“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 hotels in Chapel Hill
Chicago, Illinois
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I've stayed here several times while traveling to NC. This hotel is right in the heart of Franklin Street and close the university and many bars and restaurants. The staff was professional and attentive. Rooms were a nice size and clean. The bed was comfortable and luxurious linens. The room had a coffee maker and fridge. Parking was a bit tight-the spots are very narrow but it is covered parking which is nice. There is some outside parking too. There is a complimentary sit down breakfast which was very good. This is a fine hotel choice and worth the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Tumon, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

WE stayed here at the Franklin Hotel in Chapel Hill, NC after a 3,000 mile drive across the country and this was to be our last night on the road! What a gift to ourselves! Absolutely charming and comfortable ! Very classic southern old hospitality and a beautiful breakfast served included with our stay. The staff was extremely friendly and professional! I am already planning another trip south to stay there to visit friends and will stay here whenever I am in this area. Beds and bath were fabulous!

Room Tip: The rooms near the gym are wonderful and there is a beautiful seating area in the center of the floo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Had the oppurtunity to spend a night in Chapel Hill the week of Thanksgiving, and thought we'd check out the Franklin Hotel, based on traveler's reviews. With expectations thusly set in place, we chose the hotel for its proximity to restaurants and shopping; as well as being in an area suited for "walkability". We were not disappointed. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable regarding the area's development and history. The in house bar is cozy and well stocked in single malts. We were upgraded to a second floor room with a balcony which fronted Franklin Street and had no issue with noise on a Tuesday evening. The covered parking was secure and convenient. When staying in Chapel Hill, I will call on the Franklin again in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cookeville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel is a real treat. The staff is well trained and very friendly and accommodating, the rooms are clean and extremely well appointed and comfortable as are the atrium areas and the fantastic made to order breakfast that came with my room was sooooo delicious! I wanted to stay a few more days just to try everything on the menu. The Franklin French Toast on sourdough bread was different and very good and the omelets were perfect. It is in walking distance of so many interesting places to shop and browse and very close to the campus and the swimming facility. I was on the third floor with a balcony.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at The Franklin for a wedding the weekend of November 9-11th, 2012 in rooms 5018 and 5019. The hotel is located in the heart of Chapel Hill and the rooms were well appointed. However, the room had a number of things wrong with it and the deal breaker for our stay was the discovery of cockroaches in the middle of the night crawling all over the bathroom floor. My wife turned the lights on in the bathroom around 1am and saw the critters running around. She was ready to pack up and leave then but we had a long drive in the morning so I took care of the roaches and we "slept" uneasily the rest of the night. I reported the roaches to the front desk then and again in the morning at checkout, but they did not have an overly concerned attitude about it and I interpreted this as they have heard reports of roaches before and que seras seras.

PROs:
- Spacious rooms
- Comfortable beds
- Nice breakfast included

CONS:
- Roaches
- Toilet seat was broken and practically falling off the commode (Room 5018)
- Fitted sheet was worn so badly that there were multiple tiny holes located throughout sheet
- Remote to Living Room TV was inoperative

We won't be staying here again based on the roach experience as we had to unpack our bags in the garage upon getting home to ensure we didn't transplant the bugs to a new home. These problems are all correctable, so maybe they can get ahead of the roach issue if they really want to. Again I based my opinion on the response I got from the front desk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
jpmpatel, General Manager at The Franklin Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear rbandy95,

I'm very sorry that you had such an unpleasant experience at our hotel. We clearly failed to provide a clean and comfortable accommodation for you and your family during your visit.

More than 75% of our rooms have open air balconies, and the issue of insects getting into the rooms has come up from time to time - especially during warmer weather. We need to do a better job of preventing this, so we have just partnered with one of the leading pest control companies in the region for a full service, zero tolerance prevention program.

While I'm glad that you enjoyed the spacious rooms and the included breakfast, I am disappointed that we didn't catch the toilet seat, worn sheets, and inoperable remote before you checked in. We have fixed all of these items so that other guests do not have a similar experience.

I'm most embarrassed that the individuals you encountered at our front desk did not display a caring attitude toward you. Please know that we do not take your trust in our hotel lightly. I will be working directly with our front desk team to make sure we are all committed to continually improving the product and service of our hotel, and most importantly to being hospitable when things don't go as they should.

Since we did not deliver on our promise to you as our guest, I don't think you should have to pay for your stay. Please call me at (919) 442 4090 at your convenience so I can arrange that for you.

I hope you will give us another chance to serve you - we'll look forward to it!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I dread when my son graduates from UNC-Chapel Hill because I won't have an excuse to stay at the Franklin Hotel nearly as often! It never disappoints: the staff is well-trained and friendly. The building and public areas are well-maintained, pleasant and very inviting. The rooms are fabulous...what more could there be? Oh...a quick walk to some of Chapel Hill's best restaurants: Lantern, Elaines and Crook's Corner. After a lovely dinner, a drink in the hotel bar with Brian, the nicest barkeep in town, you head up to your well-appointed room with the incredibly comfortable bed and fluffy pillows and have a great night sleep. The next morning brings a lovely breakfast (included in room charge) and if the weather is nice, coffee on your own private patio! It just doesn't get any better. Period.

Room Tip: rooms with balcony are the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Fit and finish of the rooms was lovely and more luxurious than I expected. They gave a nod to Carolina blue without being tacky and going overboard.

The lobby bar and restaurant area was warm and beautiful.

The full, hot breakfast made to order was included in my rate. The service, food, and breakfast room were all fantastic.

The gym was newly renovated and had all the necessary basics, but it was very small.

The one area of improvement would be the service. I found the front desk to be a little unprofessional (instead of just clearly telling me they won't do room upgrades on rooms booked through Expedia, he went on this whole diversion about how I could call Expedia and ask for an upgrade, etc. and if I could work something out through them....). The housekeeping was also an issue. One day I was gone all day, and just because I had my do not disturb up in the morning, they never came back to clean the room. I had to ask for them to come in the evening when I left again to clean. When they did come each day, they forgot to give me new washrags, didn't give me new bottled water, etc. They tended to be very loud and disruptive when knocking on neighbors' doors, even when I was already awake. I think people might have already complained about housekeeping bc they kept putting this little sheet of paper under my door if they tried to come when my do not disturb sign was up, as though they were trying to prove they made an effort or something... It was just a little off.

Overall, I would stay here again because it was convenient and nice. I had an Expedia rate, so the value was good too, especially with breakfast included.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback about your stay at The Franklin Hotel, especially your notes of improvement on our service.

I am sorry that we misinformed you when you asked about that upgrade. We always like to offer upgrades when we have them available, regardless of how a reservation was booked. It seems that we tried to pass you off to Expedia to work something out, when we should have served you directly as our guest.

That's not very hospitable, and I apologize for that. I will be sharing your feedback with our team so that we can be better prepared and informed to give our guests a more professional and smooth experience going forward.

Regarding housekeeping, I'm sorry that we didn't get your room serviced completely during your stay. And we didn't realize the message that we were sending with the note under the door, so we will continue thinking of ways to communicate differently. We want to meet guests' expectations for service without putting the burden on you to have to call us, and we recognize the room for improvement there.

We would love for you to stay with The Franklin Hotel again. And regardless of how you book in the future (Expedia or otherwise), please call me directly at (919) 442 9000 so I can guarantee your upgrade!

Jay Patel

Been to The Franklin Hotel? Share your experiences!