“Excellent visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chapel Hill University Inn

Save Saved
You added Chapel Hill University Inn to your Saves list
Chapel Hill University Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 N. Fordham Blvd., Hwy 15-501 at Eastgate, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 (Formerly Holiday Inn Chapel Hill)   |
Ranked #12 of 16 hotels in Chapel Hill
Wanaque, New Jersey
“Excellent visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

A friend and I traveled from NJ to help my son just moved into an apartment in Chapel Hill. While being somewhat familiar to the area, I was not aware of the Chapel Hill University Inn. From our entrance,into the lobby, I knew it was going to be a fun stay. The decor is a dedication to NC University sports teams and was filled with Tar Heels products and signs. It was a cozy and welcoming lobby where everyone was very friendly. The rate was incredible which made the experience even better. We were placed in a room in the baseball section overlooking the pool. The room was clean and nicely decorated. We did have a problem with the hair dryer but service quickly came up and fixed it.
The hotel is located close to stores, restaurants, and the main stip of Franklin Avenue.
We took advantage of the free breakfast included one morning and found it to be excellent. The girl working was accommodating and made sure we had whatever we needed. There was fruit, cereal, bagels, waffles, and more. We also used the pool our second day and it was so enjoyable. The area provides tables, chairs, pool toys, and towels.
I will definitely be back and will be bringing my 12 year old who I know will love the experience.. You couldnt ask for a better hotel in the area offering the atmosphere, the cleanliness, the friendly staff,, and the great price..

Room Tip: Pool view is great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Gibsonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel was necessary, because our daughter had an emergency surgery and the entire family needed a place to stay. The room was clean and comfortable. Thanks again for giving us a discount since the Ronald McDonald house was full

Room Tip: Inexpensive and clean
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Brookeville, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was there for 2 nights this summer. Upon arrival, the exterior seemed very dated.
However, the rate was good so I decided to keep my online reservation.
I was told that my room had been "upgraded."
when I found this corner room, # 121, a nonsmoking one, it was a few meters from
the pool. The room was comfortable even though dated. The biggest problem
was the room location. There was a gazebo just in frontbof my room. The corner
position and the gazebo sitting area both created a lot of noise!

Room Tip: Do not go to a downstairs corner room near the pool!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is dated, but I like that it is not a chain and has personal touches. I stayed on the courtyard by the pool. Beautiful plants, a gazebo with Adirondack chairs, a nice pool. The room was clean and basic with two comfortable beds and a TV, ref. microwave. I upgraded for the club level breakfast and highly recommend. Elizabeth (I think that was her name) was very helpful and attentive. Breakfast is waffles, cereal, bagels. Fruit, yogurt, coffee, etc. a value.

This isn't a luxury hotel but it has a lat more charm than many chains. It was a good value for our family. We weren't in the room much as we were there for a team camp at UNC. I will stay again.

Room Tip: On courtyard by pool!
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am here on business on a weekend. The clerk placed me in a poolside room on the first floor. Avoid the soccer ball room.

The main problem was evident when I walked in the room - a very loud air conditioner that rattled louder than a hotel bathroom. A maintenance man came, and he put a cardboard shunt in the air conditioner - it was still loud, but about the level of a hotel bathroom with shakes.

I put something in the refrigerator, which was not cold, and smelled this bad marinara smell. I placed drink inside and found that someone had left an old takeout box with contents. Later I would discover the fridge was not plugged in.

The clock is blinking and not set at the time, and the room appeared old and dirty, with grime stuck in the grooves of the furniture. There is mold in the phone covering - like actual black spots. The towels are thin and old ratty tan - only two for two people. There are only three lights - dim and yellow, and as I am on business, I need more light to study.

I have had two many-legged visitors - one gnat and a very large spider hurtling toward me from the bathroom - like an inch-big large. He is presently covered by a trash can while I decide what to do with him.

Also, note the time written. 3:57 a.m. Yes, because I am near the highway and the pool, I not only hear the sounds of wild frat boys (why are they here in June?) getting their jollies at 2am, but also the sounds of the nearby busy street. Right outside. Horns and all.

There is a damp feeling to the room, and though the double locks make me feel more secure, the yelling and the traffic outside is disconcerting, and loud air conditioner rattle and fridge going on and off unnecessarily loud. Every time someone enters or leaves a room, there is a slam - so count on sleeping late and waking early. The whole place reminds me of a beach motel that's about 40 years old and two blocks from the beach.

I guess the place hasn't needed to make changes because of its proximity to the college and its team allegiance, but I'd pick the supposedly 2-star Comfort Inn over this place any day of the week. It was clean, well maintained and quiet. And there were four towels and no bugs! I can't speak to breakfast, as I haven't had it yet, but I don't think it can bring up this rating.

Not recommended.

Room Tip: Don't pick a lower floor (bugs) and don't pick a room with pool or highway traffic. I'd...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was in Chapel Hill for two weeks and I honestly thought it was a great hotel, I had free breakfast every morning (if you choose the Deluxe option its about $5 more and well worth it). The people are very friendly as well as helpful. They also offer a free shuttle to the UNC campus which was very helpful in getting around.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Having stayed at the Hotel 2 times, I have found the hotel to be as I would say Fantastic. The rooms are Spotless, Fresh aroma, and New Furnishings. The Pool and surrounding area is well policed and free of litter and trash. Their Staff is first rate and work hard to please their guest.

I look forward to staying at his hotel again.

Room Tip: Book ahead and speak with the staff prior to arrival
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Chapel Hill University Inn? Share your experiences!