“you get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Chapel Hill

You added Quality Inn Chapel Hill to your Saves list
Quality Inn Chapel Hill
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1740 Fordham Blvd, Hwy 15-501, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 (Formerly Hampton Inn Chapel Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Chicago
“you get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It's an older hotel and the rooms show it. But, older also means pretty landscaping. So, if you will be spending little time in the room, this location allows you to drive into town quickly and enjoy a nice property. Staff are friendly and helpful and competent. Breakfast offered a few more selections than standard quality inn fare. Air conditioners are very noisy and rooms can seem dark, but hey, you aren't paying top dollar! You'll get your dollar's worth. Be warned, it is difficult to find this place the first time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Alvin S, General Manager at Quality Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your comments regarding our landscaping and breakfast selection. I am sorry to hear that the room you were in was not to your complete satisfaction and will look into rectifying it. Thank you again and please come back to visit if in our area again so we can make a 5 star impression!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This review is to give a heads up to anyone who feels that budget hotels are fine- or hey, how bad can they be. I had stayed here a few months ago for four nights w/o incident, so I decided to stay one night before I could move to the better equipped Sheraton a few blocks away. The morning I checked out I was rushed, had a business meeting, and I admit I carelessly left my money belt in the room. A few hours later when I checked in the Sheraton I realized my error but I thought the people would be at least somewhat honest at the Quality Inn. They had my money belt wrapped in plastic and the only reason I opened it was to thank them and give a $20 to the front desk. But lo and behold, there was no money to give because every dollar had been wiped clean from the money belt. (Hey, but thanks guys, 'cause you did leave my credit cards and other papers) I told them the money was gone (it was about $200 or so anywhere from 9 to 12 $20 bills I believe) and the staff at the desk pretty much just shrugged. They asked if I wanted the police and said yes, but then realized it was a lost cause. (Later I spoke to a policeman in Chapel Hill who said yes it was a lost cause)
Of course I was careless to forget my money belt which I had removed for a few minutes while preparing my clothes before leaving; however, is it too much to ask hotel staff to display at least one iota of decency or honesty when dealing with its guests. Apparently at this hotel the answer is obvious and a big fat yes. I wouldn't stay here again, and others can use this experience to decide for themselves whether they want to chance it. I would hope that management at the corporate level would act on information like this and not pretend everything is as it should be.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. However, we certainly do not agree with your assessments. There is no validation or proof that any employee took anything during your stay. We followed the proper procedures and called the authorities and you decided not to stay for the investigation. I hope that our trip advisor readers will take all reviews into account and have a clear picture of our hotel.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This property is a little hard to see from the highway, but it turns that into an advantage. It has a nice, quiet parklike setting with lots of greenies and growies, a relaxing spot maybe 300 yards from a busy six-lane boulevard. You can enjoy sitting outside at a picnic table or in a chaise chair.

Someday, some genius is going to come up with a brand that specializes in building an entire chain of just this sort of hotel. Dispense with the requirement that it be located on an offramp, but require that it be in the middle of four to six acres with lots of trees. Maybe you'd have to drive a little out of the way to get to it, there won't be a McDonald's or a not-all-that-good Chinese restaurant within walking distance (as there is with this one), but you'll be able to kick back and enjoy nature. Maybe put some bird feeders out, so there'd be birds chirping and singing all the time.

This property used to be a Hampton Inn (one of those exterior corridor Hampton Inns that they phased out - http://goo.gl/RQmVV - which would explain why it is now a Quality Inn), and is a nicely designed hotel, But they didn't stop there. This one, I noticed, has wood shutters on the inside of the windows, making it a little more difficult for passerby to see inside your room than it would be with just the drape. Nice touch, and not something just anyone would have thought of. I like things like that, and one of the things I don't like about franchised hotels is you don't see enough stuff that not just anyone would have thought of.

This hotel shouldn't be a Quality Inn, anyway. Quality Inn is a second-rate, class B mid-market conversion brand for a hotel that wanted to get into the Choice Hotels system but couldn't pass a punchlist to become a Comfort Inn. This hotel deserves better. Unfortunately, it has no other options unless it defects to Wyndham and becomes a Baymont Inn: the Class A mid-market brands - Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Fairfield by Marriott - won't take exterior corridor properties like this one anymore.

