, run down. But very clean, well maintained, and the price was in line with condition. Check in was quick, and staff pleasant.

There are several restaurants in almost walkable distance. A major high end mall with some phenomenal restaurants is a few miles down the road. A standard mall with chain restaurants is a few miles in the other direction. Carowinds is nearby, as is downtown. The airport is less than 5 miles, and the intersection of I85 and I77 is equidistant. All in all, a centralized location with hop on/hop off accessibility to 77.

All things considered, I would definitely stay here again. Especially on a cold rainy night...because, did I mention? Many rooms have a fireplace.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Residence Inn C, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We see that you are a seasoned traveler. We appreciate your honest, well rounded review highlighting the different buildings we have for different preferences. And yes, it is nice that most our suites have fireplaces. Our original buildings have working fireplaces while our newer building has gas fireplaces. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

The other reviews must be fake! After staying a night a this place, I am convinced that they paid someone to write good reviews. This place is old, outdated, & the "renovations" that took place several years ago are blinded by the 1980's stove, rusted fridge that makes loud noises every couple hours. Good luck getting any sleep at this place! For the money they they charge, you could stay some place much nicer! This is the bottom of the barrel of Residence Inn's & quite frankly surprised that Marriott has its name on this location...Its more like a Motel 8!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest, we are very sorry we did not meet your expectations. We are an extended stay property and we specialize in accommodating long term guests staying for special projects and trainings. Since you stayed only one night, you may not have interacted with our staff since you made no mention of them. They are a fantastic staff and that is what our previous reviewers make mention of since most of them spent more than one night with us. Our last renovation was in 2006 and yes we are due for another one this year and all that you mentioned will be replaced. Perhaps you would have been happier in Building 11 since this building was built in 2000 and houses our One and Two Bedroom Suites. Our appliances are newer and the rooms are more typical of the other Residence Inns you may have stayed in. Some guests prefer our condo/apartment style suites when staying long term. They feel like apartments. Many who travel for just a few days prefer our newer building (Bldg 11) that is 3 stories. Again, we are very sorry. Please contact me if you would like to discuss further. - Tina Crossland, 704-319-3571
Birmingham, al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Excellent service from the front desk to housekeeping to breakfast. It is obvious all employees care about the relationship with the customer. Say "Hi" to Ms. Winkler at the front desk for me. I'll stay here again when in the Charlotte area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Residence Inn C, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your review and glad you felt well cared for. The Staff at the Residence Inn by Marriott Charlotte South at I-77 & Tyvola Rd cares very much for their guests whether they are staying one night or 3 months. We're happy to hear you experience that. Please come stay with us again when you are in Charlotte.

Residence Inn Management Staff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

This is such a wonderful hotel. The staff is kind and very friendly. When we are in the area we make sure to stay at this hotel. The breakfast is great and we know it will be a nice breakfast because they have great food and very nice staff. Friendly atmosphere. Clean nice rooms. Beautiful place. I felt secure and relaxed. To be able to feel at home when your away home is a wonderful feel!! We thank all the people for all the done for us.

• Stayed December 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and just needed a reasonably priced room that did not have a two night minimum stay like the wedding block hotels had. This residence inn was perfectly reasonable. It had a small kitchen, an area for a couch a chair and a tv, and the bed area and the bathroom. It was clean and well kept. It's located right off the highway so it's convenient but not close to the downtown area nor is it in a walkable neighborhood. I thought the bed was very soft so I was glad it wasn't a particularly long stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road? Share your experiences!