“I love the Carolina Inn!” 5 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia
“I love the Carolina Inn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I first visited this establishment in June 2009. My review at that time was not very favorable. It took a few years for my husband and me to return but we did so recently. I can't emphasize enough how much The Carolina Inn has improved. From the moment we arrived, our stay was absolutely perfect. The valets are all college students who are eager to please and very friendly and helpful. The front desk staff is very welcoming with the warm chocolate chip cookies. Our room was a beautiful corner room with dormers, elegant furnishings and beautiful colors. The room felt like a luxurious guest room at an estate. Our dinner at the Carolina Crossroads was so, so delicious and elegant. Make sure you visit the bar for their famous burgers - the best. The bartenders are great company. This Inn is so charming and beautiful. We visited during the holidays and the Christmas tree greets you at the main entrance. Beautiful. I can't say enough about how nice the entire experience is at The Carolina Inn. You must give it a try - you won't be disappointed. We will return many times in the future.

Room Tip: A small upgrade puts you in a very nice room. Much nicer than any chain hotel at a significantly lo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
bsmy84
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

The title pretty much says it.

It's an old, traditional hotel with a fine reputation.

It has a restaurant and several banquet facilities, all of the five star caliber.

It's within the town of Chapel Hill itself ... very picturesque and all.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I arranged a "ladies afternoon out" for my sister-in-law, college-aged daughter, and I the Friday after Thanksgiving so the the gentlemen of the family could do manly things at home (ie, chop wood, fix the toilet etc). We decided to go to the Carolina Inn for Afternoon Tea as a friend of mine raved that it was a fun girly thing to do. The Inn's website said that Tea was served in the large airy hotel lobby that overlooks the garden in the center of the looped drive. Part of the experience is to "see and be seen" in the lobby. We were first disappointed to discover that the Tea location was moved to a small back room that was quite dark and had no view at all. I suspect that since they were in the process of putting up their signature "12 days of Xmas" decorations in the lobby, that they decided to move the Tea. However, no one mentioned this to me when I made my reservation the week before. The table was nicely appointed with bone china tea cups and plates and silver utensils. A tiered plate holder awaited our goodies. After admiring the tableware we noticed that all of our silver knives were dirty. They had a white film (food or dish washing detergent?) and asked the server to get us fresh ones. While she was getting fresh knives, we also noticed that the plates also had the same white gritty film (we did not ask for new plates). The list of available teas was quite nice (maybe 20) and also had lemonade listed for those who don't care for tea. The $20 Tea experience included per person a pot of tea and 2 small tea sandwiches (a tomato/basil spread and cucumber), 2 scones with a choice of clotted cream, homemade berry jam, and lemon curd, 3 cookies (shortbread, a chocolate sandwich cookie, and a petite fore), and 2 dark chocolate-dipped strawberries. It all looked so very lovely on the tiered serving tree. The scones were my favorite. We had to bring some of the goodies home with us as we couldn't eat it all. During our meal, our enthusiasm was dampened once again when we found a piece of old lettuce(?) floating in the creamer. The kitchen was obviously having a a problem with their dish washer but no one seemed to be catching these flaws. We informed the server about our disappointment. She was duly apologetic but didn't offer a recompense for the substandard experience. Overall, I think that under different circumstances it would have been a lovely affair (if the venue had been the lobby and if the dishes and silverware were clean). We were all very disappointed with the Tea, especially since we paid $75 for 3 people (includes automatic 18% tip). If you are interested in trying the Afternoon Tea at the Carolina Inn, it is advisable to ask where it will be held and if they have had their dishwasher repaired.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the Inn. We only had Afternoon Tea there.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Jack S, Director of Sales at The Carolina Inn, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
We are very sorry to learn about your recent experience with our tea service over the Thanksgiving weekend and apologize for providing you and your guests with a poor experience. As you can see from many of the previous reviews this is not the type of experience we typically provide. As the Director of Food & Beverage for the Inn I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about your experience. If you would be kind enough to e-mail your contact information to me directly at jcampbell@carolinainn.com along with a good time to reach you it would be greatly appreciated.
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed at The Carolina Inn for a family wedding - I have to say that I wasn't quite sure what to expect but from the moment we were greeted by the parking valet upon arrival to when we departed for the airport, our stay was nothing short of wonderful. The facility itself is a warm historic building but it's the staff that was really friendly and welcoming who made our stay a great one. I forget their names but the bell staff and the parking valets were fantastic - even in really busy times, they somehow addressed me by name and took care of us right away - all of them really nice - way more than you would expect. The rooms are magnificent and the bar and the restaurant were very nice without being snooty (saw someone else say that in their review, couldn't disagree more!).

If you're in the UNC/Chapel Hill area, definitely stay here - you will not be sorry.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed here for 9 nights in November when visiting my son in chapel hill. The reviews were fantastic so I was expecting the very best. The location is second to none - I had hired a car but didn't really need it - walking is the best way to find your way around Chapel hill. It is a truly beautiful place. My room was not small - on the second floor with two large queens in it - so the small rooms referred to in the other reviews must be the third floor attic rooms. The breakfast is truly gorgeous and the staff in the restaurant sooo nice with a really warm welcome - well done to them. The only blip was the reception staff who say all the right things but the smiles don't reach their eyes - so I didn't approach them much. Didn't like having to pay the 12 dollars a day for the parking on top of the rates.

Room Tip: Go for the twin queens on the second floor - this may help avoid the small rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I stayed at this hotel because it is conveniently located on the UNC Campus. My room was on the 3rd floor and was very quiet. I had 2 large queen beds, and I thought the room was pretty spacious. The bathroom was a little small (I think the door and the toilet were less than a foot of each other), but clean. There was a nice flat screen TV, coffee maker with coffee and Numi organic teas, and nice toiletries (Pharmacopoeia organic brand). At check-in you get a delicious chocolate chip cookie, and at night they leave a small bag of chocolate candy and a little note on your bed. I didn't really pay much attention to the pictures lining the halls or the furniture/decor in the hallways, but it all looked very well-thought out and cozy. There was a small "business center" on my floor which was a tiny room with a computer and printer. I appreciated having access to a computer since I didn't bring a laptop. Room service was quick and efficient. If you want breakfast, you fill out a form and leave it on your door overnight with a time you want them to bring it. I ordered a pastry basket which ended up a little less than $13 (including tax and tip) for 4 small pastries. A little pricey, but delicious. Self-parking is $12.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Winter Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

This is a classic Colonial style Hotel with a lot of History - literally all over the Hotel is a documented history of UNC, which proves fascinating.

My room seemed recently updated, but still in a Colonial stye - Hardwood Floors and marble baths, antique armoirs for the TVs, and desks for working, four poster beds, and lots of Carolina Blues and light yellows.

It is a charming, comfortable, friendly hotel that is warm and inviting for the casual traveller, yet fully prepared for the business traveller and meeting planner. It is a well appointed full-service hotel that could accomodate any type of visit to Chapel Hill.

I enjoyed my two days there very much.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Carolina Inn? Share your experiences!