The shuttle service to the hospitals was very handy, particularly since public transportation to and from that part of town is crap (it's not far from I-40 between Chapel Hill and Durham, and probably considered to be on the fringe of the public transit system.)

Breakfast is attended, and by someone who is very attentive and seems to claim it as her own to good effect and to take pride in it. I like fresh biscuits on the breakfast. I would have liked to have had some sausage gravy to put on them, but that's just a personal preference. Maybe they'll like the idea and find room on the breakfast bar for a slow cooker. The breakfast was good. I should probably eat more yogurt, anyway, and stay away from things like those chocolate muffins and biscuits and gravy that add to my growing collection of shirts that don't fit as well as they used to.

Oh, and one more thing - I've seen several hotels keep chocolate chip cookies around in the evening for anyone who happens along to grab a handful of, but these people have the best chocolate chip cookies of anyone: soft-baked and fresh. I don't think even Doubletree's cookies are that good. They only put out a few at a time, to keep people like me from eating them out of house and home, but they're still quite a treat.

And they're really good about keeping a lot of bottled water around to hand out to the guests, at any time of the day or night.

The only criticisms I could make have to do with a common flaw of an older prototype, exterior corridor Hampton Inn that there's not much the management of this one would be able to do much of anything about: the double rooms seem a little on the small side. They could use an extra foot in length, but a lot of it is due to that armoire taking a lot of space because the original designers overlooked to put any other place in the room to hang your clothes. I'm still smarting a little from having gotten up in the middle of the night to go to the can, and stubbing my toes on the desk chair next to the bed.

This would be the hotel I'd pick for any visit to Chapel Hill.

Room Tip: We had two rooms, located some distance apart, and both were good, so I don't see how you could...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Alvin S, General Manager at Quality Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review! From the shuttle service, to the breakfast staff all the way down to the cookies, we try to make every guest feel special during their stay. We are so glad we were able to do that in your case and we hope to see you again soon. Please stop by so that I can meet you personally so I can thank you for such a great review!
Massillon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I like to stay in Quality Inns; they are reasonably priced, kept very clean, well located, and I've always had good experiences with the front desk personnel. This one is typical; the person at the front desk helped me get my daughter's and my luggage to my room during a heavy rainstorm while I drove around the hotel to where the room is. Quality Inn's record is spotless as far as I'm concerned!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you so much for your review! I am glad that our staff went above and beyond to help you during your stay. Please do not hesitate to come back to see us again and say hi so I can meet you personally!
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed at this location on two separate occasions recently. The rooms are nice and have an aspect of functional decor in each one, as well as the wooden blinds making for a nice and intriguing touch.

Breakfast runs from 6-9:30 (at least on the weekdays), and there is a decent selection of breakfast food, waffles, cereal, biscuits, etc. They try to have cookies out later in the day.

I share the sentiment that depending on where you are located on the property, it might be a little more noisy. If you're near a parking lot, you tend to get more noise. If you stay in a room further away, it is a lot quieter. The A/C cancels out a bit of the noise, at least in my experience.

The staff is excellent and friendly. I feel like I got a good deal in staying at this hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, if in Chapel Hill.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from parking are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Alvin S, General Manager at Quality Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate the insight you gave us to your stay at the property. I will share with my staff your sentiments of how well they treated you. We truly appreciate all of our guests and hope to see you the next time that you are in our area!
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Perfectly nice motel, clean modernized room, close to UNC, free breakfast, nice pool area. But not visible from the road and with just a small sign. GPS didn't help - it's on a service road parallel to a highway. But once I found it, no complaints.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We do realize with some GPS systems our hotel may be a little challenging to find. Please do not hesitate to call us and we shall give you better directions with a personal touch!
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Our room was clean and in a nice area. Great value for the room. The staff was nice especially the breakfast guy. He even toke time to show me how to use waffle machine. Will gladly stay here again if in town again.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate each and every one of our guests and I hope you will come to visit us again when you are in town.

Been to Quality Inn Chapel Hill? Share your experiences!