“A good hotel for the area” 4 of 5 stars

The Franklin Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   311 West Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27516   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
New York City, New York
“A good hotel for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a very nice hotel for the Research Triangle. It's right in the middle of Chapel Hill within easy walking of all the stores. Also, because it's next to UNC and a few parks, my morning jogs were a pleasure. Just know that they call it Chapel Hill for a reason. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, but it did have a couple of issues here and there that I'll get into.

The rooms were very comfortable, very clean and nicely sized. The king bed had terrific sheets and plenty of soft feather pillows. Wifi worked instantly and didn't fail us the entire trip so kudos there. Also, it was nice that the room had a sitting area with a couch so it was easy to relax when we weren't touring around the area or meeting up with friends.

Service and hospitality benefited from Southern charm. Everyone was SUPER friendly and courteous and greeted us with big smiles every time we went into the hotel.

Garage parking was on site and covered (it rained hard one night so this was appreciated). Also, breakfast was included in our fare. Moreover, it was terrific each morning. Couldn't believe how good the orange juice was, nicely rich coffee, fresh sausage and terrific french toast. Even the eggs were freshly made rather than powdery. It was a pleasure each morning.

So, some of the issues: first, one of the lights in the bedroom was blown and maintenance never got around to repairing it even though we had notified the front desk. Second, the towels could be better. They just didn't feel luxurious. Moreover, the washcloths in particular were paper thin.

Anyway, other than that, the stay was pleasant and as I mentioned, we'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hello nycebo,

We appreciate your candid feedback about your experience staying at The Franklin Hotel. We're glad you enjoyed the services, amenities, and location. But we're very embarrassed and disappointed that we fell short on some of the basics.

The light in your bedroom should have been checked and working before you even got to the room, and we certainly should have fixed it when you gave us the opportunity by letting us know. Our teams failed to communicate with each other and it fell through. We have discussed this as a group already this week and will focus on better follow through among ourselves.

You're right that our terry linens are in need of replacement. We have just sourced a new, much more luxurious product and are placing replenishment orders as we speak. You can expect brand new, lavish bath towels, hand towels, washcloths, and bathmats on your next visit.

We hope you'll be back soon - and thank you again for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay! Everything was great and the staff was excellent! Despite a local flood, the staff relocated the bar and never missed a beat. The rooms had all the latest updates and the beds were great!

• Stayed July 2013
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Steve G,

Thanks for your post here - we appreciate your understanding this week as we dealt with the aftermath of the water back up in our hotel.

With all the fans, dehumidifiers, and clean up crew around the place, we figured that having a place to get a drink was at the top of the list. Glad you enjoyed your stay - see you next time!

Jay
Johns Creek, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was in Chapel Hill picking up my daughter from the UNC Lacrosse Camp. I've traveled a lot internationally, and am kind of picky about where I stay, so I read through a lot of reviews before booking here. I was traveling alone, and wanted to be close to campus so I could walk over and watch the girls play. The location was great...right on the edge of campus, so an easy walk to get to where I wanted to go.

The first thing that I noticed was a wonderful, spa-like scent in the lobby. Immediately relaxed me after a 6 hour drive to get there! The young woman checking me in was friendly, professional and fast.

I loved that there was free internet, as I needed to work on this trip. I also loved the free, covered parking, and the free breakfast.

My room was wonderful...because I was traveling alone, I booked a king "mini". It was the perfect size for me, with a great, private balcony that overlooked the treetops. I loved that I could prop open the door to the balcony to let in some fresh air, and listen to the birds in the morning! The bathroom was pretty and very well-equipped. Great toiletries, and lots of clean, fresh, thick towels. The shower was awesome...good pressure, and a shower head with different settings.

Great comfortable bed with lots of soft pillows, with sheets that were crazy soft. Everything in the room was clean and comfortable. And this is a little thing, but sometimes it's the little things, right? :) I'm petite, and usually hotel robes engulf me...most are just enormous! But the robe in this room was a perfect fit for me! Like I said, a little thing, but it made me happy!

