“Rooms Rough Around the Edges” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport

You added Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2700 Little Rock Road, I-85 & Little Rock Rd, Charlotte, NC 28214   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #73 of 170 Hotels in Charlotte
Dallas, TX
“Rooms Rough Around the Edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Positives- the location is about 5 minutes to and from the airport.... The service from the courtesy shuttle(make sure you bring their phone number to call them when you need to be picked up) and the staff was outstanding.....The beds had these conforming mattresses, something I've never seen at other hotels, so it made sleeping very comfortable...There was speedy internet access in the rooms
Negatives- The room had a "heavy" smell of cigarettes....The coffee maker produced un-drinkable coffee....The bathrooms need significant upgrades as the tile was cracking and there were some mildew spots...The area is dark and in an unusual location. Did not see any restaurants in walking distance, but even if there was, I would just eat at the restaurant in the lobby
Overall, a $150 a night stay at this location is a little steep. I would price shop around. If you are looking for just a place to sleep, this location would suffice

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We were just overnight before catching a flight home.
The hotel is easy to find and near major highways although a U turn is required to enter the driveway.
Lots of parking close to the doors.
Very easy to get to airport.
The TripAdvisor recommendation was mixed at best but I knew the Marriott brand was pretty good and we wanted to be near the airport.
We had reserved an upgraded room for only $15 more and for $109 we ended up with a suite! I thought there had been a mistake. It appears all rooms have been redecorated. Very modern style but comfortable. Two reasonably large screen TV's. A very comfortable bed and a large bathroom. Had a small fridge. There was some beer and wine for sale at a reasonable price from the desk area.
Staff were not overly friendly but were business like and looked after all our needs which was fine with us.
Breakfast was full or continental at a reasonable price. Being buffet style you can have all you want. My wife just wanted a muffin and coffee. Me, the whole thing but they only charged me for one breakfast, $8 I think. There was a staff member present to help.
I guess the only problem was finding a place to eat after we checked in the night before. Being near the airport there was a few non licenced "take out" style restaurants in the area. We drove (we still kept the rental) about 2 miles on Wilkson Blvd towards downtown. We drove by a place called the Ranch House. It looked like a private club as there was only a small sign and the windows were covered. We turned around and luckily, a couple was just leaving. They recommeded the shrimp cocktail so we went in. It was a local steakhouse and some seafood.
Nothing fancy (read expensive) but good food and lots of it.
TripAdvisor reviews had suggested there was a lot of noise from aircraft. Well, it is very near the airport! They have a shuttle by the way. By 10:00 pm, the number of flights reduced and once asleep, there was no problem. The hotel was very quiet.
They are building a major addition to the hotel which will about double the size. There was no construction while we were there (weekend) but assuming one was up by 8:00 am I cannot see noise would be a problem.
So, the Marriott Courtyard was considerably better than other airport hotels we had used and it took less than 5 minutes to get to the rental car return! Good value.

Room Tip: Try the upgrade
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on the last night of our honeymoon. I wish I would have stayed across the street at the Holiday Inn. We wanted to stay near the airport because we had an early morning flight. The Ventilation wasn't working in our room. The hotel was loud. The linens were not what I normally anticipate from Marriott properties. The service was mininal and inattentive. They were doing construction on the building and they put us in a room right by the construction---RIGHT BESIDE our room. We could hear the hammering and clammering of machines. It was just dreadful. I was sad that I cannot relive that night and stay somewhere else. Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay here!

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you want the best room!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

The hotel offered a package online (nickolodeon activity package). When I arrived to the hotel they tell me they do not have that package. Long story short I paid extra for that and they hotel tells me that my only option is to cancel the reservation and move hotels. They would not refund the extra money I spent to get two activity packages for my two young sons. Also I checked in late after traveling and find it really difficult to just up and leave after me and my kids are tired and in a city we do not know.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

I was quoted one price for a park and fly package by the Marriott telephone representatives, only to be informed that they would not honor that price upon arrival. There was no manager on duty to speak with, and when he called his manager to discuss our situation, he would not allow me to speak with him. Not a single concession was offered. I was simply told that they had no intention of giving me the park and fly rate that I was quoted, and if I left my car at their hotel it would promptly be towed.

Their parking rate is $50, which is the equivalent of 13 days in the long term lot. It's a ridiculous fee - the percentage of people who actually save money by parking here and taking the shuttle have to be in the low single digits. The long term shuttles at the airport run every 10-15 minutes, and are closer to the terminal. The Courtyard shuttles run every half an hour. They apparently expect you to pay more for this inconvenience.

Continental breakfast is $7 per person. We found this out when the waitress mentioned this after taking our drink order, because there are no signs to this effect anywhere. We quickly canceled our drink orders and drove into the city for a great brunch at Mert's, for about the same price as the Courtyard's inadequate breakfast.

The hotel itself... it's mediocre at best. Our toilet had a constant drip, the exterior doors didn't open even with a keycard, the TV is small, and the room layout is poor.

The exercise room is just that - a room. It has one treadmill, one eliptical, and one exercise bike. Yeah.

It's near the airport, yes, but the Charlotte airport is not in a very good part of town, so I wouldn't even consider that much of a perk. We would have been far better off staying somewhere closer to town, where we ended up eating, and just driving ourselves to the airport from there. Because of their unwillingness to honor the park and fly rate that we were quoted, we ended up parking at the airport anyway.

For $100, the rooms should be better. For a decent hotel chain, the service was disastrous. Their parking rates are borderline thievery. Just don't stay here. There are better, cheaper hotels with more friendly service. This is not a real Courtyard by Marriot. It's a low end hotel being run by people who treat it as such.

Go elsewhere. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

Basic hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lobby needs updating
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

Really nice friendly hotel - the staff are great and very helpful. Unfortunately the hotel is almost directly under the take off path and planes leave Charlotte right through the night.

Nice beds, very comfortable and good rooms which are clean and tidy.

Very efficient and helpful pickup / dropoff service to the airport or rental car locations.

Steve

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport? Share your experiences!