“Lacking Hospitakity” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Lacking Hospitakity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel. I've stayed 3 x since it opened. Each time I notice how poor the actual service / hospitality is.

Don't get me wrong, everyone there is very nice, just not enough staff. Calling to front desk often no answer, upon check in no carts for self help and no one in sight to help initially with luggage.

Some mold in shower.

All above being mentioned the room is comfortable, facility nice. They need more staff

• Stayed August 2013
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Richard N.

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. We're embarrased that our hospitality was lacking during your stay with us. You are absolutely right that we should be answering all phones promptly and we should have adequate staff in place to help you through the arrival process.

We had our houskeeping team address the mildew in the shower first thing this morning. We should have noticed it and treated it before you even checked into the room, and we will work to make sure to this kind of oversight doesn't happen again..

We agree that we need to have a more robust staff so we can address all our guests' needs throughout the day and night. We have been struggling with that issue, but are committed to making it happen. Please allow us a chance to continue building and training our team, and we hope you'll give us another try on your next visit to Chapel Hill.

We take your feedback very seriously and will be using it to improve the quality of our hotel's experience.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Southeast Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This hotel is a little bit above our usual price ceiling, but we needed to be downtown, and it was easily the best alternative. The service, room quality, breakfast buffet, lounge areas, and everything else were as good as we've found anywhere. Utterly irreproachable. There is no pool, but downtown hotels rarely have one, so this didn't disappoint us. One thing I particularly liked about this hotel is that they don't nickle and dime you to death, as downtown hotels often do. The room had a small fridge (at no extra charge) that was NOT loaded with hideously expensive "honor bar" items, and thus usable for fruit, juice, etc; the breakfast buffet was included in the room price, and their indoor parking is FREE, a rarity among downtown hotels, in my experience. Pounce!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
meredeschats,

Would you like to work on our marketing team?!? Just kidding, but your review touches on all the things that we strive to deliver for our guests! We are so glad that you appreciated our approach in providing all the basics without extra charge at The Franklin.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience. We hope that you'll be back to visit soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a very nice hotel for the Research Triangle. It's right in the middle of Chapel Hill within easy walking of all the stores. Also, because it's next to UNC and a few parks, my morning jogs were a pleasure. Just know that they call it Chapel Hill for a reason. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, but it did have a couple of issues here and there that I'll get into.

The rooms were very comfortable, very clean and nicely sized. The king bed had terrific sheets and plenty of soft feather pillows. Wifi worked instantly and didn't fail us the entire trip so kudos there. Also, it was nice that the room had a sitting area with a couch so it was easy to relax when we weren't touring around the area or meeting up with friends.

Service and hospitality benefited from Southern charm. Everyone was SUPER friendly and courteous and greeted us with big smiles every time we went into the hotel.

Garage parking was on site and covered (it rained hard one night so this was appreciated). Also, breakfast was included in our fare. Moreover, it was terrific each morning. Couldn't believe how good the orange juice was, nicely rich coffee, fresh sausage and terrific french toast. Even the eggs were freshly made rather than powdery. It was a pleasure each morning.

So, some of the issues: first, one of the lights in the bedroom was blown and maintenance never got around to repairing it even though we had notified the front desk. Second, the towels could be better. They just didn't feel luxurious. Moreover, the washcloths in particular were paper thin.

Anyway, other than that, the stay was pleasant and as I mentioned, we'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hello nycebo,

We appreciate your candid feedback about your experience staying at The Franklin Hotel. We're glad you enjoyed the services, amenities, and location. But we're very embarrassed and disappointed that we fell short on some of the basics.

The light in your bedroom should have been checked and working before you even got to the room, and we certainly should have fixed it when you gave us the opportunity by letting us know. Our teams failed to communicate with each other and it fell through. We have discussed this as a group already this week and will focus on better follow through among ourselves.

You're right that our terry linens are in need of replacement. We have just sourced a new, much more luxurious product and are placing replenishment orders as we speak. You can expect brand new, lavish bath towels, hand towels, washcloths, and bathmats on your next visit.

We hope you'll be back soon - and thank you again for your feedback!
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay! Everything was great and the staff was excellent! Despite a local flood, the staff relocated the bar and never missed a beat. The rooms had all the latest updates and the beds were great!

• Stayed July 2013
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Steve G,

Thanks for your post here - we appreciate your understanding this week as we dealt with the aftermath of the water back up in our hotel.

With all the fans, dehumidifiers, and clean up crew around the place, we figured that having a place to get a drink was at the top of the list. Glad you enjoyed your stay - see you next time!

Jay
Johns Creek, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was in Chapel Hill picking up my daughter from the UNC Lacrosse Camp. I've traveled a lot internationally, and am kind of picky about where I stay, so I read through a lot of reviews before booking here. I was traveling alone, and wanted to be close to campus so I could walk over and watch the girls play. The location was great...right on the edge of campus, so an easy walk to get to where I wanted to go.

The first thing that I noticed was a wonderful, spa-like scent in the lobby. Immediately relaxed me after a 6 hour drive to get there! The young woman checking me in was friendly, professional and fast.

I loved that there was free internet, as I needed to work on this trip. I also loved the free, covered parking, and the free breakfast.

My room was wonderful...because I was traveling alone, I booked a king "mini". It was the perfect size for me, with a great, private balcony that overlooked the treetops. I loved that I could prop open the door to the balcony to let in some fresh air, and listen to the birds in the morning! The bathroom was pretty and very well-equipped. Great toiletries, and lots of clean, fresh, thick towels. The shower was awesome...good pressure, and a shower head with different settings.

Great comfortable bed with lots of soft pillows, with sheets that were crazy soft. Everything in the room was clean and comfortable. And this is a little thing, but sometimes it's the little things, right? :) I'm petite, and usually hotel robes engulf me...most are just enormous! But the robe in this room was a perfect fit for me! Like I said, a little thing, but it made me happy!

Went to the Roberts Lounge for dinner and a glass of wine. The bartender there was wonderful...attentive, interested and always checking on me to see if there was anything else I needed. The smoked salmon appetizer I had for dinner was terrific. And the live jazz band added to the great atmosphere!

The price was right, both for the room and for the food and drinks. I think I expected it to be more expensive because the hotel was so nice...but everything was so reasonably priced, which was a nice surprise!

Terrific breakfast, with good service. All in all, I just really loved this place. I felt relaxed and comfortable here, even as a woman traveling alone. Friendly, attentive service from everyone. I'll definitely be staying here again the next time I'm in Chapel Hill!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Care B,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description of your experience at The Franklin. It seems like you were able to get the best of what we strive to deliver every day, and I'm glad that everything went so smoothly. And we're doubly happy that you were able to make use of the free internet, covered parking, and hot breakfast - all of which we believe are the basics.

The spa scent is a white tea and ginger based fragrance - if you're interested in getting it for your home, I'll be happy to give you the details (919-442-4090).

Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed each part of your stay so much, and we hope that you'll visit again!
Valdese, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed over the weekend for a business/pleasure event. We were impressed with the location, being right on Franklin St. We were able to walk to do a little shopping and eating within minutes of the hotel. All of the staff were very helpful and nice. A free breakfast buffet in the am was a pleasant suprise, and a tip for the service was the least one could do in appreciation. Will be back here again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear g0ttag0girl,

We are grateful to have been your host for a weekend in Chapel Hill. Downtown Franklin Street has so much to offer and it's nice that you were able to conveniently experience it.

Come back soon!
Chapel Hill University Inn
Chapel Hill University Inn
#10 of 16 in Chapel Hill
3.5 of 5 stars 264 reviews

Been to The Franklin Hotel? Share your experiences!