Went to the Roberts Lounge for dinner and a glass of wine. The bartender there was wonderful...attentive, interested and always checking on me to see if there was anything else I needed. The smoked salmon appetizer I had for dinner was terrific. And the live jazz band added to the great atmosphere!

The price was right, both for the room and for the food and drinks. I think I expected it to be more expensive because the hotel was so nice...but everything was so reasonably priced, which was a nice surprise!

Terrific breakfast, with good service. All in all, I just really loved this place. I felt relaxed and comfortable here, even as a woman traveling alone. Friendly, attentive service from everyone. I'll definitely be staying here again the next time I'm in Chapel Hill!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Care B,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description of your experience at The Franklin. It seems like you were able to get the best of what we strive to deliver every day, and I'm glad that everything went so smoothly. And we're doubly happy that you were able to make use of the free internet, covered parking, and hot breakfast - all of which we believe are the basics.

The spa scent is a white tea and ginger based fragrance - if you're interested in getting it for your home, I'll be happy to give you the details (919-442-4090).

Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed each part of your stay so much, and we hope that you'll visit again!
Valdese, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed over the weekend for a business/pleasure event. We were impressed with the location, being right on Franklin St. We were able to walk to do a little shopping and eating within minutes of the hotel. All of the staff were very helpful and nice. A free breakfast buffet in the am was a pleasant suprise, and a tip for the service was the least one could do in appreciation. Will be back here again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear g0ttag0girl,

We are grateful to have been your host for a weekend in Chapel Hill. Downtown Franklin Street has so much to offer and it's nice that you were able to conveniently experience it.

Come back soon!
Kure Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband brought me here for my birthday. Stayed in a king room on 4th floor overlooking Franklin Street, Room was beautiful, romantic and very comfortable. Bathroom a bit small but did not deduct from this rating.

The breakfast among the best we ever had and part of the room rate. The staff all friendly and courteous. The trio playing jazz were phenomenal..come to find out the drummer is Bubba Norwood who played with Ike and Tina Turner, the Monkees and many other famous artists...

We are returning in the fall...looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Balcony room so can enjoy sights and sounds from Franklin Street
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there ivyeddy,

We appreciate your kind feedback about our hotel. I'm glad that The Franklin could be part of your positive birthday experience.

Bubba Norwood is a great drummer, and we're lucky to have him and the other musicians play in our hotel on a regular basis. The band is called the Jim Crisp trio, and Jim is the pianist.

See you in the fall!
SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Nice hotel in great location. Free internet - Free Parking - Free Breakfast. What's not to like? I guess the only knock I can give it is - no tub in bathroom just a shower. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear firepatio,

We appreciate your positive recommendation about The Franklin Hotel - the internet, parking, and breakfast are three must have amenities that we believe should come with the price of the room to offer our guests the most value. Glad you enjoyed them!

I hope the lack of bath tubs in our rooms won't detract you from staying with us in the future.

Thank you for the post!
Northeast Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Very nice hotel, the staff is amazing. Everyone was happy to help you, always a smile on their faces. Made for a pleasant 2 night stay. Was not overyly impressed with the room, but then again-only needed a bed :) The shower was okay, its nice that they are handicap accessible, but that also creates a flooded bathroom floor, water comes out of the shower and all over. Otherwise very nice hotel, right in the heart of Chapel Hill, walking distance to so many restaurants and of course the college.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Deese,

Thank you for sharing your comments about The Franklin.

In our rooms with disabled access showers, we have struggled with a solution to keep the water in the right place. To allow for wheelchair access, there is no threshold or shower enclosure to keep the water in so we will need to work harder to find a better seal to prevent the water from getting out.

I'm happy to hear that you found our staff to be amazing and would like to ensure you get a room with a traditional shower enclosure on your next stay. Please feel free to call me directly when making your reservation at 919-442-4090.

Been to The Franklin Hotel? Share your experiences!