“Comfortable and Clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
“Comfortable and Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Let me start out the review by saying I might be slightly biased based on the hotel surprising me with a room upgrade upon arrival. Can't tell you how much I appreciated my own room and bathroom after traveling with kids! The room is your standard Residence Inn fare - we had two bedrooms, living area and kitchen. Loved the extra space and kitchen area. It was a comfortable and pleasant stay. Breakfast and wifi were included in the rate - which, especially using AAA, was very fair. I would stay here again!

The hotel was convenient to UNC Chapel Hill - under ten minute drive.

Room Tip: Our room was in a separate building so don't unpack the car until you find out where your room i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights.
It's very clean, staff is friendly, breakfast is complimentary and is delicious! The beds are comfortable and it was quiet. The hotel itself is beautiful and is set up on a hill. We will definitely stay again!

Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stay at the Residence Inn for a week (or longer) annually for the past few years when I'm in town for business. The staff I've met are nice. I've used their gym and laundry room (coin). The suite is always pleasant and clean. Plenty of parking even at night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel at least five times in the past few years. The hotel is clean and the rooms are spacious with all the typical extended stay features. Lately, the hotel is starting to look a bit worn. Nonetheless, I am sure we will continue to frequent this Residence Inn due to the proximity to local colleges and amenities offered.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

OKay, so I have been coming to Chapel Hill for visits over the past 5 years and still haven't found the perfect hotel. This time we thought we'd try the Marriott Residence Inn. The pros: a 2 room suite, a mini kitchen, great location for visiting Chapel Hill, a nice lobby, a pretty outdoor pool and patio area and free breakfast. The cons: not within walking distance of stores, campus or restaurants, lots of walking to get to lobby from room, a little worn, very dim lighting in the bathroom and most of all TERRIBLE CELL PHONE RECEPTION FOR VERIZON WIRELESS in our room. This was a deal breaker for me as we could not reach or be reached by cell phone most of the time. We did get a little reception if we stood by the window, but would be disconected repeatedly. So I would not stay here again only for that reason.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

When I arrived at this hotel, the front desk attendant was very friendly and efficient in checking me in. The hallway leading to elevator was very dirty with dirt and debris everywhere. The elevator was so hot that I broke a sweat on my up to the third floor. The air conditioning in the hallway was relieving when I got off the elevator. The hallway on the third floor was better but not exactly clean. My room was cool (thankfully, since it was 95 degrees outside) and it seemed to be very clean. I dropped my stuff off and headed out, making sure that I took the stairs this time. When I came back, I went to start the shower and ran into a problem. The handle would not stay in place so that if it fell one way the water was extremely hot and if it fell the other way it was very cold. I called the front desk and they moved me to another room down the hall. On the way down the hall you could smell everything that had been cooked in the other rooms and the various odors came together to make a rancid smell. If you want breakfast you had better be up early, otherwise you won't be eating. To be fair the bed slept comfortably and I did appreciate the kitchenette. I just left this hotel mildly annoyed and I don't know if I would go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cornelius, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed on a quick trip to visit friends and watch July 4th fireworks. Once again, hotel staff (desk and housekeeping) were friendly, efficient and competent. Our rear facing room was clean, comfortable and Quiet. I still think that lighting should be improved in the bathroom and a nightlight provided for safety. Decor was attractive and everything was in good repair. No popcorn found in kitchen area ( as in all other stays at Residence Inns:( ). Minor, to be sure.

Complimentary breakfast was adequate...more fresh fruit would have been nice. Love the oatmeal with excellent selections of toppings.

Automatic check- out without stopping at the desk was great. Will definitely be back when in the area. Location wonderful for anyone visiting a Chapel Hill area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear are very quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Chapel Hill? Share your experiences!